Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Reliable Small Inexpensive B&W Printer
Old 10-31-2018, 12:35 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Reliable Small Inexpensive B&W Printer

Hi folks,
I'm looking for a small B&W printer that I can easily transport with me to Florida when I go there for the winter. I don't want to bring my big bulky printer from home.

Any recommendations?

thanks,
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2018, 12:56 PM   #2
gone traveling

https://www.brother-usa.com/products/HLL2315DW - HL-L2315DW
Compact Laser Printer with Wireless Networking and 2-Sided Printing
Wally sells it - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-H...nter/659907319
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:56 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Can you just leave a printer there? These Brother B&W lasers are cheap ($99) and have been reliable for me. And they can sit for 6 months w/o use, no worries about dried ink. But they aren't exactly light/compact.

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-L2...0763WDSYZ?th=1

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:15 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I'd just buy one when ur down there and leave it.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:16 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I bought the Brother 2320 from Best Buy on sale for $49.99.

It costs more now. Bet it will be on sale for a lot less on Black Friday.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/brother...?skuId=4499400

BUT - - it is absolutely wonderful for a black and white laser printer that only connects via USB (no wi-fi, but I don't need wi-fi). I am wildly enthusiastic.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Can you just leave a printer there? These Brother B&W lasers are cheap ($99) and have been reliable for me. And they can sit for 6 months w/o use, no worries about dried ink. But they aren't exactly light/compact.

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-L2...0763WDSYZ?th=1

-ERD50
that's the one I have at home...i'm renting, so no, I can't leave one there.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I'd just buy one when ur down there and leave it.

that's a pretty good idea. I may just do that.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:15 PM   #8

The Brother 2320 laser printer is often on sale for $50. They are great printers and they last forever. They are not suitable for your carry on, but can be tucked in the trunk of a car. I have carted one from here to Arizona and back and never had a problem. It's a basic BW laser, and it is not wi-fi.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I bought the Brother 2320 from Best Buy on sale for $49.99.

It costs more now. Bet it will be on sale for a lot less on Black Friday.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/brother...?skuId=4499400

BUT - - it is absolutely wonderful for a black and white laser printer that only connects via USB (no wi-fi, but I don't need wi-fi). I am wildly enthusiastic.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:28 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Oops, and you were the one who told me about it in the first place! Thanks for letting me know that it was on sale, too. That was such a great tip.

It's exactly what I need in a printer. And, it only weighs 15 pounds.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Oops, and you were the one who told me about it in the first place! Thanks for letting me know that it was on sale, too. That was such a great tip.

It's exactly what I need in a printer. And, it only weighs 15 pounds.
I was grinning at your review... Best $50 I ever spent on technology and I think there are three floating around here and in Arizona now.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:47 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

As others have mentioned. Be sure it's a laser. NOT ink cartridge printers. Laser does
not "dry" up. Can sit for months, and still print. Ink cartridge if not used very often, they dry Up!
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:51 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
As others have mentioned. Be sure it's a laser. NOT ink cartridge printers. Laser does
not "dry" up. Can sit for months, and still print. Ink cartridge if not used very often, they dry Up!
Great advice! I quit using my printer at home because of the constant cartridge replacements. SIL gave me her printer - same thing. I had one at our Az snowbird condo. Big mistake - cartridges dried up there really fast.

So now I just go to the nearest library when I want to print something. I'm now accustomed to printing very infrequently, but I like the laser printer idea.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:39 AM   #14

Here's another BW laser printer by HP that's even smaller:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079QRKWLX...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I wanted to buy this one earlier this year but they were out of stock for a while. Ended up with an all-in-one Xerox for just under $100. Great printer that did come with a full cartridge.

Most of these cheaper laser's come with a starter cartridge good for 500-1000 or so pages. But unless you print a lot that could last you several years.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:48 AM   #15

I bought an inexpensive Brother black and white Laser printer about 1 year ago. It is a L2320D and has been a great printer. LD products for recycle toner cartridge has also been great.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:00 AM   #16

The unit for $50 is hard to beat but I would recommend at least considering a wireless model. I have the same printer but it’s wireless. Very nice if there is more than one computer in the house but mainly, it gives you the freedom to put it anywhere there’s an electrical outlet.

The black and white printer served us well, but we recently got a color laser printer and love it. Not photo quality mainly because you cannot use photo paper but it’s great for everything else. We print infrequently enough that the extra cost for cartridges is no big deal. Main reason for the switch is that the machine is a scanner/copier also. We scan more than we print and it’s nice to be able to make a quick copy from time to time. It’s about $370 at Staples right now. I’m sure we got it on sale for less than that.

https://www.staples.com/HP-M477fnw-C...akamai-feo=off
Old 11-01-2018, 07:47 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The Brother 2320 laser printer is often on sale for $50. They are great printers and they last forever. They are not suitable for your carry on, but can be tucked in the trunk of a car. I have carted one from here to Arizona and back and never had a problem. It's a basic BW laser, and it is not wi-fi.
I bought that model 3 years ago on sale...it's performed flawlessly and I've printed about 400 pages so far and still have 65% ink remaining.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:40 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I also have this printer and love it. I paid about $100 for it but it was a package deal with an extra toner.

It isn't wireless, but it was easy enough to put on our network.