Remodeling main bathroom....any cool ideas?

Okay, a towel warmer. But--if you just buy a run-of-the-mill electric towel warmer you are a shirker! Build something you'll be proud of and show off your green credentials!

An old wire coat hanger hanging above the woodstove, perhaps? :D

A lot of neat ideas were brought up on this thread.

But as a mother myself, when I read that your wife will be bathing little children in there, I think about the practicality of that bathroom as your little children become bigger and bigger children, and teens.

What comes to mind is lots of storage. If the linen closet is some ways away, then I would put in shelving or cabinetry for towel storage. Also, lots of towel racks might come in handy.

Kids need to be able to see in the mirror to brush their teeth. So, either the mirror needs to come down fairly low (requiring more cleanup from splashing, ugh) or the kids will need a stepstool. Storage for the stepstool, rubber duckies, and so on could be under the sink if you choose a cabinet sink but if you plan to have a pedestal sink you may need more storage somewhere. You may need to plan on room for a hamper, too.

Additionally, with growing kids who will eventually morph into teens using the bathroom I would suggest choosing some very easy-to-clean surfaces that don't show dirt.

Last edited:
A lot of neat ideas were brought up on this thread.

But as a mother myself, when I read that your wife will be bathing little children in there, I think about the practicality of that bathroom as your little children become bigger and bigger children, and teens.

What comes to mind is lots of storage. If the linen closet is some ways away, then I would put in shelving or cabinetry for towel storage. Also, lots of towel racks might come in handy.

Kids need to be able to see in the mirror to brush their teeth. So, either the mirror needs to come down fairly low (requiring more cleanup from splashing, ugh) or the kids will need a stepstool. Storage for the stepstool, rubber duckies, and so on could be under the sink if you choose a cabinet sink but if you plan to have a pedestal sink you may need more storage somewhere. You may need to plan on room for a hamper, too.

Additionally, with growing kids who will eventually morph into teens using the bathroom I would suggest choosing some very easy-to-clean surfaces that don't show dirt.

Good ideas! We already are short on towel bars...so that will be taken care of. Our linen closet is right outside the bathroom, but I plan on making an access door on the inside of the bathroom as well for easier access...unfortunately there isnt a whole lot of room for extra storage, so we will def. have a cabinet vanity....47" long....perhaps longer if I find a cool one with better storage

I always get custom mirrors done when i do a bathroom...and find i like them best when they come all the way down to the vanity ttop, and almost as high as the ceiling....it really opens a room up....

thanks!

any input on cast iron vs. acryllic tubs? i dont bath much, nor does the wife. kids do of course. im looking at a 66" long tub, which makes cast iron mighty expensive

just looking for input...always have had cast iron....only experience with acryllic is in my rentals and hotel stays

.........................i really like the idea of the tubular skylight....i'm going to think hard about that one!

If you do the skylight, go for the largest one you can fit. The difference between my 10" and 14" skylights is night and day - literally.

Pi R squared and all that.

any input on cast iron vs. acryllic tubs? i dont bath much, nor does the wife. kids do of course. im looking at a 66" long tub, which makes cast iron mighty expensive

Do you have a Habitat for Humanity "ReStore" near you, or some other places that recycle building materials? They sometimes have very nice used fixtures. Iron tubs are a little less common than sinks and toilets (since folks often break them up with a sledge hammer to make them easier to remove), but they do show up occasionally.

I know some folks re-paint them with epoxy or acrylic paints, but I doubt the paint would hold up to tough use as the original finish does.

This does not fall under the category of cool but....
We redid our house 7 years ago. One of the things we did was install super flushing handicapped/taller toilets with elongated bowls. Most people who come over comment on them and I really notice the difference when I "go" at someone else's house. They are so much easier to get up and down from, something anyone with bad knees would appreciate.
The coolest thing we did was install a real vanity for the ladies and also have a small ceiling fan in the room for those "hot" days.
2fer

My vote would be for a ceiling fan. We had one in our Lakeland, FL home and I loved it. I want the bathroom to be warm in the winter but I want to stay cool in the summer. I thought it was a little odd when we moved in but I came to love it and it's something I would put into a home with a large enough bathroom.

One of the things we did was install super flushing handicapped/taller toilets with elongated bowls.
We did that, too. We're still young and spry, but the higher toilets are nice. Ours are Kohler brand (I've forgotten the model) and they flush very well.

One downside--the kids might have a tough time getting up on a taller "John."

Do you have a Habitat for Humanity "ReStore" near you, or some other places that recycle building materials?

My brother just turned me on the the fact a "ReStore" store is located right near me. Gettin' over there pronto to check it out. He and his signficant other picked up some mind blowing bargins there. Plus, hey, it helps a good cause. What's not to like about that? I love the idea of reclycling things. Way too much good stuff thrown away here in the US of A.

Been real happy with Kohler Wellworth toilets - latest two for the rentals were $118 each last month complete from Lowes. The new ones are 3" flush valve and a new design for the bowl with a super strong little deep area for flush and large shallow bowl design. Elongated would be nicer and a bit more$$, tall is nicer yet - don't know if they are available in Wellworth design.

Just did 2 bathrooms :

Things I like:
Gerber Comfort height toilets - 1.6 gpf :rolleyes:
Slowmotion-close toilet seats - entertaining for some people :) and makes it more likely the seat and lid will be lowered..:angel:
Kohler 6ft soaking tub - deeper wider longer - can do the sidestroke now

Walk in shower - 6 feet of 3.5 ft built-up stone tiled wall topped by 3.5ft sheet of thick clear glass with entrance at end away from shower with towel rack and water control inside at entrance
Rain bucket shower

Silestone counters
Dimmer lighting including over tub and shower with recessed areas for candles :whistle:
Kohler sinks and fixtures
Custom tongue :tongue: and groove cherrywood cabinets and closets
Vent fans
Radiant heating :mad:
Anderson obscured bathroom windows :blush:
Slate and ceramic tiles on floors
Ceramic and stone tiles on walls

Bathroom Satisfaction has risen 120% or so

And immediately throw away those cheap brass-colored toilet anchors that come with every toilet and buy some real brass anchors and nuts. You know you'll need to take the toilet off again someday, so it's a labor saver to use hardware that won't rust/corrode.

Back
Top Bottom