Join Early Retirement Today

Rental Car Insurance
Old 03-18-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rental Car Insurance

I'm going to be renting a car from Avis. I plan to decline the CDW (Collision Damage Waiver - $24/day). Although our insurance doesn't include comprehensive, I've paid for the rental with our Mastercard, and checked that we are covered through that (although I don't have it in writing).

Good plan?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Rental Car Insurance
Old 03-18-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'd decline the CDW since you're got the coverage thru MasterCard.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:10 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
and checked that we are covered through that (although I don't have it in writing).
Good plan?
Stick to your guns... some companies try to terrify you into thinking that you have to have the CDW.

I'm at my worst after a multi-hour flight and a few time zones when that rental car is all that's standing between me and a frosty beverage.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:44 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Just make sure you have a second card. If you have any type of loss the first thing the rental car company willl do is max out the card you used with them until they get the whole matter settled, and that can take some time.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:22 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I just rented a car in Houston from Dollar. When I picked it up, they tried to quickly slip basic coverage onto my car. I wasn't tired enough to fall for it and denied ALL the insurance they tried to get me to buy. I can't remember how they worded their spiel but it could have easily slipped through a tired or inattentive traveler. If I remember correctly, they said it in a way that you thought you had to take their basic coverage but not some other type of coverage they offered.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:09 AM   #6

Hertz has given me the hardest sell.

Enterprise barely tries. Maybe my file shows "declined all coverage the
last dozen he rented" in it.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:39 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Avis never gave me a problem with it. They would ask, I'd say no and they dropped it. That was before.

Now, because I have a profile set up online there's a setting for me to automatically decline the coverage, so they don't even ask me. Well, actually they can't because I also signed up for preferred so the car is ready and waiting, and I don't have to fill out any paperwork.
Peaceful_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:44 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

One other thing to consider before denying the coverage.

Does your credit card provide coverage for "Loss of Use" ? If the car is damaged while in your possession, the rental company will likely hold you responsible for the down time that the car can not be rented out while in for repairs. This is usually the daily rental rate.

Be sure that your credit card company will provide coverage for this too, or else you'll be getting a bill for rental time on a car you're not renting. Most Personal Auto Policies will NOT cover this either, unless your state provides coverage for rentals under the property damage liability portion.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:10 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the info. I will decline all the coverage.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:31 PM   #10

Might want to read the fine print ... I was reading it on one of mine and
it said the CC covers CDW only for rentals of 2 weeks or less. Can't find
the relevant verbiage on my new PCFU card, but I'd be afraid they're
all pretty similar.

JohnEyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:44 PM   #11

I always ask my agent about whether the rental is covered. It's been a while since I had liability-only insurance, so I don't recall if it was covered then.

I also try to keep the CC agreement info and any updates they send me filed away. (It's amazing how many times the privacy policy is sent to me.)

I've never used the CDW. Only had one rental wreck, and it was the other party's fault. (That reminds me, got to chase down about $250 worth of admin and loss-of-use fees the other insurer refused to pay and Hertz says I now owe them.)

They try to sell me the CDW but usually give up quickly when I tell them I called my agent and verified that I'm covered. Once I was making a business rental and the sales guy told me someone else from my company had a wreck in their car and wasn't covered. I laughed it off. (Heck, might have even been true, but my job responsibilities included a company vehicle and the alleged other employee's responsibilities didn't.)
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford
Might want to read the fine print ... I was reading it on one of mine and
it said the CC covers CDW only for rentals of 2 weeks or less. Can't find
the relevant verbiage on my new PCFU card, but I'd be afraid they're
all pretty similar.
Yes, for those of us who got a PCFU card when they joined to get the 6.25% CD ...
I called PCFU and they said the "Platinum Cash Reward" card did NOT have the car
rental coverage; but then she waffled and said she really wasn't sure and to call
800-VISA-911. They said "no problemo". However, as I alluded above, it only
covers rentals of 15 days or less. For longer, you need multiple rental contracts
of 15 days or less each ! (Wish I'd known this before I rented a car for 30 days
in 2005 ...)

JohnEyles is offline   Reply With Quote