Join Early Retirement Today

Redfin Real Estate Agent Caution...
Old 08-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Redfin Real Estate Agent Caution...

We’re selling our deceased Dads 1957 home, and finally got a good offer. The buyer is using a Redfin agent. The home inspection was completed about 10 days ago, and the buyers have ordered follow up inspections with contractors. All good.

My sister still lives in the same city fortunately. She stopped by a few days ago and found the buyer wife and her 4 kids there with a pool inspector, the agent wasn’t there and did not lock up. My sister, a former realtor, was fuming but understandably doesn’t want to kill the deal by complaining too strongly. Our sellers agent (a traditional service agent) talked to the Redfin agent.

Yesterday my sister goes by the house again, and finds the buyer wife there with an electrician, again no agent. Turns out there have been 4 follow up inspections, and none have been scheduled through CSS as is expected.

All inspections are complete now, so there shouldn’t be any more “home invasions.”

I am sure there are good, competent Redfin agents, but we sure haven’t had a good experience. I read an email from the Redfin agent for the first time today, spelling and grammar like a 4th grader.

Totally unprofessional Redfin agent all in all.

As is usually true, you get what you pay for...

We just bought a house, and sold another, so how the process goes is fresh in my mind. As a buyer, I wouldn’t dare go into a sellers home any time between initial showing and closing without the seller or sellers agent or without their direct authorization. We’ve dealt with more than a half dozen full service realtors in three states the past few months, and many others in previous moves, all professionals - unlike this RedFin agent. And my sister was a realtor for 10 years, knows how things are supposed to happen.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2019, 11:01 AM   #2
gone traveling

This is an example of a poorly behaved agent. It has nothing to do with Redfin.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:22 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

After this deal closes report this to RedFin.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:28 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
After this deal closes report this to RedFin.
We certainly will.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:51 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That's similar to my experience with Redfin, surprisingly unprofessional.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:12 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
This is an example of a poorly behaved agent. It has nothing to do with Redfin.
I noted it was one example, but RedFin is a low cost volume driven “realty” which is reason for caution. How are you able to conclude they’re not less professional?

Old 08-11-2019, 05:26 PM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I noted it was one example, but RedFin is a low cost volume driven “realty” which is reason for caution. How are you able to conclude they’re not less professional?
It's not up to me to conclude that they're not less professional than any other group of real estate agents.

It's irresponsible to single out one company in a thread title based on a bad encounter with a single agent.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:35 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's not up to me to conclude that they're not less professional than any other group of real estate agents.

It's irresponsible to single out one company in a thread title based on a bad encounter with a single agent.
FIFY
Quote:
This is an example of a poorly behaved agent. It may not be representative of has nothing to do with Redfin.

We had a bad experience with one real estate agent
Old 08-11-2019, 05:42 PM   #9
gone traveling

We had a bad experience with one real estate agent

FIFY
Old 08-11-2019, 05:46 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I agree it may not be fair to blame Redfin but some brokers would not allow these incidents to occur.

How did the buyer wife and inspectors gain entry? Did the Redfin agent let them in and then leave?
Old 08-12-2019, 09:55 PM   #11

The full service broker that sold our home 3 years ago was at every inspection and every "event" that happened. He told us that he met at another property and the Redfin agent was complaining about his commision. It was 25% of our full service agent. There is a reason the Redfin agent didn't show up. He could not afford to
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:14 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

You get what you pay for me thinks.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:23 AM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
There is a reason the Redfin agent didn't show up. He could not afford to
Sorry, "could not afford to" makes no sense.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:30 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

We just got the repair request, and the RedFin agent continues to prove how totally incompetent he is. Again, you get what you pay for...

While I’ve provided just one first hand example, it’s not hard to find full service agents with numerous horror stories re: RedFin and Zillow agents.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:36 AM   #15

No agent should be leaving the buyers unaccompanied at a property and it's considered trespassing when you enter a house without the sellers permission.
I'm obviously not a fan of Redfin, when you work on reduced commissions you tend to cut corners.
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Sorry, "could not afford to" makes no sense.
ok. He didn't feel he could go because he had to do another deal to make his rent

Life is a series of trade offs. He chose to prospect another deal instead of providing customer service
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:08 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Part of this is on your agent as well.

FYI - make sure your listing agent uses a Supra electronic lockbox. That can only be opened by an agent with a valid approved appointment and leaves an electronic record of exactly who opened it and when.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:37 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingmn View Post

FYI - make sure your listing agent uses a Supra electronic lockbox. That can only be opened by an agent with a valid approved appointment and leaves an electronic record of exactly who opened it and when.
+1
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:12 AM   #19

Are Real Estate agents required to be licensed in this state?

If so. would this unauthorized access be a violation of the licensing rules?
gauss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:44 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Are Real Estate agents required to be licensed in this state?

If so. would this unauthorized access be a violation of the licensing rules?
This. I would certainly discuss this with the broker (I would do it now...especially if you are out the due diligence period) and let them know that you are considering contacting your state real estate board/commission. Most brokers will take action...they do NOT want to deal with any complaints that are investigated by the licencing authority.

However, make sure that you haven't inadvertently given permission for these "unannounced" inspections. *Some* contracts will allow broad permissions during the due diligence period. An example of such broad language:

Buyer, together with persons deemed qualified by Buyer and at Buyer’s expense, shall have the right to enter upon the Property to
conduct any and all investigations, inspections, and reviews of the Property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingmn View Post

And sometimes a jurisdiction will allow vetted contractors to use the system as well.