Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-12-2017, 07:34 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
So, why do Target, Home Depot, Whole Foods, and Dollar General seem to be expanding and thriving and hiring?
There are some customers who want it NOW (even with Amazon Prime you have to wait a day or two) and some items best bought locally, such as fresh produce. HD carries a lot of items that are clumsy and expensive to ship and deliver.

Interesting distinction, though. Our small town has 2 Dollar General/Family Dollar type stores and they're building yet another one. The population is mostly blue-collar so it may be that they're not willing to shell out for an Amazon Prime membership and they like the excitement of going to the Dollar Store to see what new bargains are in stock.

As for Costco- no high mall rents, for one thing. They're usually off a major highway somewhere. I'm there weekly for food and liquor but really appreciate them for big-ticket items where there's a bewildering variety of choices (mattresses, computers, hearing aids, eyeglasses, tires). I can trust them to narrow their selection down to a few good ones and add a modest markup so I don't have to figure out if I'm getting a good deal.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2017, 08:13 AM   #82
Give me a forum ...

I buy more and more online every year. But a post above left me curious about two things I can't buy online. Excel makes it easy to summarize our own 2016 spending, just one data point, doesn't prove anything. We weren't even Costco members until two years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ppp.jpg (66.9 KB, 22 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:16 AM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would think our graph is similar to Midpack's. On the grocery side the local grocery and Costco would be bigger. No Whole Foods and the Target would be smaller and be replaced by Walmart. Target crashed and burned in Canada after displacing another major retailer. On the gas side, we would be about the same.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:55 AM   #84

Apropos, there was an article today in the Financial Post in Canada about why our retail malls are thriving while American ones suffer.

Even though the paper buys into the mall owners spin on "better design" it mostly comes down to the quantity of retail square footage and penetration. A function of the small size of our population and our large geographic dispersion.

Why Canadian malls are thriving while American ones struggle
Better design and ‘atmosphere’: Why Canadian malls are thriving while American ones struggle | Financial Post
Old 01-12-2017, 09:59 AM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

For every action...
Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) — Amazon plans to hire 100,000 people across the U.S. over the next 18 months.

The online retailer said Thursday that the jobs are full time and come with benefits. Many of the new jobs will be at fulfillment centers currently being built in a number of states, including California, Florida and Texas.

Amazon.com Inc. says it's expanded its U.S. workforce by more than 150,000 people in the last five years

The hiring surge comes as traditional retailers cut jobs and close stores.
Amazon plans to hire 100,000 over the next 18 months
Old 01-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Retail Store Closings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Why Canadian malls are thriving while American ones struggle | Financial Post
Interesting. I'm headed to Toronto in May after not having been there for years- used to be a business destination. I was planning a nostalgic trip to Eaton Centre. Glad to see it's still there.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Interesting. I'm headed to Toronto in May after not having been there for years- used to be a business destination. I was planning a nostalgic trip to Eaton Centre. Glad to see it's still there.
Yes, it's still busy after all these years, and outlived the Eaton's department store brand. From Wikipedia:

"Despite the controversy and criticisms, the centre was an immediate success, spawning many different shopping centres across Canada bearing the same brand name of Eaton. The mall's profits were said to be so lucrative that it has often been credited with keeping the troubled Eaton's chain afloat for another two decades before it succumbed to bankruptcy in 1999. Today, the Eaton Centre is one of North America's top shopping destinations, and is Toronto's most popular tourist attraction."
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #88
Moderator Emeritus

The closest mall to me (very high end) kicked its movie theaters out about twenty years or so ago--the retail space was turned into more profitable stores. Today it has opened a brand new huge multiscreen theater component within the mall, including lots of new restaurants. Guess the movie theaters are more profitable now, or at least are a marketing ploy to entice new stores ("look how many customers our theaters bring in!").

The Macy's used to be Marshall Field's and I have walked through there once, shortly before Christmas, on the way to my car. Not a thing has been updated in the ten years since the Macy's name was slapped on it, and it was in dire need of a facelift even then. It was not crowded even though Christmas was ten days away, but it is likely one of Macy's more profitable stores so I imagine it will not be closed.

Malls killed the downtowns of many small cities and towns; big box stores are killing the malls; Amazon is killing the big box stores. What next....
Old 01-12-2017, 10:44 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Malls killed the downtowns of many small cities and towns; big box stores are killing the malls; Amazon is killing the big box stores. What next....
I predict drone warehouses, a constant buzzing of drones in the sky, drone crashes, accidental beheadings due to drones, and a resurgence of small specialty stores downtown. Other than that, we will go back to the land.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:46 AM   #90

While reading about the downfall of Sears I learned the online shopping site they've been pushing for years is shopyourway.com. That I'd not heard of that site before reading about the parent company's doom succinctly illustrates the Sears problem, and perhaps that of other traditional retailers.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:03 AM   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I predict drone warehouses, a constant buzzing of drones in the sky, drone crashes, accidental beheadings due to drones, and a resurgence of small specialty stores downtown. Other than that, we will go back to the land.
Drones--I can't wait!

Maybe a form of Etsy is the next evolution--individuals making and selling stuff one thing at a time, now online, perhaps opening up the small specialty stores downtown.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:10 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Drones--I can't wait!

Maybe a form of Etsy is the next evolution--individuals making and selling stuff one thing at a time, now online, perhaps opening up the small specialty stores downtown.
Drone traffic will decrease when 3D printers become commodities. We will order the blueprints electronically and will print our own gadgets at home. This will save transportation and packaging. The trucking industry will shrink.

If you wonder why goods are so expensive in remote areas, take a look at this blog by Trucker Josh, a Canadian trucker who has just taken his first trip up the Alaska Highway.

https://youtu.be/I0E4xxAEiA0

https://youtu.be/zoTMap1S7qg
Old 01-12-2017, 11:27 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Where we live gas is expensive. Sometimes the weather is not great. Stores are often understaffed or staffed by people who either no little about what they are selling or are completely indifferent to customers.

Our on line shopping has increased substantially for all of the above reasons plus much better price/selection options that we get from on line purchases.

We also buy from Costco. No sales help but that is not much different from many of the so called full service mall stores. Lower prices and a return policy that is unmatched.

No wonder traditional retail is dying. There are some smart specialized retailers in our area who have twigged to the fact that if you provide excellent service and a good selection in a narrower range of product that customers will come. This is something that the Sears of the world have not been able to accomplish for decades. They are paying the price.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There are some customers who want it NOW (even with Amazon Prime you have to wait a day or two) and some items best bought locally, such as fresh produce. HD carries a lot of items that are clumsy and expensive to ship and deliver.

Interesting distinction, though. Our small town has 2 Dollar General/Family Dollar type stores and they're building yet another one. The population is mostly blue-collar so it may be that they're not willing to shell out for an Amazon Prime membership and they like the excitement of going to the Dollar Store to see what new bargains are in stock.

As for Costco- no high mall rents, for one thing. They're usually off a major highway somewhere. I'm there weekly for food and liquor but really appreciate them for big-ticket items where there's a bewildering variety of choices (mattresses, computers, hearing aids, eyeglasses, tires). I can trust them to narrow their selection down to a few good ones and add a modest markup so I don't have to figure out if I'm getting a good deal.
Do you ever walk thru a dollar store, you'd be amazed at what you find. Greeting cards 2/$1..overstock hardcover books, and a huge array of good cleaning products. overstock of some great imported cookies/crackers..I probably go to physically shop at my grocery store..Aldi's and the dollar store..that's about it.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:36 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Malls killed the downtowns of many small cities and towns; big box stores are killing the malls; Amazon is killing the big box stores. What next...
Quote:
Quote:
Drone traffic will decrease when 3D printers become commodities. We will order the blueprints electronically and will print our own gadgets at home. This will save transportation and packaging. The trucking industry will shrink.
+1. Drones will bring you input filament for your 3D printer. You'll download data files online, until you learn to do it yourself. And you won't need a car anymore, it will be like choosing to own a horse today...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:26 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Funny you mentioned Sears. There is a small Sears desperately hanging on in a nearby mall. We used to go there all the time to buy gym clothes, athletic shoes for Mr. A., and the occasional appliance or tool.

Nowadays, we avoid the store. Their stock, if you can find what you want, is OK, but their help is...unhelpful, in the oddest way. On the surface, they act incredibly helpful and interested in customers. They swarm all over you, offering this and that service, but it's all useless and wastes time. They heavily push various incentives - points, payment plans - that turn out to be useless. They conduct time-consuming "database searches" for products that turn out not to exist. Checkout counters are always backed up due to all the "services" they try to sell each customer. I respect that these folks are doing what the company tells them, and trying to earn a living, but the store puts us off these days.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Where we live gas is expensive. Sometimes the weather is not great. Stores are often understaffed or staffed by people who either no little about what they are selling or are completely indifferent to customers.

Our on line shopping has increased substantially for all of the above reasons plus much better price/selection options that we get from on line purchases.

We also buy from Costco. No sales help but that is not much different from many of the so called full service mall stores. Lower prices and a return policy that is unmatched.

No wonder traditional retail is dying. There are some smart specialized retailers in our area who have twigged to the fact that if you provide excellent service and a good selection in a narrower range of product that customers will come. This is something that the Sears of the world have not been able to accomplish for decades. They are paying the price.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:32 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Funny you mentioned Sears. There is a small Sears desperately hanging on in a nearby mall. We used to go there all the time to buy gym clothes, athletic shoes for Mr. A., and the occasional appliance or tool.

Nowadays, we avoid the store. Their stock, if you can find what you want, is OK, but their help is...unhelpful, in the oddest way. On the surface, they act incredibly helpful and interested in customers. They swarm all over you, offering this and that service, but it's all useless and wastes time. They heavily push various incentives - points, payment plans - that turn out to be useless. They conduct time-consuming "database searches" for products that turn out not to exist. Checkout counters are always backed up due to all the "services" they try to sell each customer. I respect that these folks are doing what the company tells them, and trying to earn a living, but the store puts us off these days.

Amethyst
You just reminded me of my major pet peeve with Target, upselling the Red card at the end of the customer check out. I with my handful of items DO NOT want to stand there while someone opens a CC account...move em off to the side or open another register.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:02 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
You just reminded me of my major pet peeve with Target, upselling the Red card at the end of the customer check out. I with my handful of items DO NOT want to stand there while someone opens a CC account...move em off to the side or open another register.

I actually have a Red Card debit card version. 5% off every order. Combine that with already near-Walmart prices and 5% - 15% off lots of items using the Target Cartwheel app and one can save some impressive jack at the Super Target for minimal hassle and no paper coupon clipping. I think I got my card online so didn't make people wait for me. I have to say, I'm a fan.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:18 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Is the sewing totally automated?

I have no idea but the app is called M Tailor. I see on their website it says 4 week delivery from Asia so probably not.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:33 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

It will be a while before Amazon has a drone that can deliver a bag of manure to my backyard.

Also, when will we see a 3-D printer that can turn out a smartphone an AM radio? Oh, forget that, let's just see one that can print out a metallic object. Or must everything be made out of plastic?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote