Repair before Replace?

I was introduced to JB Weld several years ago but a friend that was modifying his dash board. I now buy it in bulk, since it's an amazing product, especially the 5 minute epoxy one.

I use JB weld, but mostly rely on PC-7 and PC-11. It's like JB weld, but will bond anything to anything. I've used it on many different things.

I've never heard of PC-7 and PC-11 and didn't see it beside where I purchase JB Weld or other epoxy's such as Loctite etc.

As a perpetual tinkerer, allow me to point out the difference between fix and repair.:)

When one takes a dog to the vet to get it fix..ed, that dog is not back to fully functioning after said fix. If it is sick and the vet gives some meds, does some surgery etc. the dog usually is back to full functioning in a short time. That would be a repair. ;)

Ok, now back to my current project, re-tracking my satellite dish azimuth and elevation drives, last big storm knocked it sligthly off. Then search for new transponders.

I never really thought that much into the difference between "fix" and "repair". Thanks for the detailed explanation. :greetings10:

PC-7 was (supposedly?) developed for the space administration for patching cracks in nose cones of space-craft (probably not those that carried astronauts). When I first started buying it years ago, it came with a mil-spec number. Only place I've ever found it around here is at ACE hardware. I've also bought it off the internet. $10 for 2 6oz. cans--you mix equal parts of A & B, so it ain't cheap.

I have always repaired stuff. I find that often the point of failure is a design problem and that once it is repaired, it lasts forever. If it fails a few more times, I will often fix it and sell it on craigslist.

Since retiring, I have the time.

As a perpetual tinkerer, allow me to point out the difference between fix and repair.:)

When one takes a dog to the vet to get it fix..ed, that dog is not back to fully functioning after said fix. If it is sick and the vet gives some meds, does some surgery etc. the dog usually is back to full functioning in a short time. That would be a repair. ;)

I have always repaired stuff. I find that often the point of failure is a design problem and that once it is repaired, it lasts forever.

I like ls99's distinction between 'fix' and 'repair', and I'd say kcowan has added a third category - 'improved after failure'. And I agree, it is often the weak link in the design - fix/improve it and it might have a long life afterwards.

Some of my 'fixes' are 'improvements'. Most are intended to be, but I don't always get it right.:blush:

-ERD50

So, since you've FIRE'd do you have a different mindset about buying stuff? I do as now when something breaks down, I think "can I fix it?" before deciding to just buy new to replace.
I'm willing to try to fix just about anything unless I need a welder, a metal-cutting lathe, a tap & die set, or an oscilloscope. I'm not proficient, I don't want to have to take care of the equipment, and I don't want to have to make parts for auto transmissions or contemplate microsoldering. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

I may someday pursue a time-domain reflectometer just to chase down broken sprinkler wires. That particular casualty really annoys me.

But during my final tour at a training command, the highlight of my day was watching the instructors repair submarine equipment with that gear. It was even more fun if it was equipment that we weren't supposed to be repairing.

Last edited:
My brother loved to fix stuff. Once we retired a 1975 Sony Trinitron. The repair shop had said it was not worth fixing. But rather than throwing it out we gave it to him. He had it working the next day. In an estate clean out, it was given to Good Will still working perfectly.

We also found 8 toasters, 6 electric kettles and numerous other items which he had retrieved from the trash and repaired as a hobby.

We also found 8 toasters, 6 electric kettles and numerous other items which he had retrieved from the trash and repaired as a hobby.

A lot of appliances that generate heat have a thermal fuse inside. In the bad ole days there was a reset button if they overheated. Not now, this tiny fuse blows and it is out to the curb. $2 item.

Ceramic & thermal fuses - Fuses - RadioShack.com

Attempting to repair before replacement is always much less expensive.

Ask somebody who went through couples therapy rather than getting divorced :LOL: .

(No - not me/DW)...

Back
Top Bottom