Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-22-2017, 07:57 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Any change will be an adventure. My advice would be be rent your place furnished for 12-18 months and rent in each prospective location between 3 and 6 months. At the end, return "home" and evaluate. It is about the people. So you will have real experience with the potential friends.
Our plan is to rent furnished for 12 months in our new location beginning in Spring/early Summer, since DW is concerned about peak summer heat & humidity - even though we've lived in TX and FL We'd like to think we'll know one way or another about 6 months in and put our old house up for sale then. Or plan to return to Chicagoland, and come up with plan B location. We know it's unlikely timing will play out exactly as we'd like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCowan
Most retired people we have encountered who are unhappy with their relocation choice usually find the people to be the problem. Just a mismatch of interests.
Interesting. We're only looking around major metro areas so we assume we can find peeps we're compatible with. People is one of the main reasons we'd never consider a small city. We've lived abroad and we enjoy new cultures, so hopefully that won't be an issue. And we've had 'bad neighbors' before, and dealt with it no problem.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2017, 08:18 AM   #42
Gone but not forgotten

If you are looking for friends then look at newer communities that are mostly 55+ . Everyone is usually from somewhere else and also looking for friends .When I was looking to relocate I subscribed to the local newspapers . You can get a real sense of the area from the community news.I ended up eliminating one place because of that .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:39 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
If you are looking for friends then look at newer communities that are mostly 55+ . Everyone is usually from somewhere else and also looking for friends .
When we downsize that is our plan. For now we are in a big metro area with several senior clubs close by. We've noticed how almost everyone in the senior clubs is really friendly. I guess by definition they are all there because they are looking for activities and friends to occupy their time.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
If you are looking for friends then look at newer communities that are mostly 55+ . Everyone is usually from somewhere else and also looking for friends .When I was looking to relocate I subscribed to the local newspapers . You can get a real sense of the area from the community news.I ended up eliminating one place because of that .
I agree- We moved to a +55 mobile home park. Everyone was from somewhere else and were very friendly.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:24 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We may be alone, but in the end DW and I may relocate largely because we just want a change in scenery. Our families are spread out all over, so they aren't keeping us. But our established friends are holding us back, that may be the only thing.
For me a change in scenery was accomplished by buying a condo on the AL coast. So far I like splitting my time. Dealing with tourist would probably get old year round and all my golf buds and non golf buds are in MS. So it works for me.

Only a 3 hour drive to the coast so not tiring going back and forth. I feel I have the best of both worlds. But some people do not like maintaining 2 homes , not to mention the extra expense. So it's not for all....
Old 03-22-2017, 10:31 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
For me a change in scenery was accomplished by buying a condo on the AL coast. So far I like splitting my time. Dealing with tourist would probably get old year round and all my golf buds and non golf buds are in MS. So it works for me.

But some people do not like maintaining 2 homes , not to mention the extra expense. So it's not for all....
Exactly. We'd love to have summer and winter homes, that would make the choices MUCH simpler. I'm somewhat jealous of snowbirds. But there's no way we'd pay expenses for two places, or deal with 12 months (total) of upkeep on unoccupied homes.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:55 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I hear you, snow birding with a tad of exploring between seasons would be great (NZ/Europe would be my dream), alas expensive and/or cumbersome.

From a what's normal perspective, this framework might be helpful:
Four Types Of Personalities | The Startup Experience

Little bit like the MBTI, but it gives only four types: builders, negotiators, explorers and directors.

Most people I believe are in the 'Builder' category. The explorers tend to be a bit less visible in 'normal' professions, they go towards acting, beach bumming, consulting etc ..

Anyway. if novelty is your thing, you gotta answer the call or go insane
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:29 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

This is happening to me. I don't find myself inspired now by all the activities available around here - as rich and unique as they are. DH, however, is still not tired of chasing butterflies with his camera, and we are in the absolute best possible location in the US for that hobby. As the climate gradually warms, we keep seeing newer species of butterflies, so he keeps finding new stuff. His enthusiasm has not waned at all.

I'm quite happy with our smaller house and our butterfly garden, the neighborhood is very nice, I can still get top notch groceries even without a Whole Foods or Trader Joes (between Sprouts, HEB, Costco, and ordering the occasional delicacies online we are eating very well and have great wine). So I'm happy to use our house as a home base.

Winters here are awesome - hard to beat in the US. Summers - well, pretty damn hot. But you actually have to get pretty far away to cool down in the US during the summer - like west of the Cascades!!! We will probably do more flying somewhere to stay cool in the summer if we aren't already in Europe.

Currently I'm using travel for my needed change of scenery. We seem to stay longer and longer when we go to Europe (have family there). And we will travel to other places more. So I've been focusing on traveling more. I'm not ready to move completely.

The local small airport has good connections - yes, there is always an extra leg to get to a central hub, but the benefit is having an airport that is only a 15 min drive away, never security lines, quick baggage check and pickup.

However, I do not in any way think of our current location as where we will stay "forever" - I'm sure we will not. For sure we'll move somewhere like a CCRC as we get older, and it won't be here. We may return to Central Texas, or we may even move out of state. We most likely live somewhere else for a while before selecting a CCRC - we're probably 15 years away from wanting a CCRC.

I am considering exploring some out of state locations for living - maybe first as summer locations for a couple of months before making any further decisions. We'll probably transition by using our current home as a winter home at first. It's still ideal for that purpose.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:39 PM   #49
gone traveling

Maybe you just need more extended vacations, renting for a few months, and then the ability to return home to the friends and have something exciting to tell them about. On the other hand, if its just concern about making friends, there are many 55+ communities around the country, where making new friends should be fairly easy, and the old friends can always come for a visit.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:35 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

A couple we know put all their belongs in storage and rented out their home for a year. They traveled all around Europe living in different places for anywhere between 1-2 months. They are back in the states but liked it so much they are continuing to travel.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote