Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

repeat message - have a will
Old 05-02-2007, 11:02 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

repeat message - have a will

This has been discussed before, but it is important enough to bear repeating.

Yesterday we learned that a friend and co-worker died suddenly in a plane lavatory while returning from the west coast. She was 58, active, healthy and involved in many activities. She planned to retire in about 2 years. She had said to in the past that her partner of 30 years was financially dependent on her since he had been laid off late in his career, without yet having fully funded his retirement.

Apparently, she had no will.

One deferred compensation account lists siblings as benefactors, but no one knows her intentions for the bulk of her estate. The house was in her name only. The state, as the employer, will keep her retirement funds, since there is no beneficary. She recently inherited funds from her father and had the basic life insurance that comes with employment (about 1.5x salary). It is unclear whether any beneficiareis are identified. Her partner will be at the mercy of her family, who at this point is being kind and taking his lead for arrangements, but that could change.

We are all in shock, saddened and dumb founded at the loss and at the anticipated "unnecessary" chaos.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: repeat message - have a will
Old 05-02-2007, 01:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I could not agree more.

I knew a widow that was engaged when her "husband" died suddenly. There was no will nor other legal document that gave her ownership of anything...including her own things that she brought into "his" house before they were wed. The adult children (his) threw her out and would not allow her to even collect per own personal items beyond her clothing. It was ugly. I helped her find a lawyer to assist her in this but in the end she was not named by the deceased as an heir and not being legally married was therefore not entitled to anything.

I knew too many other men and women who could tell you the same thing when they lost their spouse or SO.

Don't wait! Do it NOW.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sorry Sandy for the loss of your friend, I'm sure that was quite a shock. I do hope that the family acknowledges her partner financially...30 years together is a long time. That's terrible, leaving no will. I know most people probably put it off since we feel like we will live forever. My husband died at 58 too....so living forever, ain't so.

One of the first things I did after my husband died was to have a new will made for myself. I named my daughter as my only heir. That will was only a hasty "just in case" thing and I just wanted something done quickly for my peace of mind since my husband died very suddenly too.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote