remote start in new cars

I don't ever want to spend $30K, $40K $50K or more on a car based on its tech features that could easily be cancelled because the mfgr simply wants to. I may have to, based on current trends, but I will go to the dealership kicking and screaming.

Or buy a used car with out all that stuff. I was happy to find my used RAV 4 that had no screen or any bells and whistles. But to each his own so YMMV.

The problem is that Ford parted ties with the operating system and cancelled the VHR within the first year I owned it. My car still asks me to run the VHR but cannot do so because Ford dropped the.

If you update your sync software it will stop asking you to run the VHR. Dealer can do it or you can download the update and install yourself.

If you update your sync software it will stop asking you to run the VHR. Dealer can do it or you can download the update and install yourself.

The last thing I want in a car is needing to update it in any way. I hate dealing with my computer and my phone when I have to DO something to either. DOing stuff to my car's "mind" is not on my list of things that sound like fun to me. I know some folks love this stuff so YMMV.

I .... run a VHR. It ran thru some " "diagostics" and sent the report to Ford via my cell phone. I could then log into Ford's website and see the report. It would, among other things, estimate when I needed an oil change based on my driving habits. ....

I'd bet that is available pretty easily right from the dashboard. Even DW's 2011 Honda CRV shows % of oil life remaining, and that is based on how it was driven (cold starts, total revolutions, running hot/cold, etc). Some (I think older Toyota?) were based on miles alone, I assume they use an algorithm now?

-ERD50

The last thing I want in a car is needing to update it in any way. I hate dealing with my computer and my phone when I have to DO something to either. DOing stuff to my car's "mind" is not on my list of things that sound like fun to me. I know some folks love this stuff so YMMV.

I'm fine with updates - if it is done 'properly'. It shouldn't interfere with you. If they improve operation (which they should!), then I welcome them.

Though I've also had updates change the functions in negative ways, with no way to go back. That happened on an old GPS, and removed a function from the home screen that I used, and made the device near worthless to me. I felt as if they stole the device from me with that update.

-ERD50

I'd bet that is available pretty easily right from the dashboard. Even DW's 2011 Honda CRV shows % of oil life remaining, and that is based on how it was driven (cold starts, total revolutions, running hot/cold, etc). Some (I think older Toyota?) were based on miles alone, I assume they use an algorithm now?

-ERD50

Not certain what my 2000 Buick uses, but it too has the "Oil life function." Kinda cool.

I'm fine with updates - if it is done 'properly'. It shouldn't interfere with you. If they improve operation (which they should!), then I welcome them.

Though I've also had updates change the functions in negative ways, with no way to go back. That happened on an old GPS, and removed a function from the home screen that I used, and made the device near worthless to me. I felt as if they stole the device from me with that update.

-ERD50

Too often updates are made without enough input from end users. "Hey, how do you like this update ERD50?"

"It stinks. Back it out Junior."

-ERD50

It is not available on my car's dashboard. Only available through the now-defunct Ford system. do you remember the 1960's slogan, “Ford has a better idea”? Yeah, right!

And if I take my car to an independent or do my own maintenance, then what? Although I can do it, I hesitate to do so for fear of doing it wrong and bricking the system. In addition, I have hacked my system to add the navigation feature. I fear that if I update, then I will revert to no Nav. My comment is more about how a mfgr can change the car's features, with or without a subscription. You aren't buying a car with features anymore. You are renting them, or in my case, they just took them away.

My 2018 Accord Touring has remote start, heated and cooled seats and Navigation with no subscriptions. I can roll up the windows with the fob as well.

Same. I think I've used my remote start one time in the 2 years I've owned this vehicle. And that was to see if it worked.

So my "new to me" used 2011 Honda Odyssey has remote start. Tried it one time to see if it works. Probably will never use it again.

Window control might be more useful.

Upshot? If I buy a car that has this (and only this) as future subscription, it is not a factor in my purchase decision.

GM has done that. Used to be able to use app to remote start. It was too far to use just key fob. Newer cars requires a “basic” annual subscription ($100? I think).

Harrumpphh!

My first car had a manual choke, for those who even know what that is. Both DW and I learned on stick shift cars. You mean there were others then?

They can keep their dang subscriptions for stuff I didn't even know I was supposed to want.:wiseone:

I understand the manufacturers wanting to build with all options installed and adding subscriptions. I mean, IBM has been doing that for over a decade on mainframe class machines. All of us probably enjoy the same performance at the peak business conditions.

My Tesla has remote access that's base . I don't have FSD but can subscribe for trips if I need to. DW'S Wrangler has a remote start as baseline, but I don't want it. Anyone ever had their vehicle start because they accidentally touched the button? I've triggered the panic button several times and fear starting it the same way in the garage.

Anyone ever had their vehicle start because they accidentally touched the button? I've triggered the panic button several times and fear starting it the same way in the garage.

I'm guessing your wife's Wrangler has the same remote start and key fob system as my Ram pickup. You can't accidentally start the vehicle unless: a) all doors are locked b) you press the remote start button twice within one or two seconds. You can set up the system so the headlights will flash and your horn will honk briefly when the remote start is engaged to give you a visual and auditory cue.

On my key fob the buttons are not protruding outwards from the fob, they are a underneath a smooth, flat rubberized cover which requires a precise positioning of your finger to engage it.

Even if you were to somehow freakishly knowingly remote start your vehicle it will only run for 10 minutes and then shut off by itself.

Harrumpphh!

My first car had a manual choke, for those who even know what that is. Both DW and I learned on stick shift cars. You mean there were others then?

They can keep their dang subscriptions for stuff I didn't even know I was supposed to want.:wiseone:
Please Walt, don't give the manufacturers ideas. You know, automatic choke is subscription only. :)

(They'd do it, but here's an area the EPA would step in and stop them. Efficient starts are cleaner starts.)

I have a 2020 Subaru Outback, and use the phone app for remote start. I have had the care for three years and no sign of a subscription yet.
Given trends in car software, complexity, and pricing, I'm tempted to buy a new Outback before it's redesigned again.

Harrumpphh!

Hear! Hear!

My last new car (a '91) had manual transmission, a cheap radio (no CD or 4-track), manual window winders, no blue tooth, and IIRC, only one air bag.

I loved that car. Drove it 160K with only significant issue being rusting out exhaust system. Heh, heh, had a life-time Midas muffler guarantee that I used twice - to their chagrin.

I hope I never need a subscription to anything automotive (well, maybe Car and Driver magazine.)

Oh, and "Get off my lawn!":LOL:

So my "new to me" used 2011 Honda Odyssey has remote start. Tried it one time to see if it works. Probably will never use it again.

Window control might be more useful.

Upshot? If I buy a car that has this (and only this) as future subscription, it is not a factor in my purchase decision.

I wouldn't want a remote start either.

My 2009 Venza has heated seats. Guess how many times I have turned them on, in almost 14 years while living in New Orleans? You guessed it, NEVER... :LOL: Anybody who wants a heated seat in New Orleans has got to be 100% certifiably cuckoo.

I see no need for butt heat. However, the young wife insisted on it when we bought her new car in 2019. I told her that her butt was already hot enough. But no luck with that.

I see no need for butt heat. However, the young wife insisted on it when we bought her new car in 2019. I told her that her butt was already hot enough. But no luck with that.

I never use the seat heater either, although DW loves it.

But the heated steering wheel on a cold morning is wonderful!

All our cars are manual transmission, so remote start is not possible. Not that I would want it, in any event. And I certainly wouldn't pay a subscription for it.
Not true. Both of my kids have MT cars with RS. It requires the driver to do a few things to enable the RS, but it ain't rocket surgery. YMMV of course.

Not true. Both of my kids have MT cars with RS. It requires the driver to do a few things to enable the RS, but it ain't rocket surgery. YMMV of course.

But why would anyone actually remote start a manual transmission? I don't care about the rocket surgery. One small mistake could be fatal.

But why would anyone actually remote start a manual transmission? I don't care about the rocket surgery. One small mistake could be fatal.
Why? Well -40F is not unheard of here and -30F is common. Cars run better when warm.

Pretty simple. The car must be in neutral and the parking brake must be set or RS no work. Which small mistake might be fatal?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom