Join Early Retirement Today

Retirement Personality type
Old 02-16-2005, 07:28 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Retirement Personality type

So I take the personality test linked on the retire early home page (http://retireearlyhomepage.com/), and it says I'm an ENFP, and according to that, I'm one of the least likely personality types to retire early. So my first reaction is "what a bunch of hooey!" But I wonder if the reason for this is how people envision retirement (waiting to die) in popular culture. If people had an expanded view of what retirement could be, perhaps more "personality types" would make it a goal. Anybody here take that test? Care to share their personality type?
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Retirement Personality type
Old 02-16-2005, 08:06 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think you're just an outlier. *I just read up on a ENFP, and i would tend to think that speaking generally, ER wouldnt be at the top of this person's list.

I'm an INTJ.

(edit) I'm a biologist, not an engineer ;-)
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:06 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

INTJ

We did this a while back - a lot of INTJ engineer types responded(I'm guilty).

Hopefully we have a broader more diverse forum now.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:15 AM   #4

INTP

I'm skeptical of a lot of behavioral science and folklore (like Zodiac signs), but the MBTI classifications have been interesting to me and have helped me frame a few perspectives about myself relating to others.

Even so, it's just an arbitrary category, not a destiny or plan of action. If you're ENFP and want to retire, go for it. (You'll probably have to feel good about it first though )
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:38 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

INFP, but don't know where that places on the retire early chart.
indymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 09:04 AM   #6

INTP who has "trained" himself to be an ENTP.
Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 09:10 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I am an ISTJ type and I lOVE retirement.
LovesLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 09:45 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
INTJ

We did this a while back - a lot of INTJ engineer types responded(I'm guilty).

Hopefully we have a broader more diverse forum now.
Yeah, somebody (intercast?) did a study quite a while back and there was this huge preponderance of INTJ's in the ER community. Very few "E"s. Which pretty much makes sense.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 10:40 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

INTJ

Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 10:58 AM   #10

I'm a classic INTJ engineer. A strong 'type A".
Funny thing is that after ER I took the test again. Now I'm ISTP!
Old 02-16-2005, 11:03 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe I can train myself closer to a ER personality type I think what motivates me is there is too much I want to do that is interfered with by having a 9 to 5 job. I'm not planning on being a stereotypical retiree. But I wonder if ENFP and related types are just too emotional or "gut feeling" oriented to sit down and do future value analysis of their portfolio. I read somewhere that half of people over 40 haven't even tried to figure out how much money they would need in retirement. Scary!
Old 02-16-2005, 11:03 AM   #12

I'm a full-blooded left-handed INTJ. *

I have to do things my own way. *I am self-employed and as much as I don't like working when I would rather be doing something else, I would feel 100x worse about working for a "boss" even though I know I would be one of the best employees.

I knew that working for a company wasn't for me when at one short-lived company job I had we kept having long dragged out meetings about the same problem over and over again. *I got so blood-boiling frustrated over a simple problem that was consuming all these man-hours that I bypassed everything discussed in the meetings, worked until midnight, fixed the problem on my own, and everyone was happy in the morning. *I don't know if this is how most companies operate, but I knew it wasn't for me. *So I started my own business and now I solve my own problems in minutes, not days or weeks.
Re: Retirement Personality typeIf people had an ex
Old 02-16-2005, 11:25 AM   #13

Re: Retirement Personality typeIf people had an ex

If people had an expanded view of what retirement could be, perhaps more "personality types" would make it a goal.

I think that's right. There's no question but that there is a higher percentage of INTJs at the boards than there is in the general population. I see two reasons: (1) INTJs are drawn to planning and it takes planning to retire early, so there really are more INTJ early retirees; and (2) The first board was started by an INTJ and was given an INTJ slant, and that has tended over time to attract even more INTJs while not attracting so many non-INTJs.

I'm an INFJ.
hocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:29 AM   #14

I wonder if ENFP and related types are just too emotional or "gut feeling" oriented to sit down and do future value analysis of their portfolio.

I think this is indeed a big issue. I think that non-INTJs can be persuaded of the merit of the Retire Early idea, but I don't think that you can be successful in persuading non-INTJS saying the same things as you would say to INTJs. Different personality types respond to different types of arguments.
hocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:33 AM   #15

People might want to take a closer look at intercst's study before they put too much weight in the conclusion that INTJs are far more likely to be early retirees. The sample is small and very biased. The test most people take to determine their personality type is only in agreement with the full psychological test about 60% of the time. etc. etc. . . I started reading the documentation for the study and the test a few years ago and came to the conclusion that this would never pass the test for a legitimate scientific study.

But it does make some reasonable sense. It seems like the INTJ personality is more likely to be ill-suited and uncomfortable with a corporate climate that values conformity highly. And a disgruntled employee is more likely to be looking for a way out than someone who thrives in the workplace environment. But there are other reasons for people to pursue the early retirement solution.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:36 AM   #16

I'm probably the only ESTJ Here.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:46 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

ESTJ?? Lets get him!!!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:53 AM   #18

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
ESTJ?? *Lets get him!!!
Nah, he's still got the "Thinking Judging" going for him....the E ans S just mean that he has more friends

This remindes me of a scene from the movie Freaks where everyone is chanting "one of us, one of us" for some reason...
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 12:00 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

So what does ENFP mean? That I'm too busy picking flowers and partying? I think my Dad influenced my outlook a lot by being someone who chafed under conformity and beuracracy (he retired at 55, not bad). But I agree my results may not be too accurate. I have Excel workbooks with projected budgets, surpluses, retirement savings, monthly cash flow, etc. etc. and I've got projected retirement savings totals worked out for 5 scenarios, from worst case to best historical returns through about 2045. So I do like some planning. Maybe I just don't fit in a mold, or need to take the long form test :-/
Old 02-16-2005, 12:03 PM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

INTJ.
Engineer.
My wife's an INTJ too (although not an engineer, she's an analyst).
ganda is offline   Reply With Quote