Replace eavestroughs at same time as shingles

accountingsucks

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm going to replace my shingles in spring. Was just wondering if people generally replace the gutters at the same time?

We did not.

I'm going to replace my shingles in spring. Was just wondering if people generally replace the gutters at the same time?

I did not, either.

Unless there's some reason to replace your gutters, why bother with the expense?

omni

Re-roofed last summer. Kept gutters.

For some reason I thought it was substantially cheaper to have the gutters done when the roof is done, instead of separately.

If not, then when we move to Springfield in a few years I will probably want to replace the gutters of my house right away. My present house has gutters with leaf guards, and I think they are wonderful to have. I have no desire to ever teeter around on ladders trying to clean leaves out my gutters. Yet it seems that most gutters do not have leaf guards.

We did a metal roof and no gutters on our new house. I’ve always hated the look of gutters and down spouts. But where the water hits the ground there’s an 18” wide row of flat rocks laid at a slight angle away form the house. The rocks also separate the yard form the planters.

Do the fascia and eves troughs together. But, if you need'em do'em. Might be cheaper from a roofer but YMMV.

It's pretty easy to determine whether the gutters need replacing. It's independent of what other things need doing to your house. I'll bet a roofing contractor told you you should do it at the same time. If so, get a second opinion on the shingles.

I remember changing a carpet, and the salesman told me I should replace the pad underneath as well. He said "You wouldn't buy a new suit but keep your same underwear would you?" "Sure -- I do it all the time." What a lot of baloney!

If you are doing a roof tear off, it is marginally easier to replace the facia board and the gutters when doing the roof. If the fascia board is sound, you can do the gutters at any time.

Contractors always want to stretch the job into adjoining areas - chimneys, gutters, skylights etc.

Back
Top Bottom