Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-07-2012, 06:03 AM   #1061
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Great video TD, watched it a couple times. Just being envious.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #1062
Moderator Emeritus

Last month we attended my cousin's wedding in Austin. He's an Army Ranger leaving the service after 12 years-- both enlisted & officer, four deployments, and four years at West Point. His spouse is a field medical assistant with two years to go on her West Point obligation.

The wedding was in the lobby of the Austin Omni Hotel. Highly recommended. The reception was a loud drunken brawl blowout in their mezzanine banquet area-- also highly recommended. On Saturday nights the hotel even has a couple of Austin Police Department troopers stationed in the lobby. No, I don't want to get into how we learned that, but the bar closed at midnight and the DJ had to shut off his speakers at 2 AM. Luckily the hotel is near 6th Street and I hear Austin has some live music inside its city limits.

The first photo is spouse, our daughter, and me standing behind my aunt. My aunt is the fun one among our elders, and just before this picture we'd been swapping punchlines. The expression on my face is after spouse reminded me that I'd promised to behave. I was given special dispensation by the groom to wear aloha casual instead of coat & tie. I'm wearing actual shoes and my daughter is wearing two-inch heels, so that evening we were both 5'11".

The second photo is spouse and me at the reception table L (for "Losers") with other parents of friends of the bride & groom. (Our daughter was seated at the table of the sisters of the bride, but that's another loud drunken brawl story.) We were sitting among Foreign Service diplomats and PhDs and neurosurgeons. None of them will ever retire, and they cannot even spell "ER". I lost count of the number of times I said "No, really, I find plenty of things to do all day. Oh, you don't surf?" I'm smiling because the Classic Rock DJ had just fired up the speakers too loud for anyone to tell me again that I was too young to retire.

Right now ClifP is thinking to himself "My gosh Nords, is that your daughter? I've never seen your surfer grrrl wear a dress before!!" She had a great time at the wedding and an even better time at the reception, especially when the sisters broke out shots of the traditional Lithuanian brandy. She met a lot of very friendly Army Rangers. That's her story and she's stickin' to it.

The wedding photographers were pretty smart-- after they finished the wedding portraits, they set up a portable studio outside the reception for more family portraits. But we're still waiting on those.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Family Nords.jpg (165.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Wedding reception.jpg (92.7 KB, 73 views)

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #1063
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Last month we attended my cousin's wedding in Austin. He's an Army Ranger leaving the service after 12 years-- both enlisted & officer, four deployments, and four years at West Point. His spouse is a field medical assistant with two years to go on her West Point obligation.

The wedding was in the lobby of the Austin Omni Hotel. Highly recommended. The reception was a loud drunken brawl blowout in their mezzanine banquet area-- also highly recommended. On Saturday nights the hotel even has a couple of Austin Police Department troopers stationed in the lobby. No, I don't want to get into how we learned that, but the bar closed at midnight and the DJ had to shut off his speakers at 2 AM. Luckily the hotel is near 6th Street and I hear Austin has some live music inside its city limits.

The first photo is spouse, our daughter, and me standing behind my aunt. My aunt is the fun one among our elders, and just before this picture we'd been swapping punchlines. The expression on my face is after spouse reminded me that I'd promised to behave. I was given special dispensation by the groom to wear aloha casual instead of coat & tie. I'm wearing actual shoes and my daughter is wearing two-inch heels, so that evening we were both 5'11".

The second photo is spouse and me at the reception table L (for "Losers") with other parents of friends of the bride & groom. (Our daughter was seated at the table of the sisters of the bride, but that's another loud drunken brawl story.) We were sitting among Foreign Service diplomats and PhDs and neurosurgeons. None of them will ever retire, and they cannot even spell "ER". I lost count of the number of times I said "No, really, I find plenty of things to do all day. Oh, you don't surf?" I'm smiling because the Classic Rock DJ had just fired up the speakers too loud for anyone to tell me again that I was too young to retire.

Right now ClifP is thinking to himself "My gosh Nords, is that your daughter? I've never seen your surfer grrrl wear a dress before!!" She had a great time at the wedding and an even better time at the reception, especially when the sisters broke out shots of the traditional Lithuanian brandy. She met a lot of very friendly Army Rangers. That's her story and she's stickin' to it.

The wedding photographers were pretty smart-- after they finished the wedding portraits, they set up a portable studio outside the reception for more family portraits. But we're still waiting on those.
Nice writeup on the wedding. Gotta love those Army Rangers
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #1064
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Nice writeup on the wedding. Gotta love those Army Rangers
Pretty good-looking family too. Congrats to Nords et al.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #1065

Nords, thanks for the post and pics. Sounds like everyone had a great time. Sure have a good looking family there. PS, I think your casual tux was right on. What else would a guy from Hawaii wear?
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #1066
Gone but not forgotten

Nords , Your daughter is very pretty !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #1067

Nice family picture. Your daughter is very pretty.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:30 AM   #1068
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, everyone. It's hard to get them to agree to stand still for a portrait, and then I'm usually the one on the wrong side of the camera...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 05-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #1069
Moderator Emeritus

Our lychee are ripe!

I pruned this tree five years ago and I've regretted it ever since. I'll let it keep blocking the horizon view if it keeps rewarding us this way...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1641.JPG (1.03 MB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1675.JPG (480.6 KB, 31 views)

Old 06-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #1070
Give me a forum ...

Just back from Costa Rica

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #1071
Give me a forum ...

Nemo, are the pics the ones titled Posado? If so:

A: the pool is killer!
B: the beach is gorgeous!
C: WTF are the carcasses?
D: love the vegetables!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:52 AM   #1072
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Nemo, are the pics the ones titled Posado? If so:

A: the pool is killer!
B: the beach is gorgeous!
C: WTF are the carcasses?
D: love the vegetables!
Sarah, you must've accessed all the SkyDrive 'presentations' we have stored.....the Posado shots were from Puerto Escondido, (Mexico), last year......great little hotel, (almost all the guests were Mexican), we really enjoyed it.

The carcasses are hind & fore-quarters of beef.......the veggies were superb!

This year's lot are entitled "Costa Rica 2012", but you're surely welcome to view them all, (some of which are from digitized slide collections of trips in the past).

Cheers.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #1073
Give me a forum ...

I've been told that, for many people, the previous link doesn't work......here's another:

http://sdrv.ms/L9X2zb

Old 06-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #1074
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I've been told that, for many people, the previous link doesn't work......here's another:

Col pics, but where is the meat?
Old 06-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #1075
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
The first link of Nemo's had some of their other pictures, but not the ones from Costa Rica--I looked at the Posado ones from last year, re: the meat!

However, the second link does indeed work, and it looks like a lovely place. Again, the vegetables are great, but my favorite is that monkey--what an awesome expression you captured!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #1076
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
The first link of Nemo's had some of their other pictures, but not the ones from Costa Rica--I looked at the Posado ones from last year, re: the meat!

However, the second link does indeed work, and it looks like a lovely place. Again, the vegetables are great, but my favorite is that monkey--what an awesome expression you captured!
They are nice pictures, but I had my heart set on the carcasses.

Ha
Old 06-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #1077
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Meat is under 'Posada Real'.

(Clicking on the first pic puts it into slide show mode.)

Posada Real: http://sdrv.ms/JM2tn9

While we, (and when I say 'we' I mean my lady the technophile), were 'simplifying' the links we did it for other groups compiled earlier:

Pics from the past: http://sdrv.ms/M8BDWZ

Botswana: http://sdrv.ms/JM2BCV

Digitized slides: http://sdrv.ms/JM2IOX

Old 06-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #1078
Give me a forum ...

I had no idea Puerto Escondido was so luxe. I thought it was ganga surfers and hippies.

Ha
Old 06-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #1079
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I thought it was ganga surfers and hippies.
"Speaking."

Old 06-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #1080
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post

Is that short lady Tarzan's Jane? Nice pics. Thanks.