Replacing water feed line to older house

Hillbilly

Recycles dryer sheets
House was built in 1952. Upon purchasing in 1991, I've changed all the under house plumbing to copper, however, I've yet to change the underground water line feed from the water meter to the house. The old piping which was removed under the house was galv pipe and about half full of sediment (aka clogged). Once it was removed the water pressure went up (to say the least): pressure today runs about 90 psi. The water company has been in the area changing out their water pipes to the meters which in their judgement needs to be changed out every 50 years.

Questions: If you have a similair situation, what was your experience in changing this water feed piping? Was it needed? A waste of money? What type of replacement pipe did you use? Was it expensive? Would you have it done again? Or did you say the heck with it?

Your thoughts/experince are appreicated. Home ownership can be so fun at times... :p

Hillbilly

I did on a rehab i was doing... built in 1922

Wasnt a a big project...it went well...but then again, it was leaking, so...it had to be done

if you can cope with the pressure now, fuggeddaboutit

i should note...i did it myself...if you need to pay someone, it will be expensive, i imagine

Google this:

replacing pipe from water meter to house

cost me 2700.00 a few years ago in new york.

copper pipe thru a pvc sleeve.

they opened up the street and channeled under my porch with a cutter that opened a new hole in my wall. they then fed the sleeve and tubing thru.

I had a similar situation, except with a well, not muni water. Replaced all piping and had it sleeved.

Bottom line, if you intend to live in the house for a while look at (maintain) EVERYTHING every 25 years.

I've had this done twice (at 2 different rentals). Once was a water main break; $1800 for a dig and repair. The other was a replace but was done by treading a new copper line INSIDE the old 1" line (can't remember what that cost).

Used to be the city owned the meter and the pipe leading to the meter. Then some genius decided to SELL the homeowers the meters and gift the waterlines to them ... so we pay and pay again (to repair) :mad:.

We had to reroute the line at my mom's house because the original copper line kept springing leaks, probably due to the tree root running along it and pushing rocks into it. After two or three patch jobs we dug a new trench and routed around the tree. We used PVC. No problems so far. The digging was the hardest part.

Temporarily we had a garden hose as the feed, but just long enough to dig the trench and lay the new pipes.

Thanks to all that replied. This year I crossed over into FI and now looking towards RE. I started looking long term (up to 20 years out) at the house for those major areas (aka expense) that could cause pain years down the road. It seems easier to replace the line now while the cash flow from the job is in place and avoid a big hit later. Doing so should last a life time. Also, appreicate the copper line inside the PVC (cheap insurance). Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom