Retirement 2+ months in

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Retirement 2+ Months In

Well I am into my third month of retirement and I have some observations:
1. Exercise as early as you can otherwise it might interfere with your afternoon nap.
2. Shower, save and dress by 9 -any later and you are a bum
3. We are spending less than I thought. An afternoon bowl of special K is quite cheap and sometimes that’s all I want. My car sits ands sits
4. It is possible to sleep 2 hours in the afternoon and still get a good nights sleep
5. Retire in the spring if you can. I’ve got a wicked case of cabin fever I walked 45 minutes yesterday, it was in the twenties out there..needed exercise sure but partly because I also just needed to get out.
6. I look forward to some trout fishing, Florida, Villages lifestyle visit and a change of scenery.
7. The taxes Ours and DS are done and printed (the earliest ever). Ive passed off DD to her and her BF. I wont miss them.
8. As you approach 65 be prepared to be deluged with calls from insurance companies .. I hate them.

My hobby website is up and running but néeds a good deal more content; I am doing it slowly and takes days off when I am just not into it. That’s ok though I as am retired. Right?

Feel free to chime in... I know i still am a newbie
Yikes its 9:04 and I need to go take a shower..

Last edited:
thanks Ray. It's 0911 and no shower yet. I guess I'm a bum.

IMHO, lists are for work. There are a few things that are habits but I love the freedom to break old habits. Actually, this forum has become a habit. I think that's a good thing.

#2 - I shower at night. We have negative temps right now (IL). I walk the dog (45 min-1hour in the morning). Don't need to be fresh for that.
#4 - DH does that sometimes. I don't but I get tired super early, 8pm. Up at 5:30-6.

#5 - Waiting. CPA will text, call MAGI as soon as finished. This is my biggest concern. Not sure we need a CPA next year.

I am obviously a BUM, that is OK.

3. We are spending less than I thought. An afternoon bowl of special K is quite cheap and sometimes that’s all I want. My car sits ands sits

We can relate to that.

4. It is possible to sleep 2 hours in the afternoon and still get a good nights sleep

Not us, we go to bed at 10pm and get up between 7:30 and 9:00.

6. I look forward to some trout fishing, Florida, Villages lifestyle visit and a change of scenery.

we already live in FLA

7. The taxes Ours and DS are done and printed (the earliest ever).

Ours too, but will not send in till April 5th at the earliest.

Please see response in RED

It’s 9:47 and I’ll be in the shower within 15 minutes.

Many days I stay in my robe till late afternoon.... Just like Mr Hefner used to do.

I only shave Wednesday's and Sundays.
I'm up at 5:00 am, but nap an hour at 11:00 and 5:00.
In warm weather, t shirts are changed daily but my jeans shorts are changed when they get dirty.
I wear the same shoes every day--and have 4 identical pairs with differing amounts of wear.
We very seldom leave town in retirement except to go to out of town doctors.
Most of my talking is to my Rottweiler or two cats. Since they don't have smartphones, neither do I have one. I love being low tech.
Since ER 10 years ago, I have never stopped building. After my boat barn is finished, I plan on stopping building and just cut grass--and nothing else.

A goatee is a goat with a beard

Shower, save and dress by 9 -any later and you are a bum

This is a major disappointment. I had been looking forward to growing out my beard in ZZTop-like magnificence.

If I will still be required to shave, I might as well keep going to w*rk. Darn.

I too am a bum. It's a little past noon and I haven't showered or even gotten out of my PJ's. Of course, I still took a stroll to check the mail. :)

It's finally warming up a bit, so will probably change clothes and take the dogs for a stroll. Maybe I will even shave today. Or not.

Still in my pj’s but will have to be dressed by 11 for a appointment.

I take exception with #2. I now shower in the afternoon. If I smell during the day, I’m really sorry.

#5. Have to wait until late March every year due to K1’s.

I would add that I shave every other day. Please refer to the answer to #2 if that bothers anyone

Retirement 2+ Months In

Well I am into my third month of retirement and I have some observations:
1. Exercise as early as you can otherwise it might interfere with your afternoon nap.
5. Retire in the spring if you can. I’ve got a wicked case of cabin fever I walked 45 minutes yesterday, it was in the twenties out there..needed exercise sure but partly because I also just needed to get out.
7. The taxes Ours and DS are done and printed (the earliest ever). Ive passed off DD to her and her BF. I wont miss them.
8. As you approach 65 be prepared to be deluged with calls from insurance companies .. I hate them.

My hobby website is up and running but néeds a good deal more content; I am doing it slowly and takes days off when I am just not into it. That’s ok though I as am retired. Right?

Feel free to chime in... I know i still am a newbie
Yikes its 9:04 and I need to go take a shower..
1. Yeah .... gotta do it by noon BUT to dog park early afternoon then final mile of the day

2. By 7 or 8 am as I meet up at Sbux by 8:30

3. Used to drive 2k miles a month, now barely 12k a year!

5. NA never that cold

8. OMG scam calls really increase!!

We are 5 years into retirement --- So much has changed --- Never imagined we would have ended up in Ft Myers, FL being from the midwest...... We love the winters, we go back to the midwest during the summers, along with travel around the US and 1 or 2 trips to mexico each year...... Got the Keto Kick and I have lost 100 lbs, DW has lost 40 lbs since May 2017...... Typical Day starts at the gym for 1.5 hours, then we swim for two hours .... Then we go to the beach, go boatin, or just run around on the golf cart visiting neighbors...... Come 7pm, we play bingo 4 nights a week ..... Life is really simple when you are retired ..... Seems were are busy

#2 hits home. After getting up most of my life and jumping in the shower, it feels weird not to do that any longer. I've basically switched to either when I need it (summer time after working, sweating) or in the late afternoon or early evening (winter time). I'm pretty sure I've never gone 48 hours between showers though so not sure I can qualify as a bum. Thinking the shower thing is something I need to look into. I've been trying to get up and be more productive and maybe I need to get back to first thing in the morning shower habit. We'll see.

I must be doing something wrong. The 2nd most popular "retirement" question I get, after "what are you doing?", is "how come you still shave and dress so nice?" :)

#2 hits home. After getting up most of my life and jumping in the shower, it feels weird not to do that any longer. I've basically switched to either when I need it (summer time after working, sweating) or in the late afternoon or early evening (winter time).

My showering habits changed in retirement too. I play golf or bike ride usually in the mornings so it doesn't make sense to shower beforehand. I usually shower late afternoons when going out or sometimes before bedtime.

I’m on my 2nd full day without a shave or shower. Will definitely need to shave and shower in the AM if I want some nookie tomorrow night. :)

2 shaves per week

I’m on my 2nd full day without a shave or shower. Will definitely need to shave and shower in the AM if I want some nookie tomorrow night. :)
This reminded me of those Mitchum commercials..." I didn't use my deodorant yesterday...and I might not use it today".

Confused, even after 2+ years...

Where does that put me on days where I shower in the morning but then get right back in my jammies for the day?

Back
Top Bottom