Regretting Grey Divorce

Karen, my parents marriage has always been fairly volatile, tbh, and now that they are in their 70s and dad just retired from teaching, their arguments have increased.

Frankly they are both intractable and do a lot to irritate each other, and they aren't particularly well prepared financially for retirement. Dad came by my office yesterday to complain about mom and I just shrugged and said pretty much good luck with that.

They won't divorce, but they aren't much fun to be around.

Seems like I have read that divorce is one of the biggest reasons that retirement plans end up being blown up.

My advice? Have your affairs and flings in such a manner as to not get caught by the other.

Absolutely. In fact, divorce is one of the key retirement risks:

https://www.nctreasurer.com/ret/Active%20Employees/ManagingPost_RetirementRisks.pdf

I can't fathom the idea of going through the financial, emotional, and psychological negative life event of divorce in my 50's or later. As I posted above, I got all that out of my system in my early 40's. Per Ha's post above (which I wholeheartedly agree with), were I "insane" enough to mortgage my life/finances to such a choice (which ain't gonna never happen again), I'd follow the advice of the above publication to manage the risk:

Older couples who marry, especially those with children, may want a
prenuptial agreement that defines each party’s rights to distribute or
dispose of property as they wish,not as a court would decree

I can't speak to marital bliss as I'm too busy living in "singles bliss".:dance:

Last edited:
Older couples who marry, especially those with children, may want a
prenuptial agreement that defines each party’s rights to distribute or
dispose of property as they wish,not as a court would decree

My mother signed a prenup with husband #2 and husband #3. In the case of husband #2, there was a huge asset imbalance in favor of her husband. In the case of husband #3, it was the opposite situation. In both cases, the experience was exceptionally unpleasant for the person with relatively fewer assets. For husband #3, my mother's lawyer implied that prenups are an imperfect vehicle for protecting her assets, but nevertheless it was certainly appropriate for her situation. I preferred that she just continue to cohabit unmarried, but unsurprisingly she never asked my opinion. :D

My parents came close to divorce in their 50s (financial infidelity and some neglect) but stuck it out because they were super religious and my sister was very young, then things got really good between them again and now that my father has hit 80 they fight quit a bit..and my mother mentions divorce more often. They are spending too much time together for sure, my dad doesn't have enough to keep himself busy and is driving my mother nuts...nothing like having someone come into your garden and start throwing out "weeds" that were your entire crop of sweet potatoes. They also fight over money (ie. my father is of the adage I MADE the money so I control the money) and my mother put up with it for decades.. however as they age, that isn't flying any longer as she realizes she may outlive him by 20 years and he talks about giving it away upon his death to charities without regard to her very real need of it.

So divorce is definetly on the table and I waffle if it would be a good thing given my mother really does need to protect herself financially. Given she is 10 years younger than my father, her "1/2" of his SS is substantially smaller as I never knew it didn't account for inflation. So yeh, up to now there was always a kid at home (many returned multiple times) but now that they have all left, there is a lot of "perfect family" moments from the outside but internally, I know my mother may reach her limit one day and talk to an attorney. It happens..

I assume this is true with many grey divorces, you put up with stuff and life gets in the way and you just let it go.. as you get older, empty nest, those things seem bigger issues and your around each other way more time without any buffer and you either deal with them or you snap.. enough is enough.

Time for your mother to seek the advice of a lawyer who specializes in elder law. She needs to protect herself financially before he starts giving their joint asserts away. Pay the attorney's bill to keep your father from knowing about the consultation.

Senior Divorce Issues

Lifestyle changes. Instead of fading quietly into retirement, some seniors are looking for new growth in their lives, such as traveling, re-entering the workforce, starting a new business or living somewhere outside of the county, and so on. As such, they could view divorce as a necessary step that enables them to explore these lifestyle changes if their spouses do not have the same desire.

Last edited:
Seems like an expensive way to find "new growth."
Hey, it beats a tumor. But then at least Medicare covers that. Still, I'd choose divorce. Sucks no matter how you cut it.

Marriage is very nice. What I hated was divorce, but then i didn't get a say in it.

Ha

Last edited:
If the marriage was good to start with I would think they could find a solution. If not then that may just be the last straw.

Hey, it beats a tumor. But then at least Medicare covers that. Still, I'd choose divorce. Sucks no matter how you cut it.

Marriage is very nice. What I hated was divorce, but then i didn't get a say in it.

Ha

Speaking of tumors, Google Endometrial Cancer. That's what has ended our 33 year marriage. The wife survived, the marriage didn't. Not surprising the Cancer Doc told DW 8 years ago we would most probably get divorced. Worst 8 years of our lives, we gave it the old college try but the damage took its toll. DW filed for divorce 2 weeks ago, I know she's doing it for me. I said I didn't want it but deep down I know it's probably the best thing for both of us...

Speaking of tumors, Google Endometrial Cancer. That's what has ended our 33 year marriage. The wife survived, the marriage didn't. Not surprising the Cancer Doc told DW 8 years ago we would most probably get divorced. Worst 8 years of our lives, we gave it the old college try but the damage took its toll. DW filed for divorce 2 weeks ago, I know she's doing it for me. I said I didn't want it but deep down I know it's probably the best thing for both of us...

So sorry for everything the two of you have been through. Check in once in awhile and let us know how you are doing.:flowers:

So sorry you are going through this, Derslickmeister. It may be the best thing, but that sure doesn't mean it's easy. It probably doesn't help right now to be told this, but things can get better in time, and life goes on.

If you are willing, can you say more about the "why" or "how" of this? (If not, no worries.)

Was it the stress and exhaustion of such a long life and death struggle?

I have read, for example, that couples who lose a child can often end up divorced because each person is struggling with such grief that they can't comfort the other.

Sincerely interested as I don't have a clue as to how or why this type of cancer would have the doctor predicting divorce.

I thought that the link in post #51 covered it pretty well, and I have read somewhere that a number of marriages break up after the children are grown. DW and I have passed 35 years and still counting. We were fortunate not to have any big financial or medical hurdles, we communicate pretty well, and we share several common interests still. That probably explains it.

I still get a kick out of mentioning to a guy back at work 10 years ago about DW and I on a trip for our silver anniversary. He says "Wait a minute, you've been married 25 years? To the Same woman?." I just happily said yea.

I'm really sorry about that! I did google that but didn't find anything about increased an increased divorce rate for it.

I still get a kick out of mentioning to a guy back at work 10 years ago about DW and I on a trip for our silver anniversary. He says "Wait a minute, you've been married 25 years? To the Same woman?." I just happily said yea.

If I would need extra fingers and toes to count all the people I know who are now divorced but were married for well over 20+ years. Alas, it happens. Why? And how to prevent it? If I knew that, I would write a book, and then invite you all to a cruise on my 200 foot yacht. :D

Derslickmeister - I am so sorry to hear of your wife's illness and the impact on your lives. Life is rough sometimes.

Marriage is work! I have been married 37 years. Mostly good. But there are ebbs and flows. I have a sister who is married - but has not been happy for years. But will not divorce - they are basically roommates.

A friend used to say, "I've been married 25 (xxx) years and I still don't know what "love" is. But, I do know what half my pension is."

He separated from his wife 5 weeks after his retirement and divorced within a year.

He's happier than ever.

My friends are starting to hit the 20-year mark on marriages.

The ones who look at me with bewilderment when I talk about the staggering grief of losing DH earlier this year are the ones that I think are on the fast track for a gray divorce once their kids are out of the house.

A friend used to say, "I've been married 25 (xxx) years and I still don't know what "love" is. But, I do know what half my pension is."

He separated from his wife 5 weeks after his retirement and divorced within a year.

He's happier than ever.

hahaha, I bet she is too:D

Some good friends of mine married in their 30's and after 6 years she got stage 4 ovarian cancer. She was not expected to live but did. She fought it 8 different times during that period. Then 6 years ago he gets terminal neck/tongue cancer and fights it for 5 years. During all this she gets dementia but those 2 were happy together until the end. When both were in remission they took trips and had fun. A year before he died he took his wife on a farewell tour so they could visit with all their good friends one last time. They flew all over since he was not well enough to drive. WE took them to Monterrey to celebrate their 25th anniversary and to Santa Barbara where she grew up. In the end he had to go to his son's for last 5 months and I had to put her in a home because she couldn't take care of herself. As soon as that happened her cancer came back and I did not treat it. She recently died. Despite all those illnesses they were 2 of the happiest people you would ever know. So glad to have had them as great friends.

My 2 cents- I recall it being called "Empty Nest Syndrome". For 18+ years most of the discussions between the spouses have been about the children.
When the last child leaves, they look at each other and discover they have little in common.

He's happier than ever.

I got a laugh out of that one. Someone else posted previously - Retirement: Half the income, twice the husband.

I did what you said, and googled Endometrial Cancer and Divorce. Almost the first hit was this medical article, which boils down to "endometrial cancer = no sex ever again." More precisely, the article states "A review of the international literature reveals that significant sexual morbidity occurs for gynecologic cancer survivors, and that there has been little reduction in either the incidence or the severity of problems over the last 50 years..."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2904608/

Back
Top Bottom