Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Retirement 2+ months in
Old 03-06-2019, 07:02 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Retirement 2+ months in

Retirement 2+ Months In

Well I am into my third month of retirement and I have some observations:
1. Exercise as early as you can otherwise it might interfere with your afternoon nap.
2. Shower, save and dress by 9 -any later and you are a bum
3. We are spending less than I thought. An afternoon bowl of special K is quite cheap and sometimes that’s all I want. My car sits ands sits
4. It is possible to sleep 2 hours in the afternoon and still get a good nights sleep
5. Retire in the spring if you can. I’ve got a wicked case of cabin fever I walked 45 minutes yesterday, it was in the twenties out there..needed exercise sure but partly because I also just needed to get out.
6. I look forward to some trout fishing, Florida, Villages lifestyle visit and a change of scenery.
7. The taxes Ours and DS are done and printed (the earliest ever). Ive passed off DD to her and her BF. I wont miss them.
8. As you approach 65 be prepared to be deluged with calls from insurance companies .. I hate them.

My hobby website is up and running but néeds a good deal more content; I am doing it slowly and takes days off when I am just not into it. That’s ok though I as am retired. Right?

Feel free to chime in... I know i still am a newbie
Yikes its 9:04 and I need to go take a shower..
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2019, 07:11 AM   #2

thanks Ray. It's 0911 and no shower yet. I guess I'm a bum.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:15 AM   #3

IMHO, lists are for work. There are a few things that are habits but I love the freedom to break old habits. Actually, this forum has become a habit. I think that's a good thing.

#2 - I shower at night. We have negative temps right now (IL). I walk the dog (45 min-1hour in the morning). Don't need to be fresh for that.
#4 - DH does that sometimes. I don't but I get tired super early, 8pm. Up at 5:30-6.

#5 - Waiting. CPA will text, call MAGI as soon as finished. This is my biggest concern. Not sure we need a CPA next year.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:22 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post

I am obviously a BUM, that is OK.

3. We are spending less than I thought. An afternoon bowl of special K is quite cheap and sometimes that’s all I want. My car sits ands sits

We can relate to that.

4. It is possible to sleep 2 hours in the afternoon and still get a good nights sleep

Not us, we go to bed at 10pm and get up between 7:30 and 9:00.

6. I look forward to some trout fishing, Florida, Villages lifestyle visit and a change of scenery.

we already live in FLA

7. The taxes Ours and DS are done and printed (the earliest ever).

Ours too, but will not send in till April 5th at the earliest.
Please see response in RED
Old 03-06-2019, 07:47 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

It’s 9:47 and I’ll be in the shower within 15 minutes.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
It’s 9:47 and I’ll be in the shower within 15 minutes.

The bum police police will be monitoring...
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:21 AM   #7

Many days I stay in my robe till late afternoon.... Just like Mr Hefner used to do.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:43 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I only shave Wednesday's and Sundays.
I'm up at 5:00 am, but nap an hour at 11:00 and 5:00.
In warm weather, t shirts are changed daily but my jeans shorts are changed when they get dirty.
I wear the same shoes every day--and have 4 identical pairs with differing amounts of wear.
We very seldom leave town in retirement except to go to out of town doctors.
Most of my talking is to my Rottweiler or two cats. Since they don't have smartphones, neither do I have one. I love being low tech.
Since ER 10 years ago, I have never stopped building. After my boat barn is finished, I plan on stopping building and just cut grass--and nothing else.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
A goatee is a goat with a beard
Old 03-06-2019, 11:01 AM   #9

A goatee is a goat with a beard

Quote:
Shower, save and dress by 9 -any later and you are a bum
This is a major disappointment. I had been looking forward to growing out my beard in ZZTop-like magnificence.

If I will still be required to shave, I might as well keep going to w*rk. Darn.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:05 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I too am a bum. It's a little past noon and I haven't showered or even gotten out of my PJ's. Of course, I still took a stroll to check the mail.

It's finally warming up a bit, so will probably change clothes and take the dogs for a stroll. Maybe I will even shave today. Or not.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:29 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Still in my pj’s but will have to be dressed by 11 for a appointment.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:27 PM   #12

I take exception with #2. I now shower in the afternoon. If I smell during the day, I’m really sorry.

#5. Have to wait until late March every year due to K1’s.

I would add that I shave every other day. Please refer to the answer to #2 if that bothers anyone
Old 03-06-2019, 01:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Retirement 2+ Months In

Well I am into my third month of retirement and I have some observations:
1. Exercise as early as you can otherwise it might interfere with your afternoon nap.
5. Retire in the spring if you can. I’ve got a wicked case of cabin fever I walked 45 minutes yesterday, it was in the twenties out there..needed exercise sure but partly because I also just needed to get out.
7. The taxes Ours and DS are done and printed (the earliest ever). Ive passed off DD to her and her BF. I wont miss them.
8. As you approach 65 be prepared to be deluged with calls from insurance companies .. I hate them.

My hobby website is up and running but néeds a good deal more content; I am doing it slowly and takes days off when I am just not into it. That’s ok though I as am retired. Right?

Feel free to chime in... I know i still am a newbie
Yikes its 9:04 and I need to go take a shower..
1. Yeah .... gotta do it by noon BUT to dog park early afternoon then final mile of the day

2. By 7 or 8 am as I meet up at Sbux by 8:30

3. Used to drive 2k miles a month, now barely 12k a year!

5. NA never that cold

8. OMG scam calls really increase!!
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:12 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

We are 5 years into retirement --- So much has changed --- Never imagined we would have ended up in Ft Myers, FL being from the midwest...... We love the winters, we go back to the midwest during the summers, along with travel around the US and 1 or 2 trips to mexico each year...... Got the Keto Kick and I have lost 100 lbs, DW has lost 40 lbs since May 2017...... Typical Day starts at the gym for 1.5 hours, then we swim for two hours .... Then we go to the beach, go boatin, or just run around on the golf cart visiting neighbors...... Come 7pm, we play bingo 4 nights a week ..... Life is really simple when you are retired ..... Seems were are busy
Old 03-07-2019, 03:31 PM   #15

#2 hits home. After getting up most of my life and jumping in the shower, it feels weird not to do that any longer. I've basically switched to either when I need it (summer time after working, sweating) or in the late afternoon or early evening (winter time). I'm pretty sure I've never gone 48 hours between showers though so not sure I can qualify as a bum. Thinking the shower thing is something I need to look into. I've been trying to get up and be more productive and maybe I need to get back to first thing in the morning shower habit. We'll see.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:01 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I must be doing something wrong. The 2nd most popular "retirement" question I get, after "what are you doing?", is "how come you still shave and dress so nice?"
Old 03-07-2019, 04:04 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
#2 hits home. After getting up most of my life and jumping in the shower, it feels weird not to do that any longer. I've basically switched to either when I need it (summer time after working, sweating) or in the late afternoon or early evening (winter time).
My showering habits changed in retirement too. I play golf or bike ride usually in the mornings so it doesn't make sense to shower beforehand. I usually shower late afternoons when going out or sometimes before bedtime.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:03 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

I’m on my 2nd full day without a shave or shower. Will definitely need to shave and shower in the AM if I want some nookie tomorrow night.

ER 12/15/2017
Now: Side Hustle(r) Extraordinaire
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:12 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

2 shaves per week
Old 03-07-2019, 10:09 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMATERP View Post
I’m on my 2nd full day without a shave or shower. Will definitely need to shave and shower in the AM if I want some nookie tomorrow night.
This reminded me of those Mitchum commercials..." I didn't use my deodorant yesterday...and I might not use it today".
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote