Remember "Duck & Cover"?

Growing up on Long Island, we were told that we were between the two targets: New York City and Brookhaven labs.

Growing up in the 80s in Montana I had a high school history teacher explain duck and cover very succinctly. "It's the governments way of telling you to bend over and kiss your ass goodbye."

Here's to Mr. Lipp! He was a helluva history teacher.

I was in grade school in the mid to late 50s and "duck and cover" was never mentioned by anyone. I guess no one thought ND would ever be a target.

We had two drills in elementary school (late 50s): Fire drill, in which we went outside, and another drill in which we went into the hall, and sat on the floor by the walls. Anyone remember what they called that drill? Was it for nuclear attack?

Yes, depending on your location it could also be for tornadoes -a very rare event on most of the west coast. As I recall they would send the classes on the 2nd floor to the basement.

We had two drills in elementary school (late 50s): Fire drill, in which we went outside, and another drill in which we went into the hall, and sat on the floor by the walls. Anyone remember what they called that drill? Was it for nuclear attack?

When I did that in Alabama it was a tornado drill.

I was in grade school in the mid to late 50s and "duck and cover" was never mentioned by anyone. I guess no one thought ND would ever be a target.

Why not Minot? Really, isn't ND where all the missile silos were located?

Why not Minot? Really, isn't ND where all the missile silos were located?
At one time there were missile silos all over ND based at both Minot and Grand Forks AFBs but I think that started more in the early to mid 60s. At that time the story around here was that if ND were a separate country it would have been the third largest nuclear power in the world. The first I ever heard of "duck and cover" I was probably in high school in early 60s.

During the Cuban missile crisis, we lived on the Navy base in Norfolk, Virginia. I now know that it would have been a prime target if things had escalated, but then I was so young that the only things I knew were that the dads were all gone to sea ("quarantining" Cuba) and the moms were entirely freaked out.

During the Cuban missile crisis, we lived on the Navy base in Norfolk, Virginia. I now know that it would have been a prime target if things had escalated, but then I was so young that the only things I knew were that the dads were all gone to sea ("quarantining" Cuba) and the moms were entirely freaked out.
I was 15 at the time of the Cuban crisis and will never forget waiting for Kennedy's address to the nation that night; everyone was pretty freaked out.

Do I remember that, oh yes!! I was in NYC staying at the apartment of UN translators who were too busy to come home.

Back
Top Bottom