Join Early Retirement Today

Recharegeable Battery
Old 12-03-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Recharegeable Battery

My FIL has a Black & Decker drill that uses a 13.2 v battery. The original battery no longer works and he bought a new charger that charges 8.4 - 14.4 v NiCad batteries. However, he can't find 13.2 v batteries. I can get them on Amazon, but am wondering if he got a 14.4 v battery if that would make any difference. (14.4 v batteries are much more common). From the picture, it looks like the batteries are the same size. Is the difference between a 14.4 and 13.2 battery that significant in something like a drill?

I figured with all the engineers on this forum, someone could answer this. Thanks.

Of course it would help if I could spell rechargeable correctly.
tomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2007, 05:40 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm an ME, but I'll take a stab at it. All NiCad battery packs are basically groups of 1.2 volt batteries hooked in series. So the difference is just one more battery. I'd say if there is room for the 14.4 volt pack, it should be electrically compatible with the drill.

That said, you can get a nice Ryobi drill at Home Depot for cheap.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Is this what you're looking for?
Craftsman 13.2 volt Battery - Model 11104 at Sears.com

FWIW, I've found a few neighborhood battery stores that offer remanufactured batteries of this type for about 50% less than new with exchange.
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:03 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the replies. He's had the drill for awhile and really likes it. I don't think the Sears battery will fit, but I'm going to go to Sears, Homedepot, or Lowes and see what I can find. The charger is a universal charger so if the 14.4v battery fits in the charger, it should fit in the drill. I can only get the 13.2 online and if it doesn't work, returning it to a brick and mortar store would be easier than returning it to an online store. I appreciate the responses.
tomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:07 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
That said, you can get a nice Ryobi drill at Home Depot for cheap.
I love the Ryobi One Plus tools. Same battery can be used in a dozen different tools, including cordless yard tools. And the batteries are available in both NiMH and Lithium.
twaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:11 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
I love the Ryobi One Plus tools. Same battery can be used in a dozen different tools, including cordless yard tools. And the batteries are available in both NiMH and Lithium.
I got my first Ryobi when I went to buy a new battery for my Milwaukee cordless drill and realized that I could get a new drill with two batteries for the same price as the replacement Milwaukee battery.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote