Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-18-2022, 06:30 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have 3: 12 Camry, 18 Toyota Tundra and a 19 Corvette.

Since covid my DH does the grocery pickup and most other things. I am just starting to go out more, but we could probably have one, if we needed to cut back. We do not need to cut back and I have owned a car since I was 15 years old. My DH likes his truck and his corvette is his hobby. We probably spend more on gas, since we retired. He likes to drive it and that is the reason we bought it. Gotta have fun.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2022, 06:43 PM   #22

We've lived with one vehicle in Denver for over 10 years and for 3 years in NJ before then.

For the very few times that only one of us wanted to drive someplace out of town, we've just rented one. In town, if we need it, we'd just use public transport or Taxi/Uber. Much less expensive than owning.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 06:53 PM   #23

we have three...a '46 Willys, an '03 Wrangler and a '10 Liberty. the wife doesn't drive any longer and I 'spose we could get by with just the Liberty or something else but I like all three and see no reason to change...right now.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 07:12 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Frank and I are not married although we have been together for 22 years. We have two cars. Mine is mid-sized SUV (2009 Venza). So a couple of years ago when his 2002 Murano cratered, he bought a small, inexpensive, fuel efficient car (2018 Fiesta).

We like having two vehicles so one can act as a backup if needed. He's a big fan of multiple redundancy in general.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 09:13 PM   #25

We have had one car for 10+ years. It works for us. We do our best to make our car our second choice for getting places. For example, Pickleball is about 2.5 miles from home. I ride my bike. While I was at PB, DW went grocery shopping with the car. It is helpful that we both bike/walk for errands. Adds flexibility. BTW, it was raining both ways today for my bike commute. I dressed to stay dry.

We have followed this pattern in 3 different cities. They ranged from big city to small town with all services within 5 miles, our rule of thumb to bike or walk. We will be moving again to a city that offers free bus service for anyone over 65. We already took advantage of this nice gift while visiting the city and looking for housing. And our search for rental housing includes a decent storage place for our bikes and a first floor entry.

One last comment. Attitude is very important. In one Midwest city we lived, we learned about an airport bus. It picked us up 2 blocks from home. Typically on time. Every 30 minutes from the airport to home. Took about 40 minutes more but passengers are dropped at the front door. Total extra time about 25 minutes vs going by car. Cost savings depended on parking costs but bus was $10 for both round trip.

We informed our close retired friends. All had the time. None needed to use it as a savings. (We didn’t either and they knew that). None of them, even to this day rode the bus. I think their car casts a spell.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 09:51 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

We have 3. 2012 Acura, 2017 F150, and 2021 Wrangler. Going down to one would be difficult, but we have had only 1 while snowbirding for 3 months. So it is possible.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 09:57 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I'll stay with one car per person. One for me (that I like) and one for her (that she likes) and if one breaks down (always happens) there's still one running.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 10:15 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Every time my car has been in the shop for a repair or recall, something other than an oil change. They loan me a car for a day or two.

For us, we will keep both cars although it's a waste. The issue will become more important when it's time to replace the 25 yr old car.
Will DW really want to spend ~$30K on a car
Old 04-18-2022, 10:57 PM   #29

As long as we have 2 drivers in the household and 2 parking spaces, we’ll always have 2 cars. It just allows each of us to persue our personal interests without having to coordinate it with the other. One is an SUV to haul gardening supplies, tow our travel trailer, and longer road travel. The other is a smaller electric car for local shopping and easier parking in compact parking lots.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 11:13 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

We live about 10 miles out in the country, and we have too many cars. I've had a 2008 Lexus since new, and I grounded it for 2 1/2 years after my daughter ran it thru a ditch. I'm finally giving it to her since she's finally got a job working night shift. We use the new Venza hybrid SUV to run errands and take the wife to doctors in 3 different cities. And I have a 2 year old F150 used to tow our boat and haul a zero turn mower between home and our lake house 65 miles away. I'm fixing up my 19 year old F250 diesel to give to a grandson--and we're not driving it.

I'll be down to 2 vehicles which is enough. If I didn't have the boat and if I didn't chronically haul building supplies, I could make do with one vehicle and my utility trailer. My wife really doesn't really drive that much right now. But I spend a big part of my weeks "on the road" driving her to appointments.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 11:18 PM   #31

One newer car is doable if you don't travel by land most of the time. I've survived with one car when I shifted jobs. Dear Wife don't drive. We have 2 cars and only drive around 2000 miles each year.
Old 04-18-2022, 11:25 PM   #32

We also have 3 vehicles. DW has a 2019 Tiguan, i have a 2003 TDI Beetle, and we have a 2007 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4. The biggest expense is insurance on them, and we are not ready to let loose of the Beetle just yet. If I multiplied the miles driven with it by the fuel savings over the truck, I would probably be compelled to part with it.
When I was commuting with it, it was easy to justify. Now I have a 4th vehicle in the driveway, a company 1 ton tool truck with a fuel card. I have no commute to speak of.
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 01:20 AM   #33

Broke the 2 car habit 9 years ago. The first couple of years (during second car withdrawl), we tracked how often we were seriously inconvenienced by not having two. As mentioned earlier, only 4-5 x a year. Once, when DW drove to an out of state get together, I rented a car for a couple of days. Other times, Uber, walking and biking help out. A single car offers big savings over original cost, depreciation, ins. and repairs on two, in our case.

We found retirement to be the perfect time to go to one car-no job commute, and flexibility of scheduling-Being able to bunch up appoints/errands to a couple of days a week. Keeping a calendar when each person needs the car for a day. Interestingly, we are driving fewer miles with one, than we did with two. But, one car is not for everyone.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 04:14 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

After about 6 months, we decided to go down to 1 car. In 5 years, we have not had a conflict that we couldn't manage with one of us dropping the other one off, and then go back to pick up later.
Old 04-19-2022, 04:38 AM   #35

Just one other story that might provide confidence for some people. We have a DF whose second car went through a long repair period which gave him time to test the one car approach.

In his case, his Ebike turned out to be a remarkable replacement. He lives around 1.5 miles from town up a hill that is a steady climb and includes 10%+ grades. I never asked him when he takes the car vs Ebike but I know he bikes when we meet for coffee and errands. I think he makes it his first vehicle choice. He also uses it recreationally,

You would not mistake him for an athlete. But the increased riding has had a positive impact on his weight and health.

I think many people could eliminate a car given the advantages and capabilities of a pedal assist Ebike. To be clear, I know this will not work for everyone for many reasons.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 06:17 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

4 cars and currently purchasing a motor home (15 Jeep suv, 08 sports car, 01 beater Benz, '57 classic).
Problem is when something breaks, they all seem to break at the same time! And while busy with a construction project. (Sigh)

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Mykle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 06:56 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I don't worry too much about how much we have "invested" in our cars. We buy used (relatively old, relatively low mileage) so the cars will last quite a while no more than we use them.

One of our cars (22 years old) finally failed us and it wasn't worth fixing so we were down to one car here in Paradise. We decided to live with one car here. We have one car on the mainland as well.

It's been just "okay" for a year to live with one car. She doesn't like the main (only) car (too big/trucky for her.) I don't like that we very occasionally need a second car but don't have it. When the battery died in the only car, we were actually stranded to the point we had to have someone bring a battery to us. It was a minor nightmare with a money grubbing guy who tried to take advantage. Fortunately, I outlasted him, but DW wouldn't have known how to handle the bad situation.

SO, a good friend is leaving the Islands and has a 21 year old Toyota with 55K on the OD. I hope to snag that puppy before someone else does - paying a fair price of course.

To me, the real issue is that it will cost the better part of a $grand to keep insurance and tags on each vehicle. It's been nice not renewing either on the dead car and I do hate the thought of taking on that expense again - just to have a car for "in case." BUT, I'll do it if it works out. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 08:00 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by savory View Post
Just one other story that might provide confidence for some people. We have a DF whose second car went through a long repair period which gave him time to test the one car approach.

In his case, his Ebike turned out to be a remarkable replacement. He lives around 1.5 miles from town up a hill that is a steady climb and includes 10%+ grades. I never asked him when he takes the car vs Ebike but I know he bikes when we meet for coffee and errands. I think he makes it his first vehicle choice. He also uses it recreationally,

You would not mistake him for an athlete. But the increased riding has had a positive impact on his weight and health.

I think many people could eliminate a car given the advantages and capabilities of a pedal assist Ebike. To be clear, I know this will not work for everyone for many reasons.
At the retirement property, this will certainly factor in to our decisions.
0.9 to groceries and 1.4 to Coscto/Home Depot.
I ride a regular bike, but DW will enjoy an Ebike and I think one with some cargo capability would work for her, and myself on a big grocery run. If it did not fit on my bike racks, perhaps I can take hers.
The current location is a no-go for bikes. It is really a dangerous situation to get around the neighborhood on a bike.
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 08:10 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

We have two, a 2017 4x4 F150 and a 2018 Ford Transit van. Both of them are worth nearly what we paid for them new (low miles on both and current crazy prices).

The van is great during spring/summer/fall, keeps stuff dry, holds way more, has a bit more security.

The truck is a must have during winter snow, the van can't even move 10 feet in 5 inches of snow. You can maybe chain it and put 3000 pounds in the back but what is the fun in that?

We only drive one at a time, ever...so yes I do hate having to have two vehicles. But i bet people with a cane hate to have to have a cane too.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 08:20 AM   #40

We have been getting by fine with 1 vehicle for the past couple of years. It takes a little planning. We transferred my car to one of the kids to replace an unreliable vehicle and never got around to replacing it. In retrospect DW's small suv isn't an ideal all around vehicle and we may replace it when the supply shortages ease.
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote