Red Wine Recommendation!

The Robert Mondavi Private Selection aged in Bourbon barrels Cabernet Sauvignon from the first post was available at my Costco today. It was the 2018 vintage. Pricing was $11, I believe. My apologies if this was covered already. Cheers,

I cannot say enough about this Cabernet from a family owned vineyard and winery, Wooden Valley. It is world class; usually sells for $47.00 on sale now for $29.00, $27.00 if you join the wine club. You will not be disappointed! I have known the family for many years and are also top notch.

https://www.woodenvalley.com/produc...-6AF1F1B640A8&sortBy=DisplayOrder&maxRows=12&

Here I was ready to "Blow That Dough", was surprised to see the shipping estimate was $0.00, but then:

2016 LF Cabernet cannot be shipped to IL
Sorry, we do not ship to IL

:(

-ERD50

Sorry about that, but don't get me started on dumb state laws about alcohol. Here in the Commonwealth, we're still paying the surtax for the 1936 Johnstown flood, and they just loosened the DTC laws in 2018. I'll stop so Porky don't show up.

Sorry about that, but don't get me started on dumb state laws about alcohol. Here in the Commonwealth, we're still paying the surtax for the 1936 Johnstown flood, and they just loosened the DTC laws in 2018. I'll stop so Porky don't show up.

That's OK. It may not be laws though, I've had wine shipped here before. May just be their decision to not ship outside of a certain Fed Ex /UPS zone?

-ERD50

It has to do with license/permits. A shipper has to have a license to ship to a certain area, there are shippers in Napa/Sonoma that purchase that license to ship everywhere, but then you pay the price added on to your shipping cost. DW and I actually caught on to it the first couple times we went to Napa, but then we were making enough great wine that we didn't want to take advantage of the situation. Upon visiting a great, high priced winery, they charge up to $60 each for a tasting. That fee is waived if you purchase a bottle of wine or join their wine club. So...., you get charged the $120 for a couple, then join their wine club, and buy 6 bottles of wine. When they ring you out, the tasting fee is waived, the 6 bottles you bought are at up to 20% off, and then they apologize profusely. They don't have a permit /license to ship to your home state, because they're too cheap to buy the license or can't justify the cost over requests. Or they can go to a 3rd party shipper, who paid the fees, and can ship anywhere. Wooden Valley is an family winery, so they are small in terms of volume, and don't discount too often. if you have a relative or friend in a neighboring state, ship it there and pick it up later. There's more than one way to cook a turkey........

Shout out to Southern Portuguese red blends, which are getting better and better for a great value. I’ve been exploring a few in the $10-$12 range and think they are more complex and balanced than Bordeaux or Rhône blends at that price point. Chill one for 30 minutes and then see what you think. Here’s what Vivino has to say:

Attachments

• IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom