Join Early Retirement Today

Recession Pricing
Old 03-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Recession Pricing

In the last week I have seen at least two restaurants advertise recession specials. Cici's pizza buffet, formerly at $4.49 or $4.99, is now offering their all-you-can-eat pizza buffet for $3.99 and calling it a bailout plan for your wallet or something.

Similarly, KFC has a new recession menu that is basically a drinkless combo meal with 2 pc chicken plus biscuit or 3 pc strips plus biscuit for $2.49.

I have also seen some airlines offering free cancellations if you get laid off before you take your vacations.

Obviously these are mainly marketing gimmicks to get people in the door and drum up business, but also good values for many. Have you seen any other promotions that are playing off the current recession/depression?
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Not really, although the local shows for home-building and remodeling and such are a little cheaper this year.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Not really, although the local shows for home-building and remodeling and such are a little cheaper this year.......
I wish I felt like I could pull the trigger on some home improvement projects this year. Man, there are going to be some aggressive estimates, I'll bet, but I can't get myself to decrease my emergency fund from already bloated levels...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I wish I felt like I could pull the trigger on some home improvement projects this year. Man, there are going to be some aggressive estimates, I'll bet, but I can't get myself to decrease my emergency fund from already bloated levels...

That's a pragmatic example that insurance isn't cheap! You're holding funds in low return accounts and forgoing purchasing at bargain prices because of the economic unknowns.

I'm doing the same thing......
Old 03-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just saw a TV add for a very expensive restaurant here in Columbus offer some type of lower cost menu. I think the objective is to get people to try them, where most would not have went there due to high cost, with the hope they will be come regulars.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
Just saw a TV add for a very expensive restaurant here in Columbus offer some type of lower cost menu. I think the objective is to get people to try them, where most would not have went there due to high cost, with the hope they will be come regulars.
Yeah, I've seen some restaurants opening up their cheaper/smaller portion "senior menus" to everyone and creating all-new reduced portion/reduced price meals, too.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 03-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, I've seen some restaurants opening up their cheaper/smaller portion "senior menus" to everyone and creating all-new reduced portion/reduced price meals, too.
I've seen that in the expansion of dollar menus or value menus at fast food, and more "half portion" or "three course" soup/salad-entree-dessert options at full service restaurants that get you a decent meal for typically under $10-12 out the door.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:46 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I guess a "fancy" restaurant can't go too far out of their way to play on the recession meme going on right now. Credulity of the typical consumer only goes so far. "Hey, instead of blowing $40 on this steak dinner, it's only $30 now because we are in a craaaazy recession!! So come in today, this recession won't last forever."
Old 03-09-2009, 02:46 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
And by a little cheaper, he means free At least where I am, which is 70ish miles from FinanceDude.

Other than that, I've not seen any special "recession deals"; but I don't pay much attention to advertising if I can help it.
mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I guess a "fancy" restaurant can't go too far out of their way to play on the recession meme going on right now. Credulity of the typical consumer only goes so far. "Hey, instead of blowing $40 on this steak dinner, it's only $30 now because we are in a craaaazy recession!! So come in today, this recession won't last forever."
Well, I don't know how much this is hitting the typical person for whom those high-end dining experiences are commonplace. Maybe it is, but some businesses have built part of their reputation as catering to the higher-end crowd, and in their case, advertising discounts and cheaper items would be potentially brand-destruction. Hard to see that as a growth industry in the next couple years, at least...
Old 03-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, I don't know how much this is hitting the typical person for whom those high-end dining experiences are commonplace. Maybe it is, but some businesses have built part of their reputation as catering to the higher-end crowd, and in their case, advertising discounts and cheaper items would be potentially brand-destruction. Hard to see that as a growth industry in the next couple years, at least...
Exactly. You don't sell the steak, you sell the sizzle and status.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:21 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Couple notes relative to resession type "dining". Went to grandson's graduation today (tech school). On the way stopped by McDonalds to grab a small bite on the way (take out). Wife likes their parfeits (spell?) and I did a McGriddle. Both of these items were about half the size they once were. SURPRISE!!! After graduation the graduates and their families went to lunch at the Olive Garden. I've always liked that place but was never there for lunch. Talk about a great deal! We both had soup and salad (always loved their salads). We aren't big lunch people but we were stuffed for $6.95. Unlimited soup and salad and bread sticks. Can't beat that for lunch. We're going back for that deal.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Couple notes relative to resession type "dining". Went to grandson's graduation today (tech school). On the way stopped by McDonalds to grab a small bite on the way (take out). Wife likes their parfeits (spell?) and I did a McGriddle. Both of these items were about half the size they once were. SURPRISE!!! After graduation the graduates and their families went to lunch at the Olive Garden. I've always liked that place but was never there for lunch. Talk about a great deal! We both had soup and salad (always loved their salads). We aren't big lunch people but we were stuffed for $6.95. Unlimited soup and salad and bread sticks. Can't beat that for lunch. We're going back for that deal.
Olive Garden and Chili's have had that unlimited soup/salad/bread for $6 locally for quite a while. Good eats for that price!
Old 03-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I heard a memory sparking radio commercial the other day. It was for Campbell's soup. The words "we all need to save money right now" caught my attention. The speaker lavishly described the aroma of nice hot tomato soup and watching your kids dipping a grilled cheese sandwich (made with Kraft American cheese) into the soup. It took me right back to those Campbell soup and grilled cheese commercials from the late 60s. Recycled advertising!
Old 03-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I heard a memory sparking radio commercial the other day. It was for Campbell's soup. The words "we all need to save money right now" caught my attention. The speaker lavishly described the aroma of nice hot tomato soup and watching your kids dipping a grilled cheese sandwich (made with Kraft American cheese) into the soup. It took me right back to those Campbell soup and grilled cheese commercials from the late 60s. Recycled advertising!
Well, I'm long both CPB and KFT, so that's fine with me. Just don't go TOO cheap and use the store-brand stuff!