Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-29-2019, 07:49 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Dairy Queen’s still everywhere in TX.
There's an old joke about a TV reporter who was sent to cover a story near the town of Nacogdoches, in east Texas. He wrote up the report and realized he would have to deliver it live in the evening news program, but had no idea how to pronounce the name of the town.

So he went into a nearby restaurant, ordered something, and said to the waitress:

"I need to know how to say the name of this place, so would you please pronounce it for me, slowly and clearly so I can learn it?"

She gave him a strange look, leaned close, and said:
"DAY-REE KWEEN"
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2019, 07:54 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I miss Herfy's Burgers, Farrels Parlor, Shakey's Pizza, and a local Mexican joint called Ricardo's (best greasy taco around!). Thinking back, maybe these joints weren't all that great, but as a kid-------YUMMY!
DAYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:59 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
... I was expecting to see Sizzler's on the list. Here on LI (NY), those steak houses were everywhere in the 1970s and 1980s and still hanging in there into the mid-2000s. I don't think they are on LI any more. They had transformed from being called to pick up your food at the kitchen pick-up counter to having partial waitress service to deliver your food, after waiting on line to order.
Sizzler had a big scandal in my area when a little girl died after eating fruit from the salad bar that was tainted with a virulent strain of e coli. The fruit had apparently come in contact with raw meat at some point. Fallout from the incident put them out of business in the Western Great Lakes states.

Overall, though, cheap steakhouse restaurants have lost favor with consumers. Ponderosa and Bonanza (the two chains have merged) have just a shadow of the presence they enjoyed in the 1970s.

The one exception is the Golden Corral -- they seem to be doing pretty well, especially in the South. They have enough of an ad budget to run commercials in the Milwaukee market, and their presence up here is relatively small.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:31 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
Boston Market was hot for a while, then poof.

We still have a Boston Market on N side of Chicago that we used last month. Always amazed me that they sort of flagship Carved Turkey but of the side dishes offered they never have cranberry sauce.
Ready-4-ER-at-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:42 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready-4-ER-at-14 View Post
We still have a Boston Market on N side of Chicago that we used last month. Always amazed me that they sort of flagship Carved Turkey but of the side dishes offered they never have cranberry sauce.
Do you remember when the company went public? It was the hottest stock in 1993, then came crashing down. Here's an analysis from the New York Post:
https://nypost.com/1999/12/10/the-ri...oston-chicken/
Old 06-29-2019, 09:14 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

I can't say I ever followed Boston Market. When in mid 20's I bought shares in a steak house (ponderosa, sizzler I forget). It was taken private and a year or so later sold my shares on private market. Seems I got most of my money back and then suddenly that store I frequented on interstate travel was gone as well.
I've never worked in a food service job so my opinions of companies like MCD are just consumer based and I really don't trust my opinions of the statistics of a company beyond the quick ratio and what the 10 year chart is doing.

That was an interesting article ty.
Ready-4-ER-at-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:05 AM   #47

Market also Had an Ollie's Trolly here when I was a kid...also a Boston Market until a few years ago.

Used to see Tastee-Freeez everywhere when I was a kid, even in towns too small to have any other chains...now the closest is 3 hours away, with only 23 stores left.

from wikipedia:

Tastee-Freez was founded in 1950 in Joliet, Illinois, by Leo S. Moranz and Harry Axene (formerly of Dairy Queen)...Expansion of the brand was rapid in the 1950s; in 1952, there were 315 locations, and by 1957 there were nearly 1800 locations.

In 1982, Tastee-Freez was sold to the Denovo Corporation of Utica, Michigan, which also owned the Stewart's Restaurants and root beer, Dog n Suds Root beer and drive-ins and B&K Rootbeer drive ins, and Dairy Isle ice cream shops. In 1992, there were 340 locations."
ncbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:28 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
Sizzler had a big scandal in my area when a little girl died after eating fruit from the salad bar that was tainted with a virulent strain of e coli. The fruit had apparently come in contact with raw meat at some point. Fallout from the incident put them out of business in the Western Great Lakes states.
Didn't know. I assumed Sizzler was still everywhere. There was a Sizzler near my work in Sunnyvale, CA. It was full of seniors on weekends. I like their salad bar.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:59 AM   #49

Dog N Suds was one of my main hang outs in high school. Several of my buddies worked there and so it was the natural gathering place for us.

