Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Replacing Lexmark printer cartridge
Old 10-16-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Replacing Lexmark printer cartridge

I have an ancient Lexmark color jetprinter 1000 that needs the printer cartridge replaced. I don't know how to access the print head which is seated smugly and snugly at one side with some sheet material preventing access.
I have done it before but so long ago I don't remember. I have the quick setup sheet for printer and the manual for the computer but no manual for the printer. Some pictures on the printer suggest step 1 is something w/ a mouse but I have no clue what that means.

I unplugged the printer hoping the printhead would come to an exposed position......no luck. Not sure I want to force anything just yet. The Lexmark Tech support tel no. doesn't work..........hopefully just because it's Saturday but that's not what the message was........"temporarily doesn't work". A "sponsored" link on Google that I thought was Lexmark tech support wanted $16 for an answer.

Any ideas?
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #2

Free Service Manuals and Handbooks Download -- Lexmark 1000 Color Jetprinter Printer has a free service manual.
Perhaps taking a look through it will give you an idea of what area you are trying to access and how to get to it.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Consider buying a newer printer for about $10 at a garage sale.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:56 PM   #4

omni, thanks for the link. I've saved for future use.....couldn't find what I was looking for there (probably me) but in desperation, I turned off the power and gently pulled the cartridge into view so I was able to change it.
I was a bit surprised that I was able to buy a genuine replacement for a reasonable price $12 and free shipping for such an old printer. Toying with
the idea of getting another in case the world's supply goes to 0. Anyone have a feel for how long you can store and unused/unopened new cartridge w/o problems?
Old 10-16-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

The manufacturers often say 6 months, and sometimes there is an expiration date.

However, I've picked up some that are years past that date and still work fine. I store them in the fridge.

I've got about a five-year supply from garage sales, etc, and also have the stuff for refilling cartridges, but I'm not sure how long I can stretch it out.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:11 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
I have an ancient Lexmark color jetprinter 1000 that needs the printer cartridge replaced. I don't know how to access the print head which is seated smugly and snugly at one side with some sheet material preventing access.
Just to confirm something you probably already know (because you mentioned a "printhead")--the printhead in these Lexmark printers is actually built into the ink cartridge. I like the design--at the very worst you replace the cartridge and you've replaced everything that can clog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Some pictures on the printer suggest step 1 is something w/ a mouse but I have no clue what that means.
This looks to me like the sticker is trying to tell you to access the software provided with the printer in order to tell the printer to move the ink cartridges to the middle. That software is whatever you use to calibrate the printer after replacing the cartridges, maybe it tells you the ink status, etc. It's been awhile since I used a Lexmark (I like them), but IIRC you have to do some of this when you replace the cartridge. I recommend you look around on your desktop, your control panel, or down int he windows task tray for any software that has Lexmark in the title. Click on the icon and look for "tools". "cartidge replacement", "supplies" or some similar menu option and you'll be on your way.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:23 PM   #7

samclem........thanks for the tips. That will be a worthy challenge for my limited skills........maybe I should try to find the manual again.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:46 PM   #8

Well ......I guess I just proved that old dogs can do old tricks .....if reminded.
Good thing this is on the old PC rather than the Mac. Found the Lexmark stuff using Search and then found the online guide......never had a manual so that's why I couldn't find it. Then when I thought I was home free, I clicked on cartridge and got an error message that the printer was not online so could not communicate. No reason why but just for the heck of it, I went to the word processor and printed a test message, then went back to Lexmark, cartridge, and voila! success. Even found out the ink level meter is not a real thing since it remained low until I told it I put in a new cartridge. It must count down from full rather than knowing what the actual level is. Even did the align which was pretty close to original setting. So many thanks again, Samclem............now all documented, warts and all for the next time.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Super--good hunch-based troubleshooting on your part.
Keep that beastie running as long as possible. I refilled the ink cartridges on my Lexmark for a long time, I think it was probably cheaper per page than my color laser printer (and not a whole lot more hassle, either).
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote