Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Religion Question
Old 05-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Religion Question

How many of you encounter friends/ relatives who claim that their religion is the only way / road to "heaven" and that the remaining millions upon millions of "non-believers" are going to hell.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
... offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable.
You might as well just delete this thread now and save the moderators the trouble...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree with Nords. While I think there could be an interesting discussion on the topic, I expect it will not happen.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:44 PM   #4

Geez! I have been dying for an opportunity like this to voice my opinion. May be I can still do it:

Since almost everyone thinks their religion is the best, almost everyone would end up in heaven. That makes heaven pretty crowded, then housing cost would go up. And since everyone up there is good, it would be hard to find liquor and wild parties. All things considered, I think I'll take hell.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:34 AM   #5

And alternative view that I'm sure most of you have seen.

At any rate, I have NO friends or relatives who hold such views. I know very, very few people who do. Maybe it's because here in the Frozen North, Hell beats winter and might be considered Heaven?
Old 05-09-2011, 02:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferco View Post
How many of you encounter friends/ relatives who claim that their religion is the only way / road to "heaven" and that the remaining millions upon millions of "non-believers" are going to hell.
That is because religions are based on truth-claims. I think just about every religion, and some non-religious philosophies too, say of something, "THIS is an absolute truth". Why would there not, at least potentially, be dire consequences for rejecting that which is true in an ultimate sense? It would be the spiritual equivalent of denying that gravity exists. It doesn't matter how sincerely a person believes in the non-existence of gravity; what happens if that person steps off a cliff will be determined by what is actually true. Likewise, whether you or I end up in heaven or in hell depends on what actually is true about these ultimate questions, not on what either of us think is true. So give serious thought to what you believe. Your decision about what to accept (or reject) as ultimate truth is too important to be ignored or given only a superficial consideration.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:03 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have zero friends/relatives who believe their religion is the only way.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:19 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

In-laws.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:45 AM   #9
gone traveling

I view heaven as being run by Michael Vick (remember the story of Job?), and hell as being run by some warlord, so I am hoping to stay in purgatory for as long as possible.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:00 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

None. Of course I would not stay friends with someone who was constantly proselytizing me so I suppose I never get to know folks like that. Interestingly, I was only once (that I can remember) proselytized like that at work where I was exposed to lots of diverse people. So, hopefully, they are fewer than I fear.

People who are absolutely certain that their beliefs are the correct ones always brings to mind Pascal's wager (better to believe in God because if you are right you are saved, if you are wrong no harm, no foul). But in response to that, what if you picked the wrong one of the thousands available? Or, put another way, what are the odds that you happened to be born into the correct set of beliefs from among the thousands that various people have held over the course of history?
Old 05-09-2011, 06:12 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I didn't mean it as an adversarial question, but a question for discussion on a social / conversational level. I'm not exspousing or disavowing any religion or belief, but in conversations I hear this debated quite vigorously and with passion.......I have no skin in the game either way
Old 05-09-2011, 06:17 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferco View Post
I didn't mean it as an adversarial question, but a question for discussion on a social / conversational level. I'm not exspousing or disavowing any religion or belief, but in conversations I hear this debated quite vigorously and with passion.......I have no skin in the game either way
Regardless of your intent, this subject is not one that leads to civil dialog.

This thread needs to go away.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:06 AM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
...what are the odds that you happened to be born into the correct set of beliefs from among the thousands that various people have held over the course of history?
That's something I've always believed in. For most of us, any religion we may practice is probably due to what our parents believed in, and how we were brought up.

Of course there are "conversions", or even acceptance of an organized religion based upon later lifestyle circumstances (such as marriage), but for most of us, the "parent trap" is the reason we accept any such "teachings" in the first place.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:14 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Regardless of your intent, this subject is not one that leads to civil dialog.

This thread needs to go away.
[sarcasm] Right, we are just all children on this forum, incapable of an adult, civil conversation. We should stick to bacon and 3.4678934% vs 3.7845823% SWR discussions.[/sarcasm]

Where did this following thread go bad? I found it interesting and civil.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...m-31897-2.html

-ERD50
Old 05-09-2011, 07:17 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

So far responses have been VERY civil and informational. Thank you for the responses. I knew we could do it....gotta love it !
Old 05-09-2011, 07:35 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I have zero friends/relatives who believe their religion is the only way.
Likewise. Otherwise they wouldn't be my friend.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:37 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

Where did this following thread go bad? I found it interesting and civil.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...m-31897-2.html

-ERD50
Good thread. I missed it back in the day. I am very interested in matters of religion, faith, etc. I understand that religious discussions can easily go bad - just like politics. But, like politics, it is worthwhile letting them proceed until they do go astray. This is a better group for a civil discussion of religion or politics than any I have encountered.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:44 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
None. Of course I would not stay friends with someone who was constantly proselytizing me so I suppose I never get to know folks like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Likewise. Otherwise they wouldn't be my friend.
I initially posted the same thing but, on second thought, I would like to revise that. It isn't that I would feel hostile towards a proselytizer - I would happily engage them in discussion and be interested in why they believe what they do. But I doubt many of the people described by OP would stick with a skeptical enquirer for long. On the other hand, I have had many a brandy fueled late night debate discussion with a family friend who is a Jesuit - a true believer of another sort.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Likewise, whether you or I end up in heaven or in hell depends on what actually is true about these ultimate questions, not on what either of us think is true.
Christians believe it's what we think is true.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:56 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I get a fair amount of mostly Christian preachy stuff from relatives. I ignore it to keep peace in the family.

Most of my friends are heathens like me...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Closed Thread