The owner used to host a touch football game every Thanksgiving that was an annual ritual for many of us even after graduating from high school.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 12:07 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
The mid-west had Little Black Sambo's. Haven't seen that in quite some time. Go figure.....
Wow. Yes, I remember them.

If I recall, they changed the name to just Sambos, then again to something completely different.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 12:54 PM   #51

The one I've thought about most often and absolutely loved as a kid is Zantigo. Kind of like a Taco Bell, but (IMHO) much, much better. Their specialty was the Chilito, which they described as a "soft flour tortilla painted with our famous mild red chili sauce, covered with shredded cheese."

Apparently this chain still exists, but, sadly, only in Minneapolis. Back in the late 70s they had locations all over, including my little home town near metro Atlanta. Haven't seen one anywhere, though, in well over 30 years.

https://www.zantigo.com/menu.php
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:36 PM   #52
Gone but not forgotten

My second husband proposed to me at Bennigan's . It was so romantic in an odd way . He just slid the ring over as we were eating Chicken enchilda's .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:46 PM   #53

Culver's. Don't know if they're outside of the MW region, but...

Butter Burger

'Nuff said.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:51 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
Dog N Suds was one of my main hang outs in high school. Several of my buddies worked there and so it was the natural gathering place for us.

The owner used to host a touch football game every Thanksgiving that was an annual ritual for many of us even after graduating from high school.
Craig Culver opened his first frozen custard stand in a former Dog N. Suds in Sauk City, Wis. Culver and his brother made that the basis of a very successful fast-food franchise in the Midwest.

I remember visiting the first Culver's when I lived in the area. IIRC, there was a screened-in porch above the canopy that covered the drive-up spaces. I've never seen anything like it before or since, and I don't know whether it was open to the public or part of a private residence.

Edit: Oops, my mistake, it was an A&W that morphed into the first Culver's. Still, I've never seen anything that resembled that screened porch at any A&W.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:55 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post
White Castle!!

It's either a love or hate relationship; I'm of the former, maybe because I love the fried onions on the burgers and well, grease...
I remember when the burgers were 12 cents each, with a coupon from newspaper, you got 5 for 24 cents. My Mom would bring home about a bushel of them, for an excellent cook's night off.

Last time I was back in Covington I stopped in to get a few. They taste the same, I still enjoyed them and the excellent coffee. But wow, the clientele was frightening. I have gone way too soft here in WA.

Ha
Old 06-29-2019, 02:45 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Culver's. Don't know if they're outside of the MW region, but...

Butter Burger

'Nuff said.
Lots of Culvers in our area of FLA. Pretty good burger and even better shake.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:49 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Lots of Culvers in our area of FLA. Pretty good burger and even better shake.
We have them here in Texas also.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:22 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm surprised no one mentioned Der Weinersnitzel
(now that's one that was easily recognizable by the building shape). did any survive?

more recently, we missed Bahama Breeze, which closed quite a few years ago but had some nice meals. (maybe there's some still open down south)
FI_RElater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:00 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYDREAMER View Post
I miss Herfy's Burgers, Farrels Parlor, Shakey's Pizza, and a local Mexican joint called Ricardo's (best greasy taco around!). Thinking back, maybe these joints weren't all that great, but as a kid-------YUMMY!
We had all three in our city when I was growing up. I remember them fondly.
obsessed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:03 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI_RElater View Post
I'm surprised no one mentioned Der Weinersnitzel
(now that's one that was easily recognizable by the building shape). did any survive?
They are still around in Southern California. In the beach towns, they fit right in.
obsessed is online now   Reply With Quote