Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-25-2017, 10:28 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Get an electric tankless , size of a big city phone book and maybe weighs 10 lbs paid 395 .00 for mine . Get some sharkbites and in 2 hours you are going .
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2017, 10:58 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if we're not jumping the gun here. How old is the unit and what are the symptoms? It could just need a valve or anode rod replaced. It is an easy job but if you need to hire muscle anyway and you could get it done for $400 labor that's what I would suggest. Is the unit easily accessible e.g. No stairs to climb?
Old 08-25-2017, 11:05 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
... and remember: whatever else you do, make sure you turn on the water ((and fill the tank) BEFORE you turn on the electricity! Or you run the risk of frying your brand new heater.

This. My experience is it will fry the fusible link in the water heater heating element which is easily replaceable if this happens. This can also happen if you loose water pressure from the city or from your well pump and you have a leak somewhere. Without water pressure the tank will slowly drain until the heating element is uncovered by the water level and then fry the link.
BreathFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:05 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I wonder if we're not jumping the gun here. How old is the unit and what are the symptoms? It could just need a valve or anode rod replaced. It is an easy job but if you need to hire muscle anyway and you could get it done for $400 labor that's what I would suggest. Is the unit easily accessible e.g. No stairs to climb?

I was going to replace the rods, because it makes hot water but only a limited amount, enough to take a shower but not a bath, enough to wash dishes but not run the washing machine.

The thing is 24 years old, so it makes sense to replace it rather than repair it.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:07 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
Get an electric tankless , size of a big city phone book and maybe weighs 10 lbs paid 395 .00 for mine . Get some sharkbites and in 2 hours you are going .
I've been thinking about that option too....not sure which is best way to go.
I read with a tankless I would have to change the wiring and plumbing (not sure if that is true or not) and figured that would cost me more than just replacing the tank.
Replacing a hot water heater yourself
Old 08-25-2017, 11:09 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheitlQueen View Post
I was going to replace the rods, because it makes hot water but only a limited amount, enough to take a shower but not a bath, enough to wash dishes but not run the washing machine.

The thing is 24 years old, so it makes sense to replace it rather than repair it.

Yup, time to replace, but it sounds like one of the heating elements has failed and the other still works.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:22 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

On the subject of water heaters, I was inspecting a vessel and noticed they had pipe plug screwed into their pop off valve for the hot water heater. The crew said it was dripping on the deck. LOL!! Don't ever do this. Make sure the pop off valve is piped to a safe location and is clear. If the thermostat fails, and the pop off is plugged, the hot water heater will turn into a boiler and explode. Here is a link to what that will look like:

BreathFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:30 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Yup, time to replace, but it sounds like one of the heating elements has failed and the other still works.
Exactly, which is why I considered just replacing the elements, but the thing is so old it's probably wise to replace it.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:36 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

I've done several electric and 1 gas. Toughest part is getting the old one out and the new one in place. Wiring/gas/plumbing is easy.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:45 AM   #30

It's an okay demonstration, but they left out the part where anyone standing within range of the steam gets a new experience in pain from the scalding and subsequent skin grafts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreathFree View Post
If the thermostat fails, and the pop off is plugged, the hot water heater will turn into a boiler and explode. Here is a link to what that will look like:

Old 08-25-2017, 12:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheitlQueen View Post

You got 24 years out of a water heater! Sounds like a world record, once again Ill be a big shot with your money, get one of the places that gave you a quote, go with the one with the best warranty for installation, you dont want to mess with violating some new code, burn up your house and then get left holding the bag or fighting with your insurance company.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:58 PM   #32
gone traveling

I've replaced them myself; it's an easy job for someone who is handy. Toughest part is moving the tank, but usually a friend or neighbor kid will help with that. If it's been 24 years you should make sure you're aware of any new codes - people in the box stores might be able to help with that - for example earthquake bracing.

I'm on the fence about replacing it - generally if it's not leaking, you don't need to replace it - you can just replace whatever part is bad. But then, if it's really been 24 years (!), then I'd say it doesn't have much life left in it anyway - you're lucky to have gotten this much.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:27 PM   #33

This made me curious, so I looked up my receipt from the last time I had one replaced.

Had it installed by a reputable local plumbing business on April 17, 2001
It's a 40 gallon gas 'State Select 8' (8 year warranty)

Heater 233.80
Copper adapters 6.98
Couplings .89
$241.67

Tax 16.92
haul away 10.00
Labor 104.00

Total $372.59
Old 08-25-2017, 02:35 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

What happens is the bottom of the tank gets filled up with the hard water "clinkers" (and these get as big as golf balls) which impedes the heat transfer so you run out of water sooner and sooner. Cranking up the thermostat will help for a while but makes clinkers even faster.

So yeah, you need a new heater -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:41 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
What happens is the bottom of the tank gets filled up with the hard water "clinkers" (and these get as big as golf balls) which impedes the heat transfer so you run out of water sooner and sooner. Cranking up the thermostat will help for a while but makes clinkers even faster.

So yeah, you need a new heater -
The other common problem is the dip tube breaks off so you are only using the hot water at the top of the tank. But at 24 years sold, I'd replace it. https://www.waterheaterleakinginfo.c...-the-dip-tube/
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:42 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I'm with BCG..... there are things that we can do that is not worth doing.... and having the resources and knowledge of which ones they are is important....

I have a BIL who was a car mechanic... but pays to have his cars fixed.... he could save money doing it himself, but does not like the work and has plenty of money to pay someone else...

So, I will vote to spend your money and have someone else do it...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:45 PM   #37

New "efficient " WH regulations tacked about $150.00 to the price of WHs. Insulation shortened the life of the glass tank, so the tanks are just a tiny bit thicker, making the costs go up, so they say.

I have replaced many tanks over the years my own, my rental units, my mom's, sister's and I will be replacing my brother's 13 yo tank on Sunday. Not hard, but I expect the added insulation to raise the tank up so I'll have to shorten the fittings.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:50 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
This made me curious, so I looked up my receipt from the last time I had one replaced.

Had it installed by a reputable local plumbing business on April 17, 2001
It's a 40 gallon gas 'State Select 8' (8 year warranty)

Heater 233.80
Copper adapters 6.98
Couplings .89
$241.67

Tax 16.92
haul away 10.00
Labor 104.00

Total $372.59
I wish that was the current price! Now just the water heater costs more than that!
Old 08-25-2017, 02:51 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
The other common problem is the dip tube breaks off so you are only using the hot water at the top of the tank. But a 24 years sold, I'd replace it. https://www.waterheaterleakinginfo.c...-the-dip-tube/
Yeah, I found that online too but decided I didn't want to do that type of repair.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:04 PM   #40

If you have the 220 / electricity available and you should if you are replacing an electric water heater . It is real easy with a tankless. We bought a tankless water heater off of Ebay for 394.00 from a company in Dallas Texas . I mounted the water heater to the wall because if I have to replace again , because I am on a well I got a Schrader filter 18.00 , two shark bite fittings 8.00 each

394.00 water heater
18.00 Schrader water filter
16.00 2 shark bites
428.00 total

A real simple job , hardest part is how to mount your water heater.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote