Join Early Retirement Today

Retirement Shoes...
Old 07-10-2017, 02:47 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Retirement Shoes...

When I was working, I wore shoes like these maybe 5% of the time. Since I retired, I now wear one or the other about 80% of the time. My (once beloved) Allen-Edmonds sit idle 99% of the time...life is good.

Winterish

Summerish

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2017, 02:53 PM   #2

Yup, sneakers all the time. I've worn black leather shoes perhaps once a year for weddings, funerals, etc.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:56 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Steel or composite toe for 25 years, now nothing but Nike Air and flip flops.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:01 PM   #4

Work. Black leather oxford lace ups, plain toe, no designs,, rubber soles and heal for better grip, highly shined every day before roll call( we had a machine and polish). Now most of the time sneakers , what ever brand is on sale when i need them and that are comfortable, some form of white . I like the look of clean white sneakers.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:04 PM   #5

Flip Flops unless I go for a walk.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:06 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I worked in R&D, and we only had semi formal dress the first few years I worked. After that, jeans and even shorts were fine, and with that, I usually wore sneakers. Unless I was visiting a customer, or going to a formal event, I never wore dress shoes. Now, in summer I'll often wear crocs (more around the house than out in public) or similar Keen sandals as shown in the OP. If I need something closed toe or plan to walk more, or in colder weather, I'll wear whatever running shoe has too many miles to keep running in, but is most comfortable for walking. For winter I've got some comfy snow boots if needed.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:25 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Right now I'm barefoot. That's the most comfortable of all.

Below you can see the shoes that I wear when I feel like wearing shoes.
Outside, I wear my New Balance running shoes. These are what I wore to work, except for formal meetings. But they get wet when it rains, so on rainy days I wear Teva sandals, that were not allowed at work.Recently I bought some Nike slide sandals that I wear inside the house sometimes, and they are very comfy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture6.jpg (8.3 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg Capture5.jpg (8.3 KB, 367 views)
File Type: jpg Capture4.jpg (4.6 KB, 371 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:28 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I wear the same Keen sandals as the OP, all summer. They are great to hike in, paddle in or just go to the store. No stubbed toes. In winter I wear LL Bean waterproof slip-ons. https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/8339...-on-shoe&csp=f
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:42 PM   #9

I've got 3 pairs of Merrells.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:49 PM   #10

Birkenstocks most of the year, leather clogs December-February. Sneakers for morning walks or bad weather.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:50 PM   #11

Always liked Merrills , but for real walking go only KURU shoes
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:00 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sandals (flip flops) about 10 months of the year. Whatever I find at Costco or Sam's. about 10 pair between the vehicles and the 3 exterior doors of the house (barefoot inside). These Reefs are comfortable, with good cushioning, but the bottle opener in the sole is wasted where I live- no glass allowed on the beach or near the pool.

Reef Fanning Sandals 2017 Mens | Reef

The other months are in Van's skateboard shoes and Sperry Gold Cup topsiders for the few "formal" affairs on the Redneck Riviera. Like Midpack, fond memories of my Allen-Edmonds, which haven't seen pavement in a few years.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:23 PM   #13

I feel like I had become an expert on shoes , we are part of a group that marches in a couple parades every year . I used to like Merrills but they cheapened them up . I like SAS but only certain ones . They make a dress shoe a Side gore that is incredible . But for real walking like parades or when we go in vacation only KURU , they make these for planter fac.

I do not cut corners on shoes , comfort costs but is worth it .
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:29 PM   #14

Nothing special. Why do you ask?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-07-10 at 6.27.34 PM.png (649.3 KB, 55 views)
Old 07-10-2017, 04:29 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Asics running shoes, Merrell hiking boots/shoes, flip flops on the deck or on the boat or kayak.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Right now I'm barefoot. That's the most comfortable of all.

Below you can see the shoes that I wear when I feel like wearing shoes.
Outside, I wear my New Balance running shoes. These are what I wore to work, except for formal meetings. But they get wet when it rains, so on rainy days I wear Teva sandals, that were not allowed at work.Recently I bought some Nike slide sandals that I wear inside the house sometimes, and they are very comfy.
You need nice looking toes for shoes like that. I knew a guy with ugly vein legs, I used to tell him exposing his legs in public was a felony.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 07-10-2017, 04:33 PM   #17

Vionic Flip Flops for out and about
Vionic slippers for indoors
Mizuno sneakers for running and walking

I have a closet that I designed around my shoes when I was working. I have racks and racks of gorgeous 4" heels that I could probably walk maybe 50 feet in now... but they still look pretty (just have to dust them now).
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:43 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

These work for me in the summertime;

Pretty sturdy, I can walk the dog on dirt paths, rail road right of ways (lotsa rocks) and sidewalks of course. Also cobble tested in Boston.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
These work for me in the summertime;

Pretty sturdy, I can walk the dog on dirt paths, rail road right of ways (lotsa rocks) and sidewalks of course. Also cobble tested in Boston.
A little nail trim might be in order, hahah
Old 07-10-2017, 04:46 PM   #20

People with toes like this should not wear open toe shoes https://www.google.com/search?q=disg...7QQ62cnM4lS8M: