Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-20-2016, 12:50 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
My Dad loved his job and worked until mandatory retirement at age 65. His wife (Mom) died the month that he retired. I decided that I would retire early even though I loved my job.

(I think news magazine reporters have a unique opportunity to work as long as they want. I hope their families get to enjoy them besides just on TV!)

I liked Morley. But I think it was just familiarity for me. Also another Canuck who made good SOTB.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2016, 01:08 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
These stories of folks dying shortly after retiring makes me think this might be more exclusive to people that truly loved and were defined solely by their jobs.

Any how always enjoyed Morley and Andy, RIP.

I guess, but Morley Safer didn't die because he retired. He retired because he was dying.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:29 PM   #23
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
I guess, but Morley Safer didn't die because he retired. He retired because he was dying.
I haven't heard much about the exact status of his health at the time of his last episode, other than he was in decline, but it sure seems like retirement might have hastened things.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:58 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
That seems pretty clear to me too. If that's what he wanted to do until his very last days, good for him. His load wasn't all that high in the last few years anyway, from what I noticed, so I don't think he was putting in 50-60 hours weeks to the end.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:40 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
?....it sure seems like retirement might have hastened things.
I don't know how you can make that assumption. Correlation is not causation. What we know so far is that (a) he was 84, (b) he had been in declining health for some time and (c) his wife said he died of pneumonia. My understanding is that retirement is not a recognized cause of pneumonia.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/19/bu...dies.html?_r=0
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:16 PM   #26
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I don't know how you can make that assumption. Correlation is not causation. What we know so far is that (a) he was 84, (b) he had been in declining health for some time and (c) his wife said he died of pneumonia. My understanding is that retirement is not a recognized cause of pneumonia.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/19/bu...dies.html?_r=0
I didn't know it was pneumonia. Correlation is not not causation, but its not entirely out of the realm of possibilities in some cases. I have known a few co-workers who were in good health and then died within a year or so of retiring, but much younger than Morley. We've all probably heard stories folks losing a spouse and then the other dies a short time later. Losing someone or something you love, even if its ones job, can certainly have an impact on your health and longevity.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:22 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I didn't know it was pneumonia. Correlation is not not causation, but its not entirely out of the realm of possibilities in some cases. I have known a few co-workers who were in good health and then died within a year or so of retiring, but much younger than Morley. We've all probably heard stories folks losing a spouse and then the other dies a short time later. Losing someone or something you love, even if its ones job, can certainly have an impact on your health and longevity.
Have you considered the hypothesis that he knew he was dying and retired so that his wife would be eligible for survivor benefits? That seems like an equally plausible situation.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:22 AM   #28
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Have you considered the hypothesis that he knew he was dying and retired so that his wife would be eligible for survivor benefits? That seems like an equally plausible situation.
I don't understand this comment, are you suggesting she would get no survivor benefits if he had not retired??
Old 05-21-2016, 06:28 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't understand this comment, are you suggesting she would get no survivor benefits if he had not retired??
Depends on the pension conditions, I expect.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:33 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

This thread reminds me of the death of a local TV personality many years ago. I know there are a lot of folks on this site that live (or who have lived) in the greater Houston area for a long time. Any of you long time Houstonians remember Sid Laser? He was the weatherman for KHOU (local CBS station) who died at the TV station just minutes before he was to go on the air. I think he died in the early 70's.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:19 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I knew a number of people during my newspaper career who worked well into their 70s. Most were art or music critics. They'd see shows on the company dime and deliver their opinions for a pretty decent salary. What's not to love about that?

One of the most memorable (to me) was Jim Auer, who was still on staff at the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel when he died at age 76. Interestingly, the author of his obituary, reporter Jackie Loohauis, died about a month after she retired a couple years ago. She too had trouble letting go of a career that enabled her to exchange banter with Mick Jagger and others.

Writer, photographer, cinematographer, historian, magician - Journal Sentinel art critic James Auer was the definition of a Renaissance man.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote