Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=Westernskies;1057141 and still enjoy all the benefits of living in the US, with none of the responsibilities...(hypothetically speaking, of course...)[/QUOTE]

Like I said earlier, I'm not trying to shirk something I've never done - 8 jury duties in 12 years is a "responsibility" I've fulfilled. Along with being an upstanding citizen, such as never commiting a crime, paying taxes on time, living within my means, taking care of family so that government didn't have to do it. At this point it is I who is being taken advantage of.
SkisALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe we all ought to lobby our respective state legislatures to pass a law mandating that no one may be compelled to serve on a jury more than once every three years or some such.
glippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by glippy
Maybe we all ought to lobby our respective state legislatures to pass a law mandating that no one may be compelled to serve on a jury more than once every three years or some such.
Or lobby that first round of jury summons go to those receiving unemployment benefits. Could be quite the trade off, plus they could probably use the extra income, though it's not much. Just an idea.
dpruitt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpruitt85 View Post
Or lobby that first round of jury summons go to those receiving unemployment benefits. Could be quite the trade off, plus they could probably use the extra income, though it's not much. Just an idea.
Just make sure that you'll be happy with that jury should you ever find yourself in court. (Needn't be a crime. You could have a crazy neighbor that likes to file lawsuits. )
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Just make sure that you'll be happy with that jury should you ever find yourself in court. (Needn't be a crime. You could have a crazy neighbor that likes to file lawsuits. )
Sad isn't it? The burden is always on conscientious citizens. Good guys always finish last.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've noticed there's a difference in the way jurors are treated in Federal court where the judges are annointed for life and county court where all the officials are elected by the local voters including potential jurors.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Just make sure that you'll be happy with that jury should you ever find yourself in court. )
I wouldn't be happy with a jury that consists of once decent citizens who's sense of responsibility has been severely abused as is happening now.
I think EVERYONE should serve on jury duty a few times in a lifttime, including those on welfare. Don't shortchange those people's intelligence. They can think enough to milk the system. Why not make them work for the money they're getting.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:41 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

SkisALot, check my posts on this topic -- I'm in a similar boat to yours.

Recently, a jury administrator told me that if I put down the fact that I have to drive 35 miles each way to the courthouse, I will be excused from any long trials.

She also told me that they don't have the resources to follow up after the threatening letters. However, I don't think I could ignore that letter.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:13 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm actually considering going down to the courthouse once a year or so and volunteering for jury service. Then, If I do get to sit thru the selection process, I'll have my certificate of service for the full year...so I don't have to worry about rescheduling my FIRE activities. I'm thinking late January would be perfect. Besides that, I've lived overseas so long that I feel bad about not serving.

Skisalot-you mentioned your DH is 74. What is your age? I think my folks didn't have to serve after a certain age...can't remember if it was 65 or 70. But you might want to check out the age related waiver.

R
Old 04-08-2011, 05:27 AM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

I served Federal Jury Duty in January, the Jury administrator told us once you are on the "list" you cannot get off even if you drop your drivers license and stop voting.

She said that they have sent Federal Marshals to people's homes to pick up people who were "awol"
JARON46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:46 AM   #31
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
I've noticed there's a difference in the way jurors are treated in Federal court where the judges are annointed for life and county court where all the officials are elected by the local voters including potential jurors.
"absolute power corrupts absolutely" is the quote that comes to mind...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:06 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

I'll come to California and be your substitute, Skis. The only time I was called for jury duty (county courts, too; not put on a jury) was in 1981. I can't believe it.

DH hasn't been called in about 15 years; he worked in an occupation that used to be exempt from jury duty, but the courts dropped those for the most part (a good thing imho). He did have to cancel a vacation to serve and did get put on a case.

DD was called and did serve on a jury last year. She said the judge lambasted the people in the pool who answered questions in an obvious "don't put me on a jury" way (such as "I think I know the defense lawyer's brother"), but he let them walk away anyway.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Skisalot-you mentioned your DH is 74. What is your age? I think my folks didn't have to serve after a certain age...can't remember if it was 65 or 70. But you might want to check out the age related waiver.

R
Where we live it is 70, and on the summons it states that while you can decline to attend if you are over 70, they would still welcome you as a juror.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm 61. The cut-off age here in California is 70.5. If you live over 80 miles both Federal and Superior courts give a "subsidy" for a motel, but you have to pay first, then get reimbursed. I live 75 miles, but it's a mountain road; I've driven in severe blizzards to get to jury duty in the winter. Once it took me 3.5 hours to get there. I asked to be rescheduled in the summer ; they said road conditions were not an excuse and scheduled me for February. Same conditions.
They also say it's random, but once you're on the list your're on the list. So much for random. My issue with voting is that if this is the "system" (and it is) I don't want any part of it; I think the whole thing is a power scam: Let's show these people who's boss. Next we'll have to ask "someone" for permission to move to another apartment or house like they've had to do in another country.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=Bestwifeever;1057339]I'll come to California and be your substitute, Skis.

GREAT. You can stay here at my house. I have to warn you, though, we got 2 feet of snow last night so first you'll have to dig out.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=TromboneAl;1057267]SkisALot, check my posts on this topic -- I'm in a similar boat to yours.

How do you find your posts? (I'm not real up on the stuff here).
Old 04-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I'm actually considering going down to the courthouse once a year or so and volunteering for jury service.

R
I know a guy who is a mediator for the court and he says that you can volunteer by showing up in the morning and checking in and if they need more people they will take you. I was once in the jury room when not enough people showed up and there was a volunteer, but even with him there still weren't enough people so we were all sent home, but not before the jury person said what horrible things they were going to do to those who didn't show up. Her venom was scary.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

When I get called, I show up and say the same thing: "Yes, I am familiar with the case, and yes, I believe the defendant is guilty and the judge should throw the book at him/her"...gets me excused real quick!!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #39

Quote:
I'm actually considering going down to the courthouse once a year or so and volunteering for jury service. Then, If I do get to sit thru the selection process, I'll have my certificate of service for the full year...so I don't have to worry about rescheduling my FIRE activities. I'm thinking late January would be perfect. Besides that, I've lived overseas so long that I feel bad about not serving.

R
Don't know if you can do that.
If you could, DW would have done it a long time ago. DW loves to serve on juries (it takes all kinds to make a world).
Great news! After several years of waiting, DW got called to jury duty yesterday.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:44 PM   #40

According to online FAQs, for federal courts in Hawaii, 70 is the age you start getting excused, and for state courts it's 80. For both, lists of potential jurors are made up by sending questionnaires to people randomly selected from various sources. In my experience, the easy way to avoid being called is not to reply to that questionnaire. The first one I got here in Hawaii, I did answer, and I had to serve. I moved in 1994, got a new questionnaire (by ordinary mail) but didn't answer it. I heard nothing further. (However, far be it from me to recommend that anyone fail to answer such a questionnaire, since that is illegal, I think.)