Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Replacing a car engine, chance of sucess?
Old 08-08-2006, 10:05 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh, go ahead.

Life does not come with many guarantees. I know you know that.

Be well.

Ed
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2006, 10:08 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
2) The head gasket fails as a result of a major engine overheat (loss of coolant). Should the engine locks because of overheating, most internal compoments are seriously affected. Although after cooling, the engine would restart, it's no longer in the same condition it was before.

The latter happens to be my case
Sorry, I didn't pick up on that in the thread. Because you said "don't ask", I was assuming you had done something like overboost the engine and gotten some detonation from too lean a fuel mixture and that had caused too much pressure in the cylinder head.

I was looking at a 99 Mazda MX5 Miata today that had the engine replaced because the original had spun a bearing. The guy had bought a wrecked car with a "good" engine and just done a swap. Being leery, I called my "expert" (SIL's boyfriend who is a mechanic and owns a used car lot - he's done a lot of engine replacements). His verdict was that if you don't know how good the engine is you're taking a gamble, and if you don't know how good the mechanic doing the swap was you're taking an equal chance. I think the rebuilts you're looking at with a 6mo/6k warranty are a decent risk. Another suggestion is that if you live in a big city you might be able to find a shop that does nothing but engine and transmission swapouts. If that's all they do I would think they would be a good bet for the right knowledge and experience. Good luck with it.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:37 AM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

A few years back I had a 2000 Dodge Stratus and the oil change place used the wrong oil filter and they double gasketed.* A month later filter became loose while driving and basically all the oil drained out and the engine completely seized up.* *

Oil change place had insurance which paid for a used replacement engine and I drove that car for another 2 years without any major problems with the engine (can’t remember what kind of warranty they gave me).* Finally got rid of it because so many other Stratus owners had major problems and I didn’t want to push my luck.*

When I was young I had a 1986 300ZX which had a small engine fire (an electrical recall I hadn’t been in to fix yet), so Nissan fixed the electrical and installed all new fuel injectors and a few other things free of charge.* The car ran great after that, but I was still pretty scared after having the engine fire (luckily I was just pulling into the driveway at the time and put the fire out quickly), so I sold the car soon afterwards.*
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:19 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Engine fires...ah, yes...the one my dad started using too much ether (starter fluid) in that GMC Jimmy. Never forget what Mr. Joy, the old crotchety mechanic at the engine shop said (after charging a mint to clean the engine--sand WILL put out a fire, but boy does it make a mess)--"Mack, you are the reason they shouldn't sell ether to the public!". I carried a fire extinguisher around in the car for many years after that!
...Chuckling at the memory of many, many hours my Dad and I have spent together working on various cars....

Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:29 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
...I will bet that there are discussion groups for this line of cars on the web.* Before you go signing checks, see if you can find one or two and ask there.
Sam,

I don't know if you have checked or not, but I bet there is a Z owners forum somewhere on the web.* I've found one of these for both our Bonnie and Impala SS.* A LOT of those guys/gals have had thier rides completely apart and may have some sage words for you and your situation.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:31 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
Oh, go ahead.

Life does not come with many guarantees.* I know you know that.* *

Be well.

Ed
I know, but thanks for the reminder.* *
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow-tie
Sam,

I don't know if you have checked or not, but I bet there is a Z owners forum somewhere on the web.* I've found one of these for both our Bonnie and Impala SS.* A LOT of those guys/gals have had thier rides completely apart and may have some sage words for you and your situation.
I checked the one on Yahoo, but it's practically dead.* *I will look for others.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:35 PM   #28

Thank you all for your inputs. You guys are great.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:20 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I checked the one on Yahoo, but it's practically dead. I will look for others.
Forgot all about them. Haven't been on here in years but you might find some good info here:
http://www.zcar.com/forums/list.php?f=3

The real gearheads hang out here but it's mostly first and second gen. Zs:
www.hybriz.org

Also found this one by googling it:
http://www.twinturbo.net/net/viewfor...neral&theme=01
Old 08-09-2006, 03:35 PM   #30

Many thanks Arif!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif
Forgot all about them. Haven't been on here in years but you might find some good info here:
http://www.zcar.com/forums/list.php?f=3

The real gearheads hang out here but it's mostly first and second gen. Zs:
www.hybriz.org

Also found this one by googling it:
http://www.twinturbo.net/net/viewfor...neral&theme=01
Old 08-11-2006, 11:11 AM   #31

I have had replacement engines in a couple vehicles. I had a 1982 Honda Civic wagon with 139K miles that had a head gasket problem and needed a new clutch. I had a replacement engine & transmission from Japan installed. It ran fine for me and I gave it to my older boy who ran it for a couple years with no problems until a tree fell on it and that was the end. I live in Southern California and there are places that do these swaps, cost is good and there is a warranty.
I also have a 1985 VW vanagon camper. When I had some problems I had a replacement Subaru engine installed. It was a local fellow who did the conversion and he assured that it would pass smog test which is important in CA. Now three years on the conversion and no problem running, although my particular vehicle needs extra atttention at smog test time every two years. The floow who did the installation has a supply of motors from Japan.
If I had a car I wanted to keep I would keep it going. I had a 1992 Taurus SHO which I loved and would have kept forever but it got totalled in an accident. But if it was an engine or other rebuildable part I would have kept it going. There is a finacnial question in this thread but there is also the issue of whether you have a car you love & want to keep.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:04 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
I gave it to my older boy who ran it for a couple years with no problems until a tree fell on it and that was the end.
Ah, the ol' "tree fell on it" excuse...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote