Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Would You Vote for GW in 2008 (if he could run)
Thumbs Up 16 15.53%
Thumbs Down 87 84.47%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Realpolitik - About Bush
Old 09-16-2007, 04:59 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Realpolitik - About Bush

Edit [Sorry for the Political post... but I felt the need. Please keep the comments civil]

I have become disillusioned with GW. In my view his performance is a bit checkered. At first, I thought the press was a bit unfair labeling him as kindly stated (slow). Now I am beginning to wonder. I cannot really comment on his intelligence, but I coming to the conclusion that he is, shall we say, off base.

This war in Iraq is really looking like a very poor move. The problem is that we are in it now. I am inclined to agree that a quick exit is likely to be a bad idea until the place stabilizes somehow.

I agree with his speedy move to go into Afghanistan. That appeared to be home base for those terrorist camps.

The other area is debt. He is worse than the most liberal dems.

I am going to make this poll real simple. Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down.

Forget your party affiliation for a minute.

On average how would you rate GW. Here is your question for the poll:

Given the current line-up of people running for president in 2008. If GW could run again, would you vote for him... Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2007, 05:56 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I vote would to be able to have an "ignore thread" feature so I wouldn't have to see the topic of this thread every day for the next 2 months.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:13 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
I vote would to be able to have an "ignore thread" feature so I wouldn't have to see the topic of this thread every day for the next 2 months.
I agree, that type of feature would be good.

But then again... it is political season, Good Luck!

Of course, you have a rudimentary ability to ignore the thread. Don't click the link.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:53 AM   #4

I like this thread. Hillary 2008. I'm working here in mid-town handing out her literature and getting volunteers. See me at the weekly street fair on 7th.

I have an academic from NYU living next door and he believes GWB is trying to emulate JFK. Specifically these points.

1. JFK is known by his initials also.
2. JFK misguidedly committed us to Vietnam and a very unpopular war in which victory was impossible as proved by the French.
3. JFK used false CIA info with the full support of his defense secretary to invade Cuba and an ensuing fiasco.
4. JFK (evidently drugged senseless at the helm) allowed Russia to build and populate missile silos in Cuba with CIA complicity to foster militarism in the American public.

So notice that with all his blunders, JFK is a national hero. Bush is yet to make that plateau.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:00 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
That would be a thumbs up for Bush then?
Old 09-16-2007, 09:04 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner View Post
I like this thread. Hillary 2008. I'm working here in mid-town handing out her literature and getting volunteers. See me at the weekly street fair on 7th.

I have an academic from NYU living next door and he believes GWB is trying to emulate JFK. Specifically these points.

2. JFK misguidedly committed us to Vietnam and a very unpopular war in which victory was impossible as proved by the French.
3. JFK used false CIA info with the full support of his defense secretary to invade Cuba and an ensuing fiasco.
4. JFK (evidently drugged senseless at the helm) allowed Russia to build and populate missile silos in Cuba with CIA complicity to foster militarism in the American public.

So notice that with all his blunders, JFK is a national hero. Bush is yet to make that plateau.
JFK was also blamed for the recession that was happeing around the time he was killed.

Couldn't get a civil rights bill passed.

Don't for get the womanizing.

It always amazed me how he was held up as a great president while he really didn't do much good and a lot of bad.

In my mind he is up there with Princess Diana - got away with a lot because of appearances.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:15 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Academic, huh? Are we sure he can be trusted...

Quote:
Bush II is known as Dubya, or Bush II, or GWB, so as not to be confused with Bush I, a war hero, and longtime public servant.

Quote:
Though LBJ took it to the next level (hmm, more intitials...)

Quote:
JFK was drugged senseless; what's Dubya's excuse?

OAP, glad you're still lurking in the shadows!. Got a new blog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerEd View Post
That would be a thumbs up for Bush then?
Thumbs up his ass, maybe...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 09-16-2007, 10:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Please keep the comments civil
I'll try! And I'll state up-front that I'm neither a Jack-Ass nor an Elephant Democrat nor a Republican....or any other affiliation.....I vote for whoever I believe will do the best overall job in a particular office. (Some candidates have gone to great lengths to prove me wrong! )

I agree with you that he is off base....waaay off base. I also agreed with his move to go into Afghanistan......but you sure don't hear much about that anymore! So I don't think his #1 priority is about eliminating terrorists and/or terrorism. (IMHO)

As far as debt is concerned....I think it's a level playing field. Neither Dem or Rep is better or worse than the other...only different.

So all parties aside, my vote is Thumbs DOWN!!! In my effort to try to stay civil, I'll just say that, IMHO, he's the WORST president in my life time! And it's partly MY fault, because I helped him get elected the first time. I have since repented!!

Would I vote for him in 2008 (if it were possible).....Heck NO!!! I may be crazy, but I'm NOT stupid!!! I'd vote for a tree stump first!!! Or maybe even Hillary!
Old 09-16-2007, 10:51 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I voted for GW twice, but since then have become seriously disillusioned with the man.

Iraq aside, I have Katrina-related issues that have turned me against him, profoundly.

The nicest thing I can think of to say about him is that alcoholics never truly recover.

If I'm not feeling nice I start spitting out nasty judgemental venomous exclamations about sociopaths and murderers.

I don't see anybody that I would want to vote for in the next Presidential election, so far.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 09-16-2007, 11:00 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Given the current line-up of people running for president in 2008.
Well, thank goodness we don't have to work with the people who were "running" in 2000 & 2004.

I'd still vote for Colin Powell, but I think he's learned too much to want the job.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:19 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Well, thank goodness we don't have to work with the people who were "running" in 2000 & 2004.

I'd still vote for Colin Powell, but I think he's learned too much to want the job.
I always thought Powell and Rice would have been an unbeatable ticket.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
JFK was also blamed for the recession that was happeing around the time he was killed.

Couldn't get a civil rights bill passed.

Don't for get the womanizing.

It always amazed me how he was held up as a great president while he really didn't do much good and a lot of bad.

In my mind he is up there with Princess Diana - got away with a lot because of appearances.
Dex, I'll mention those to the NYU prof, he's gonna write a book about all the similarities with a theme of Bush vs Kennedy families.

BTW, he mentioned the irony of John Kennedy saving a friend from drowning after the PT boat sank, versus Ted Kennedy leaving a woman to drown and swimming to save himself.

I would definitely NOT VOTE fro GWB in 2008. Nor his pal Rudy.
Go Hillary. She had the courage to call out a General. Who's ever done that before?

-------------------
Old 09-16-2007, 01:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Academic, huh? Are we sure he can be trusted...

Bush II is known as Dubya, or Bush II, or GWB, so as not to be confused with Bush I, a war hero, and longtime public servant.

Though LBJ took it to the next level (hmm, more intitials...)

JFK was drugged senseless; what's Dubya's excuse?

OAP, glad you're still lurking in the shadows!. Got a new blog?

Thumbs up his ass, maybe...
HFWR,
Looks like Bush trumps Kennedy on the initial thingy. W. Amazing that history will have a one letter President. Some say single digit IQ. When they are frothing.

Dubya, is and working on fumes.

HFWR, I've got a new blog and will PM you the link. It focuses on the role of teenage girls in NYC. Very high brow.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:49 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Looks like GW is not doing so good. Almost 9 to 1 thumbs down.

Not much of a surprise!
Old 09-16-2007, 06:10 PM   #15

Hey, when a person's down, pile on, beat that mofo, kick em.
Go Hillary.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:15 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey, when a person's down, pile on, beat that mofo, kick em.
Go Hillary.
Lost track of you. What's the name of your blog?
Old 09-16-2007, 06:30 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I vote Democratic. My sister votes Republican.

So there!

Now if Edwin got out of the Federal Pen - or GW switched parties.

I 'might' hold my nose while pulling the Democratic lever.

heh heh heh - or not. And no - I don't own a yellow dog - he has red hair.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Dawg dude, my blog site will be painful for you cause there are some dudes I know who want to be the BIG DAWG and I know, I'm the one and only BIG T-Dawg.

It gets real nasty. Some West coast dawg, a former cow-orker claimin rights.

Oh, are you sure it's something you want to witness? It is uglier than a Brooklyn Grimaldi or DiFaro pizza here in the City.

So, with all them warnings, check your PMs, but be ready for pain and NY angst.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Dawg dude, my blog site will be painful for you cause there are some dudes I know who want to be the BIG DAWG and I know, I'm the one and only BIG T-Dawg.

It gets real nasty. Some West coast dawg, a former cow-orker claimin rights.

Oh, are you sure it's something you want to witness? It is uglier than a Brooklyn Grimaldi or DiFaro pizza here in the City.

So, with all them warnings, check your PMs, but be ready for pain and NY angst.
Reaolpolitik - About Bush
Old 09-16-2007, 08:35 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Reaolpolitik - About Bush

It is about time that the rest of the U.S and the world are finally realizing what most of us in Texas already knew which is that Old George W is an incompetent DUFUS. His Iraq policy is a FIASCO and it has thrown that country into CHAOS - which is now a breeding ground for terrorist.

The varmint is attempting to built his LEGACY as a WAR TIME PRESIDENT on the blood and sacrfice of OUR TROOPS, OUR FALLEN TROOPS. OUR VETERANS AND THEIR FAMILIES. But yet when Old George W had a chance to go fight in the Vietnam War he had his daddy pull some strings to keep him out of the line of fire and out of harm's way. This is what we call a CAPON in TEXAS. But now as an old man he is quick to send our sons, our daughters, our fathers, our mothers, our men and our women to pay the ultimate price when he and the chickenhawk NEACONS will not send their own children to fight. Folks this is what you call a geniune American HERO. Just ask the people who suffered through Hurricane Katrina.

Yes, Old George W supports OUR TROOPS just look at the facts that OUR TROOPS are being sent to WAR without the proper equipment (body armor, MRAPS, chemical suits/masks, etc.., etc..) and without the proper training. Old George W sends OUR TROOPS on multiple deployments with a complete disregard for the rules as it pertains to off time before they are thrown back into a military conflict again. OUR TROOPS are also being subjected to BACK DOOR DRAFTS. And when OUR TROOPS return home - OUR TROOPS, OUR VETERANS AND THEIR FAMILIES are having to SUE the government/VA to receive the medical care, the ratings and the compensation which they so richly deserve.

As for Old George W's scare tactics as it pertains to terrorist it is hard to believe anything that comes out of this varmint's mouth just look at the lies, half truths, the BS, the false intel, the cooked intel, etc.., etc... that he used to invade Iraq which at the time was NO THREAT to the U>S.

I for one would glady give up any tax breaks that he has given us so that OUR TROOPS could come home.
Closed Thread