Removing stuck battery from maglite flashlight?

zinger1457

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Have a maglite led flashlight that runs off of two AA batteries. It stopped working a couple weeks ago and didn't pay much attention to it, it's been at least a couple years since I replaced the batteries, figured they were dead. When I went to replace the batteries yesterday only one slid out, it appears the other one leaked/expanded and is stuck inside. Any suggestions for getting it out? I was hoping to be able to disassemble the top where the bulb is and just push the stuck battery out with a screwdriver but it doesn't look like the top is meant to be easily disassembled.

I'd try CLR first, and if that didn't work, use a drill to put a hole in the bottom of the battery, and then use a long drywall screw to pull it out.

I'd try CLR first, and if that didn't work, use a drill to put a hole in the bottom of the battery, and then use a long drywall screw to pull it out.

+1
Worked for me. To remove battery.

Maglite used to gaurnteee product as long as you used Duracell and a couple other batteries. Seems like they pawn that off on the battery manufacturer now.

After removal and total clean up, including replacement bulb, batteries, mine went in trash.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Top unscrews, and then you can remove the bulb and holder. If the battery is too hard to push out, just junk the maglite and get some new CREE LED flashlights. Brighter and more battery efficient.

use a drill to put a hole in the bottom of the battery, and then use a long drywall screw to pull it out.

...but use rubber gloves to avoid electrocution!! :LOL:

Top unscrews, and then you can remove the bulb and holder. If the battery is too hard to push out, just junk the maglite and get some new CREE LED flashlights. Brighter and more battery efficient.

+1

Been there , twice. Throw it in the trash , and buy a new maglite , led too !. Maglite is still made in the USA. Ya , it's a shame to throw out a nicely machined aluminum gadget , but you are wasting hours of your life , for a $10 item.

Just my opinion , from direct experience

Agree, toss and buy new.

Few months ago, bought 3 pack, Led, Costco. I think lumens were
200 or 250. Uses, 3 AAA, 3 settings, blink, low and high beam.

Really amazing, small flashlight, but puts out a "lot of light". Only, negative, batteries don't last long.:greetings10:

Used the drill and screw suggestion to get the battery removed but will have to play with it some more because it didn't work after installing new batteries. Cleaned the contacts and they look ok, maybe the bulb is gone.

I had this problem, only to be discovered while on a safari in Kenya. :(

I ended up paying $9 for a really cheap flashlight to get me by. Having no drill or drywall screw, I tossed the Maglite.

Last edited:
I can't help you more than the others, but I will thank the group for reinforcing my decision to toss out some completely unused batteries I found with an expiration date of 2005.

A related thought... on batteries...

Many times, even with new batteries, battery powered items do not work. Here's something to try, before throwing away the item or the batteries.
Using a sharp pointed tool of any kind. scratch or scrape both ends of the batteries and also scratch the connections inside the item. For whatever reason,,, corrosion, dust or dirt, or simply because the terminals pick up a glaze which prevents the electric contact. You can't see this problem.. it just sometimes happens, often at the "spring" that connects the base of the batteries.

Interesting to hear that most folks(including me) have problems that can't be fixed. It's a flashlight, not a rocket.

Maglite used to stand behind their products, now they don't. I don't care they're made here, no customer service. I'll never buy another one. My Surefire has worked for 4 years now. If there are any Maglites left in my house, there going in the trash, before I need to use them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

A related thought... on batteries...

Many times, even with new batteries, battery powered items do not work. Here's something to try, before throwing away the item or the batteries.
Using a sharp pointed tool of any kind. scratch or scrape both ends of the batteries and also scratch the connections inside the item. For whatever reason,,, corrosion, dust or dirt, or simply because the terminals pick up a glaze which prevents the electric contact. You can't see this problem.. it just sometimes happens, often at the "spring" that connects the base of the batteries.
Good point - it is such a low voltage that it doesn't take much to insulate the contact. Years ago my ex-company designed a minivan that had very low voltage contacts at the sliding door interface. Customers had to polish the contacts with a pencil eraser constantly to keep everything working. I was not involved. :D

Good point - it is such a low voltage that it doesn't take much to insulate the contact. Years ago my ex-company designed a minivan that had very low voltage contacts at the sliding door interface. Customers had to polish the contacts with a pencil eraser constantly to keep everything working. I was not involved. :D

Guilt by association ! I had 2 minivans with sliding door contacts, Ford and GM , both had the same problem.

I have had good results with electronic cleaner Caig Deoxit and Deoxit Gold especially on light oxidation. Both a cleaner and protector against future corrosion.

Most of my battery usage these days is delegated to low self-discharge NiMh cells.

In the case of a seldom used AA flashlight, I would recommend lithium AA cells as they remain functional, and ready to deplete for ~10 years.

Same here as I've migrated to mostly low discharge NiMh cells.

We are spoiled today -- low discharge rechargeables, LED bulbs. Not that I'm complaining :D

Back
Top Bottom