Rescinding Voter Registration

SkisALot

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm rescinding my voter registration. I've been called to jury duty for the second time since December 2010, this time to Federal court for at least 30 days, the time before for Superior court for a week. I've been told I'll be called to superior court again in December, that will make 3 times in one year. I've previously been called every year, year after year. I know that rescinding my voter registration will not get me removed from the repeated list, but I will not take part in a system that is so in contempt of a person's freedom to come and go at will. I've never had as much as a parking ticket, always followed the rules, and worked hard to be able to enjoy my later years with DH, but now we have to curtail our lives because of some brutal, power hungry system. I'll never vote again. When I called the jury office to tell them that my car has 160K miles on it, has trouble starting, the person in the office told me to take the train or bus. I live 75 miles (one way) from the courthouse on a mountain road and in an area that doesn't even have ambulance service much less a train. She told me in a very nasty tone of voice that that was no excuse, that I'd have to find a way or face a penalty. I'll never vote again.

We have a rule here (Chicago) that once you're called and served jury duty, you don't have to serve again for a full year. All you need to do is show proof of your jury service. You should check the rules in your area.

I checked. Here in California they can call you for Federal and Superior courts in the same year. And they call the same people "randomly" year after year. It's happening to a lot of us here. In fact, I'm hearing that it's happening like this all over the country.

Sorry to hear that, I get called for jury duty every 3-4 years. What you're getting seems pretty painful.

Let the judge or interviewers know that you are aware and understand the rights of jury veto and nullification (read up on it). Almost guaranteed you'll be relieved of your duties immediately.

It pretty much means that you will not rule with the law if you do not agree with the law. Judges and lawyers will not inform you of this right because they despise it.

Yes, I'm very aware of my rights as a juror; I've read extensively, and I'll tell you, they DO NOT like it, in fact, they do everything just short of a threat to get you to renounce your rights. The difficult part is the intrusion on my lifestyle. I mean, I did jury duty for 5 years in a row (before this year); it isn't like I'm trying to get out of something I've never done. I've done my part. I just want to enjoy my life with DH who is 74.

How much is the penalty? At this point it might be worth the money.

Or you could be like one of my parent's self-employed friends. He simply could not afford the time away, so he marked down that he could not serve because he was a felon. Was never summoned again.

The penalty is $1000 - which I would gladly pay - 3 days in jail - which I would gladly do at this point and I'm not kidding - community service - which galls me because I pick up garbage - but the hardest part is suspension of my driver's license. That's the one I'm having the most difficult time with. However; I'm getting close to mailing it to them. DH supposrt this.

P.S.
If I had it all to do over, I would either check the wrong box, or I would never have answered the first summons. I've talked to people who have ignored the summons and threatening letter that follows and have never been called again. On the other hand, a friend of my was served a warrant for failure to show.

Perhaps it might be worth contacting your elected official to see if they can help. Barring that, perhaps the local media would be interested.

DW just got called for jury duty, however we are on extended vacation on another continent. Only reason she knows about it is that our son is checking the mail. He called them and they told him simply to send back the letter with a note saying she is on vacation.

If our son wasn't checking the mail, I wonder if they would have come after her with a fine etc. Like me she has been called 3 times in the last 7 years.

Perhaps it might be worth contacting your elected official to see if they can help. Barring that, perhaps the local media would be interested.

I'm gathering names of the media that might be interested because I know that I'm not the only one this is happening to. As for the officials. . . one year a few days before I was scheduled, my elderly mother became ill. I called the jury commissioner to ask for a reschedule because I was going out of town to care for my mother and she told me that I would have to get court approval in writing to leave town. I'm serious. I said, through clenched teeth, "okay, how long will that take." She said, "oh about a few weeks." I said, "I'm leaving town right now. And told her where to find me. I then wrote to the court administrator and told the story. Her answer: tough. Deal with the inconvience. BUT, I was given a year off.

DW just got called for jury duty, however we are on extended vacation on another continent. Only reason she knows about it is that our son is checking the mail. He called them and they told him simply to send back the letter with a note saying she is on vacation.

If our son wasn't checking the mail, I wonder if they would have come after her with a fine etc. Like me she has been called 3 times in the last 7 years.

Alan, maybe you could act as a remail service for the OP, postmarking her regrets about being unable to be there in person from the UK... :whistle:

Alan, maybe you could act as a remail service for the OP, postmarking her regrets about being unable to be there in person from the UK... :whistle:

I wouldn't dream of doing anything illegal.

I do emphasize with the OP though, as the courts are pretty unforgiving. I was called in 2004, turned up and not selected. In 2006 I was called, and selected, on a Monday. I was due to fly to Europe on the Saturday and was told that I would have to ask the judge in the courtroom. He said he expected the case to be over in 2 or 3 days, which, fortunately, it was.

I was called again in 2009 while out of State on the commissioning team of a new production unit. No getting out of jury duty but no need to turn up as the selection process this time was on-line over the weekend before the cases were to be held. However, I was selected :( so drove 5 hrs on the Sunday to turn up at the courthouse on the Monday morning, but the case had been settled out of court at the last moment that morning.

Although I'm sure the laws vary by state, it's not just voter registration that can get you called to jury duty. Several years ago we had a foreign exchange student living with us for a year. While he was here he got his KY driver's license (and turned 18). Shortly after he returned to his home in Gemany he received a jury summons (mailed to our address). I was very surprised this happened since he was not a citizen, nor was he 21 yrs old which I thought was needed for jury duty. I responded that he had returned to Germany and heard nothing more.

Let the judge or interviewers know that you are aware and understand the rights of jury veto and nullification (read up on it). Almost guaranteed you'll be relieved of your duties immediately.
I tried that. Neither judge nor lawyers appeared to care in the slightest, and I still had to serve on the jury.

I'm rescinding my voter registration. I've been called to jury duty for the second time since December 2010, this time to Federal court for at least 30 days, the time before for Superior court for a week. I've been told I'll be called to superior court again in December, that will make 3 times in one year. I've previously been called every year, year after year. I know that rescinding my voter registration will not get me removed from the repeated list, but I will not take part in a system that is so in contempt of a person's freedom to come and go at will. I've never had as much as a parking ticket, always followed the rules, and worked hard to be able to enjoy my later years with DH, but now we have to curtail our lives because of some brutal, power hungry system. I'll never vote again. When I called the jury office to tell them that my car has 160K miles on it, has trouble starting, the person in the office told me to take the train or bus. I live 75 miles (one way) from the courthouse on a mountain road and in an area that doesn't even have ambulance service much less a train. She told me in a very nasty tone of voice that that was no excuse, that I'd have to find a way or face a penalty. I'll never vote again.

...maybe they are having a hard time finding legal residents in the State of California? :whistle:

That's probably not a joke!!!! So. . .how do I become illegal.

Instead of just rescinding your voter registration, you could also renounce your citizenship, then sneak back across the border.... and still enjoy all the benefits of living in the US, with none of the responsibilities...(hypothetically speaking, of course...:LOL:)

Probably something to do with finding people who can afford to miss work for months at a time. Legal system probably prefers government workers and retirees for that reason.

I would suspect that simply staring at the defendant and curling your lip and glaring would get you kicked by a defense attorney challenge.

Maybe we all ought to lobby our respective state legislatures to pass a law mandating that no one may be compelled to serve on a jury more than once every three years or some such.

glippy said:
Maybe we all ought to lobby our respective state legislatures to pass a law mandating that no one may be compelled to serve on a jury more than once every three years or some such.

Or lobby that first round of jury summons go to those receiving unemployment benefits. Could be quite the trade off, plus they could probably use the extra income, though it's not much. Just an idea.

Or lobby that first round of jury summons go to those receiving unemployment benefits. Could be quite the trade off, plus they could probably use the extra income, though it's not much. Just an idea.

Just make sure that you'll be happy with that jury should you ever find yourself in court. (Needn't be a crime. You could have a crazy neighbor that likes to file lawsuits. :nonono:)

Just make sure that you'll be happy with that jury should you ever find yourself in court. (Needn't be a crime. You could have a crazy neighbor that likes to file lawsuits. :nonono:)
Sad isn't it? The burden is always on conscientious citizens. Good guys always finish last.

Back
Top Bottom