Join Early Retirement Today

reason for and amount of tips
Old 05-26-2011, 06:11 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

reason for and amount of tips

I go to restaurants and leave a 15% tip, I go to the barber shop and leave a tip. I hate to tip. I wish they would just raise the price of a haircut so I would know what it would cost everybody would leave happy. restaurants are my worst, I avoid going to a sit down restaurant with waitress's because I always feel cheated when I have to pay the tab and an extra 15%. I think they should just raise the price of the meal, and subsidize the wait staff and the bus boys accordingly, so that when I look at the menu I could say this is what it cost, and we would both be happy. I know that the waitress and staff don't get paid much and they have to live, but I see a lot of people leaving huge tips, maybe for great service, I don't know, it's just gotten to the point that people are viewed as pariah's if they don't leave enough tip for the service people when their wages should be livable and paid to them. If they can't make a living working in a place they should make an effort to move up, more education, etc. I know bartenders and people who work in pizza places and they want to work the tables because they take home hundreds in tips nightly, whether its taxed or not I don't know. I just think it would be fair to everyone involve if you knew what it would cost going in and there would be not bad feelings later.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2011, 06:27 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I know how much it will cost when I go in. The price on the menu, plus 15%.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:28 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Agree with you in most cases....except for restaurants which the new norm is 20%. One of my only pet peeves is when dining out, the people you are paying the meal for are telling you what you should tip......(daughter who is a waitress, plus her mom). That's my hot button.....
sheldon cornped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

This doesn't answer your question, but after years of living in Europe and South America, I'm a big fan of the US style of tipping because it produces better service. A waiter who has to make the customer happy in order to get a nice tip typically tries to make the customer happy. A fixed price waiter will spend a lot of time avoiding the customer. I waited tables for many years in the US and can speak from experience on this.
Pajaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:48 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Tipping is a great deal. I'd hate when the amount is included in the cost of services. If someone does a bad job, I don't want to pay it. If someone does a good job, I want control of their compensation.

For eating out:

1. If you can't afford to tip 20%, you can't afford to eat there.

2. The tip applies to the price of the meal before coupons as well.

When dining with others, that couple extra bucks lets everyone know you are a generous and caring person. What an easy way to improve your reputation.

If my hair dresser does a decent job, I give her a 25% tip. It only costs an extra dollar or two and makes her feel really happy. How often can you buy happiness for so little?
pimpmyretirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:07 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpmyretirement View Post
Tipping is a great deal. I'd hate when the amount is included in the cost of services. If someone does a bad job, I don't want to pay it. If someone does a good job, I want control of their compensation.
+1. We rarely eat out but we're generous tippers when we do if the service is good.

I did once leave a 200% tip but that's another story... and not a terribly interesting one at that. Oh, and a 100% tip once.... but it's almost always only in the 10-20% range (and a very rare 0%)
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:22 AM   #7

"If my hair dresser does a decent job, I give her a 25% tip. It only costs an extra dollar or two and makes her feel really happy. How often can you buy happiness for so little? " at a 25% tip you are getting your hair done for between 4 and 8 dollars. I can see how you can afford a tip.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:31 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with frank's comments, but we live in the real world and that's not how it is. If you don't want to tip, stay home and cook.

We go to a "no-tipping" salon for haircuts; the cost for both of our haicuts is $60. We do give a generous Christmas gift as we have the same person do our hair each time.
Glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:43 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I don't mind the current system. If the prices were higher to improve the wages of waitresses/waiters, the cost would be the same (or more) and service would be worse. It's nice to be able to reward good service and to send a subtle hint when things weren't so great (always leave something. A 2% tip says "I didn't forget the tip. I wish things had been different." Don't park where they can see your car if you leave a 2% tip. And don't risk going back.) I also don't stick to a hard percentage--If the bill is very high, the waiter is probably going to get closer to 15% (plus or minus depending on service), if we're at Waffle House the waiter is more likely to get 30%. The waitress at the Waffle House is doing about the same job, working just as hard, and probably under worse conditions than the waitress at l"Flambe du Matise--if the eggs are hot and the coffee is kept topped off, then she should get a higher %.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:47 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpmyretirement View Post

For eating out:

1. If you can't afford to tip 20%, you can't afford to eat there.

2. The tip applies to the price of the meal before coupons as well.

When dining with others, that couple extra bucks lets everyone know you are a generous and caring person. What an easy way to improve your reputation.

If my hair dresser does a decent job, I give her a 25% tip. It only costs an extra dollar or two and makes her feel really happy. How often can you buy happiness for so little?
Agree with all of this. It is always cheaper to eat at home, cut your own hair, mix your own drinks. Therefore, if you go out for any of these things, you are going for the experience, not for the goods.

You want a good experience? Plan to tip 20-25%, relax, and watch the servers make your outing fun. Like one of my first girlfriends said, when I was busily adding and subtracting and stressing over a check.

Come on Ha, be a sport. A girl likes a sport.

Ha
Old 05-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I just mentally add the price of tax+tip to menu items when I order. So where I live that adds roughly 25% (allowing for 15-16% tip). An $8 lunch plate just costs $10. Simple math. Just a cost of doing business. I don't necessarily like the system, but the alternative is not eating out.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:38 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I don't mind tipping when service makes up a significant component of the value I'm receiving. I do mind that we've turned almost every cash register worker in the country into panhandlers complete with a collection jar and 'witty' signage . . . 'Karma's a boomerang', 'tipping only hurts cows', 'support counter intelligence' . . .
Old 05-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I pay the 20%, but remember the good old days of 10% and preferred that! I do have a tipping etiquette question though. We have been buying a bottle of wine occasionally when we eat out. My GF says you don't pay the 20% of that cost. I have continued to pay for it, but it does seem wrong. Just to walk over and uncork or twist off the top results in doubling the tip with little increased service to the whole experience. What is the correct procedure?
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:44 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

At restaurants I tip 20% and round up. And as others said above, always tip on the full amount before coupons or other discounts. What to tip in other situations is confusing so I just try to remember to be on the generous side. When I drove a cab 40+ years ago I depended on tips for reasonable earnings. If you don't want to tip eat at home and take the bus, don't stiff the waiter.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:47 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
I do mind that we've turned almost every cash register worker in the country into panhandlers complete with a collection jar and 'witty' signage . . . 'Karma's a boomerang', 'tipping only hurts cows', 'support counter intelligence' . . .
Yep, I generally don't pitch in and make the problem worse.

Also, if we're having a meal as group and the tip is automatically added in, we pay EXACTLY that amount, and make it a point to let the waiter know that's OUR policy and that he/she probably could have done better without management's "assistance." I'll let the waiters put pressure on mgmt to change things.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:47 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I pay the 20%, but remember the good old days of 10% and preferred that! I do have a tipping etiquette question though. We have been buying a bottle of wine occasionally when we eat out. My GF says you don't pay the 20% of that cost. I have continued to pay for it, but it does seem wrong. Just to walk over and uncork or twist off the top results in doubling the tip with little increased service to the whole experience. What is the correct procedure?
I have never heard about skipping the wine price on tips. A better solution is to drink water since wine prices are vastly inflated in most restaurants. Then you can drink the good stuff at home. Go with sparkling water to splurge
Old 05-26-2011, 08:53 AM   #17

Honestly I'm not crazy about the idea of a 20% tip, either. And I remember when 10% was the norm. The problem as I see it is that the waitstaff get an automatic raise every time the food prices go up anyway, regardless of the percentage. So what's the rationale for the percentage increase?

I waited tables 20 years ago, and back then 10% was about the norm. And on top of that, I pretty much did EVERYTHING. I took the order, brought the drinks, salads, appetizers, main courses, desserts, etc, and cleaned up the tables afterward and took the dirty dishes to the bus tubs.

Nowadays, at many places, often the waiter just takes the order. Someone else brings the drinks and refills them, you have a "foodrunner" who brings out the food, and then a bus boy who cleans the table and takes away the dishes. About all the waiter really does after taking the order is check up on you to makes sure everything's okay.

So, it seems like the waiter is getting more money, for less actual work. I realize they have to split the tip among all those other people, but at the same time, do they really NEED all those other people?

That being said, I do usually tip 20%. And if it's at a cheaper restaurant, which is usually the one where the waiter or waitress is more likely to be doing everything themselves, I tend to tip a little higher.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:12 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Nowadays, at many places, often the waiter just takes the order. Someone else brings the drinks and refills them, you have a "foodrunner" who brings out the food, and then a bus boy who cleans the table and takes away the dishes. About all the waiter really does after taking the order is check up on you to makes sure everything's okay.

So, it seems like the waiter is getting more money, for less actual work. I realize they have to split the tip among all those other people, but at the same time, do they really NEED all those other people?
As I understand it, at most restaurants the tips go into a big bucket and are then distributed to the waiters, busboys, barkeeps, etc using some sort of formula. Maybe someone with recent experience can chime in on this. Do the individual waiters suffer when a patron fails to tip or do all of the staff suffer?
Old 05-26-2011, 09:23 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

My former lunch group have this question.
Do you tip on the total bill which includes the tax or do you exclude the tax?
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:25 AM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
My former lunch group have this question.
Do you tip on the total bill which includes the tax or do you exclude the tax?
Stingy Tight@ss Frugal group, eh?