Join Early Retirement Today

Renting for a month in Florida
Old 01-31-2018, 10:11 PM   #1

Renting for a month in Florida

On another forum, someone was trying to rent their condo in Ft. Meyers for the month of April - $2,200/month. In a thread here, Freedom56 mentioned a typical monthly rental in West Palm Beach was about $2,200 also.

This has me thinking and my belief is that what I want will be next to impossible, but I thought I'd ask here to get some ideas as to whether it might be doable and if so, what some next steps might be.

Okay, don't laugh. Would it be possible to rent a nice condo in Florida at or near the ocean for $2-$3K for only one month (here comes the don't laugh part), in February? I'm not really sold on the idea of snowbirding and was thinking one month would be great. It would put me in a price range I could handle and get me out of Michigan in what tends to be one of the coldest months. For one month, I could hope to get a nicer location than I'd be able to afford if I was looking at a typical 3-4 months stay (total dollars spent).

I'm I crazy, or is this a viable option?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2018, 04:45 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've looked a bit to see what's out there recently and most of the rentals I saw demanded at least two month rentals for Jan, Feb, or March, the prime months. I'm sure there's some out there that will rent for a month, or maybe you can find a last minute place that didn't rent for two months and they'll take anything at that time.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Okay, don't laugh. Would it be possible to rent a nice condo in Florida at or near the ocean for $2-$3K for only one month (here comes the don't laugh part), in February? I'm not really sold on the idea of snowbirding and was thinking one month would be great. It would put me in a price range I could handle and get me out of Michigan in what tends to be one of the coldest months. For one month, I could hope to get a nicer location than I'd be able to afford if I was looking at a typical 3-4 months stay (total dollars spent).

Definitely, if you are willing to try Tampa, Daytona Beach or north of that. A little cooler, but still can golf, walk the beach, etc.
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:12 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi Jerry1. While it may be too far north, we rent a 2 BR ocean front condo at Myrtle Beach in Feb for ~$1K. No, it aint FL, but prices are collapsed and you have 60 miles of beach (and hundreds of golf courses - if that's a thing) pretty much to yourself. We love the winter solitude of the area.

Also,where we stay is pet friendly - important for us. Also, also, compared to MI, SC coast would be very warm.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:15 AM   #5

Buy a motor coach, fifth wheel, or trailer and spend 2 months for that same $2200.

You can buy a place that costs less than $2,200 annually to support. I just did it. It's not on the beach, but it's warmer than MN.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:34 AM   #6

We've been looking at doing this for January next year.

You can definitely find 1 month rentals on VRBO and AirBnB. One tip with AirBnB is that all 28+ day rentals do have strict cancellation rules but sometimes do give nice monthly rental discounts.

Your budget would probably work if you aren't really close to the beach. We've been looking more at $4-5k right on the beach. As another said, you also may have more success with your budget the farther north you go.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:57 PM   #7

Another approach- check prices up and down each coast. That might help you find a sweet spot between temps, waterfront, and cost.

Good luck in your search!
Old 02-01-2018, 03:48 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

OP, yes it is possible but it will require quite a lot of effort. We are snowbirds in SW Florida for February, been doing February for nine years. We have a nice 3BR house on a canal with our small boat at the dock for $3000 all in. Keep in mind property owners much prefer seasonal renters which is January, February and March, and Feb is the middle month. It's easier to rent just January or March, but February can be done . We use VRBO or Craigslist. Also, many, probably most properties rent about a year in advance. Keep in mind if you are bringing a pet it reduces your opportunities tremendously. If you are able to stretch your monthly rent to $3500 you will increase your opportunities substantially. Don't forget the 12% Florida rental tax and cleaning fee.
PatSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:32 PM   #9

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
On another forum, someone was trying to rent their condo in Ft. Meyers for the month of April - $2,200/month. In a thread here, Freedom56 mentioned a typical monthly rental in West Palm Beach was about $2,200 also.

This has me thinking and my belief is that what I want will be next to impossible, but I thought I'd ask here to get some ideas as to whether it might be doable and if so, what some next steps might be.

I am unable to ascertain if you are clinically 'crazy', but it is a viable option.

Search on 'short term Florida rentals'.

Be warned - temperatures may plummet to the low 50's in south Florida during February.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:12 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hey, it was 42 here the other day when I got up. I actually had to put on socks.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:51 PM   #11

Thanks for the responses. Just to clarify, I was more concerned that a one month rental in February was possible. While I'd like to stay near $2,000, that was not the main constraint. I could go a bit higher. What I don't see as financially viable for me is 3-4 months or owning. One month at almost any rate will be significantly cheaper than those two options. I like the idea of moving a bit north. I was looking at some weather today and most of both coasts are averaging 70 for highs. Yes, south is closer to or hitting the 80's, but compared to MI, 70 or even mid 60's is a fine day. It's 16 here right now and there are some single digits for lows in the upcoming week. Atmsmshr - that makes even 50 feel pretty warm!
Old 02-02-2018, 01:16 AM   #12

Tampa and south is going to be the best weather if you want to be able to get outside on a regular basis-golf, walk, bike. Usually around 70 in Jan. or Feb., but can drop to high 30's (overnight) when the north is in the deep freeze. On the gulf side, blue skies nearly every day, and shorts/sandals mostly.

Our friends are on the beach in Pensacola for about $1500 a month. But they need sweaters and jeans most of the time, sometimes even coats. Early spring/fall type weather for sure.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:32 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Greetings from Fort Lauderdale. Our family has been wintering here since the early 1950's.

As some have noted, it is possible but you'll have to do a lot of legwork. I assume you're talking about next February as this year is pretty much closed.

You can get a one bedroom beachfront for $2K or $3K but many of the better condos require a 3 month minimum.

BUT! There are a lot of mom and pop places that are not condos per se but are more like one bedroom with kitchen rentals by the week. Sort of small complexes of 8 or 12 units with a pool and on or within a block from the beach. Most have repeat renters who put their deposit down as they leave on April 1 but they become like family as it's always the same people each year.

Airbnb/VRBO might also provide some help.

Just remember that some places in Florida can be sketchy so do a lot of homework and if you're going to drop $3K, maybe even fly down for a day in May to check things out before paying a deposit.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:49 AM   #14

VRBO is a great option we've used frequently for monthly rentals. But don't limit your search to places that only list monthly rates. Send out an inquiry to any and all places that hits your buttons. And I always ask for a discount if it's in shoulder season or the calendar shows vacancies for that time.
Craigslist is an option but do your homework, quite a few scams.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:22 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

In our area, a one month rental for Feburary would be rare... most owners want at least Jan-Mar or better yet, Jan-Apr..... however, you might be able to snag a last minute thing where a planned rental falls through because of health issues or whatever and the landlord is trying to find a replacement in the hope that it will turn into a full season rental the following season.

Also, in our area, getting something near the beach would be a lot more than $2,200/month.... we heard of a couple that were paying $5,000/month near Siesta Key... they had been told that the condo was "near the beach"... and "near" was really 2 miles from the beach!

So anywho, in our area $2,200 for just February near the beach is highly unlikely. We have some friends who rent a very nice 2/2 down the street and I think they pay ~$11,000 for Jan-Apr.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:08 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

We’ve been spending 1-2 months in Fl the last 3 years. Our prices so far

Key West in Old Town in November- $5000 for 2 bed 2 bath

Same KW in Jan $8000

Anna Maria 3 bedroom one block from beach in January $4700 (just left this one a couple days ago).

Both of these homes are simple/no frills type homes. I’ve decided that I’d rather have a cheaper house in a great location than a luxury house in an iffy location.

This past January was way to cold in Anna Maria. Definitely made it much less enjoyable. We are from Minnesota so pretty much anything is warmer but we are finding that we need temps to be at least 65 to be enjoyable (and worth the expense). This is one of the many reasons we love KW so much!
YeahNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:17 AM   #17

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
On the mainland, one mile from the beach, 55+ community with golf course.

http://www.vistaroyale.org/condo-ava...do-leases.html

At this point - owners will negotiate if they have not already rented.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote