Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How long have you been registered on this board?
< 1 month 6 5.66%
< 3 months 6 5.66%
< 6 months 5 4.72%
< 1 year 12 11.32%
< 1 year 6 months 15 14.15%
< 2 years 21 19.81%
< 2 years 6 months 8 7.55%
< 3 years 19 17.92%
< 3 years 6 months 4 3.77%
< 4 years 7 6.60%
< 4 years 6 months 1 0.94%
< 5 years 2 1.89%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Retirement Board Posting Tenure
Old 01-05-2007, 06:34 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm a 3 year-er also - when is graduation?

I'm a little behind on the posting count though.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2007, 06:52 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Registered Dec 2004
Old 01-05-2007, 06:53 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff

I'm curious about the membership curve here. For you long timers who have been here for 3 or more years, how many people were registered then? As with newsgroups, it seems that you need a critical mass to get enough posts to make a board interesting enough for people to come back to. After reaching that level they can be self sustaining. The early days can be pretty iffy.
Dory may be able to extract some avg. daily post stats from the board software, but I did some futzing around with the member list. Sorting on the "Date Registered" column I came up with these numbers showing approx. how many new members came on board each year beginning with the 6/23/02 start date:

Year 1 - 280
Year 2 - 450
Year 3 - 700
Year 4 - 1080

Yes, things were a little slow the first year or so, but not as slow as you might think. Because many of the members knew each other from TMF, there were a core of members who picked up where they left off and continued their FIRE conversations on the new forum.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:26 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I joined earlier this year when I was having a difficult time making the decision to retire. It wasn't planned, and I felt I had no other choice. Thanks to this forum, they set me at ease, although I took a real beating from some and left with my tail *********** well you get the point. I eventually came back, and will do my best to learn as much as I can about investing.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:19 AM   #25

Over 2.5 years here - I think I cam through the Retire Early homepage - actually still do - also read TMF, although didn't post - am familiar with Mosaic, usenet, BBS, gopher, archie, ftp, yada yada yada - amazing how things have changed over the years.

Still working, although, the plan is still intact for RE and may end up being earlier than originally planned, mainly due to better control of consumption (i.e. lifestyle choices)

It's great reading about all the different experiences here - helps to know one has so many choices. I'm glad Dory started this - I've gotten more information here before it hits the newspapers (now all the papers and financial rags tout the 4% rule) or magazines. I'm also amazed at the generosity of some of the members regarding the phenomenal tools they've offered for free (FIREcalc for one - amazing tool - as well as the pared down one available on Retire Early) - frankly, there aren't many excuses for not retiring early or at least knowing what it would take to retire early or even just retire (for those folks who think they'll need to work until they die). Knowledge is power.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:23 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

My profile says that I entered this den of iniquity on 4/8/2004 @3:31:29 PM. I can only assume that that date/time is correct.

The profile also says that I post an average of 1.038 posts/day (no doubt that that # will change as soon as I hit the Post button.) I had no idea that this critical data was available...I need to get a life I suppose.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:26 AM   #27

Less than a year. Reg'd April of '06.

Read M* VG Diehards prior to that for a couple years. Finally got sick of 248 thread posts of "Active vs. Passive" debates with little substance, sick of "Mr. hokey -y +s, and 'SWR is a lie'", etc.

Much prefer this format of forum, editing ease, moderators, etc.

I forget who mentioned this board on M*. Was it Nords?

I need to get around to donating here.

-CC
Old 01-05-2007, 10:30 AM   #28

I signed up in April of 2004. Wow. I didn't read regularly at first, though. I think I became addicted around Jan. of 2005. I found the board because there was an article in Newsweek (?) or somewhere prominent about FireCALC. From there I followed the link to the board.

At the time I first came here, I was stunned to find out there were actually real, sane (?) people trying to do what we were trying to do. We thought we were just lazy or freaks. Now we know we are both.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:34 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

How dare you call me lazy Sheryl. If I wasn't so comfortable sitting here in my comfy chair, I would get up in a huff and rant.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:37 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
some people change their identities fairly frequently
Now who the hell would do something like that?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:43 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo
Grumpy bunnies who haven't posted enough updates on Vida Guerra or Sofia Vergara?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:44 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
How dare you call me lazy Sheryl. If I wasn't so comfortable sitting here in my comfy chair, I would get up in a huff and rant.
Sorry Mickey - That wasn't aimed at you. I meant "we" my SO and I.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:16 AM   #33

Like Sheryl.... I found the site after I read about it in Newsweek. Registered in March '04... and very glad I found this place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo
El Guapo... what an awesome name - - "Would you say I have a plethora of pinatas"

...funny little bunny.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:38 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Yeah you got me. I just watched the movie with Gabe. He seemed a little intimidated by El Guapo but he liked Martin Short a lot. Made him giggle.

Anyhow, three plus years. When I found the place I was actually surprised that there were enough people interested in ER to form a little band and talk about it online. Why I was surprised is a mystery. It all seems so obvious now.

And i'm lazy and happy to admit it! Now for the other 11 steps...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:04 PM   #35
Dryer sheet aficionado

1.5 years. Registered on 9/23/05. On Springsteen's b-day no less.

Found you guys from the simple living network. I have learned a ton-Thanks

Mudd
Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:35 PM   #36

Feb 2003.

I think it was Scott Burns --> FireCalc --> Dory board.

Newcomers shouldn't have chased Ted away. That was the beginning of the lessening in interest for me. Not that newcomers in general are bad, quite the contrary. I have learned a lot here. And rejected a lot, too.

Would be nice if we could kill the knee-jerk group-speak sometimes. It has built up here as time has gone by. Just as an example, what newcomer is going to post (and return) about his/her managed funds? Anyone who isn't an indexer is an idiot, right? Oh oh, shouldn't have said that
Old 01-05-2007, 02:38 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Now now - how soon we forget.

Pssst - Wellesley.

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh eh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly
Would be nice if we could kill the knee-jerk group-speak sometimes. It has built up here as time has gone by. Just as an example, what newcomer is going to post (and return) about his/her managed funds? Anyone who isn't an indexer is an idiot, right? Oh oh, shouldn't have said that
Hey Telly...

I've never put a dollar in an index fund and I've posted here for 4.5 years. Maybe I'm considered an idiot by some for using managed funds (DODBX, DODFX, VWIAX), but it obviously hasn't slowed me from posting.

And speaking of Ted, wasn't he the guy who couldn't seem to get past the thought that anyone who retired early was a drag on humankind? Any wonder the forum took him to task?

Old 01-05-2007, 03:14 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Two years, six months. Dang, the time has gone quickly. I was just at the point of deciding whether to retire (from full-time work) or not, and the folks here were a real help. And I learn something new here every day.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:23 PM   #40

Yikes, Dec 2003. Found via a link on intercst's site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly
Newcomers shouldn't have chased Ted away. That was the beginning of the lessening in interest for me. Not that newcomers in general are bad, quite the contrary. I have learned a lot here. And rejected a lot, too.

Yeah, I miss Ted. He was as dogmatic as anybody here, but his dogma was pretty solid. And anybody who worked in the sewer can't be all bad.

I don't think anybody chased him away, though. He had mentioned that he was repeating himself too often, and he was planning to work as fee-only FA. My memory is bad enough that I can't remember when I'm repeating myself, so that keeps me around here singing the same old song over and over....
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote