Retiring on a Boat

avanderbroek

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello,

I am a reporter from Forbes.com researching a story on Americans who have chosen to retire on a boat rather than the more traditional route such as a retirement community, or simply a smaller home. I am looking at the economic implications of this - for example, how is the housing market affecting those without a home - if, at all?

If anyone has chosen to retire on a boat and wouldn't mind speaking to me I can be contacted at avanderbroek@forbes.net. Or, if you would rather post on it so all can see that would be wonderful as well!

Thank you,
Anna

sailing off into the sunset isn't all smooth sailing ya know...

sounds like a terrible idea. dockage can be more expensive than rent and you're bobbing up and down all the time. many people develop inner ear problems by the time they are old enough to retire. marinas are crowded and not liveaboard friendly. waterbugs, rats and snakes sneak onboard. to live cheaply on the hook, most retirees have neither the mechanical nor the survival skills to succeed in such a venture. living in a boat will just exaggerate your shortcomings and increase your frustrations. and how many people stay healthy into their retirement age?

have you ever watched 65-year-olds get out of their lounge chairs? now picture them climbing aboard. what happens to them in 10 years when their knees buckle? will they have the money to move back ashore? do you know how easy it is to twist an ankle on a boat? what do you do when you need an ambulance? most people are not well enough at retirement age to do any extended cruising. instead of retiring on a boat, such people would be better served by considering a nice landlubber's life in, say, texas for example.

edit: i forgot to add how unfriendly coastal communities have become to liveaboards. many are even trying to usurp ancient admiralty laws by restricting rights of navigation. and for all the freedoms & civil liberties for which baby boomers fought and of which they inherited & cherish, there is not even seach and seizure protection for liveaboards. community cops, shore patrol, coast guard, customs, all can enter your floating home without notice or even cause.

here are some current issues concerning liveaboards:

Stuart plans to pay boater, settle live-aboard lawsuit

Georgia Liveaboards Organization

Motion filed to declare waterways ordinance unconstitutional : Local Issues : Marco News

Last edited:
I'd love to read that article as well. I've often thought what a great idea that would be to retire on a boat.

Book on to a sailing charter or power boat charter for a couple of weeks first to see if you have the stuff to live aboard

have you ever watched 65-year-olds get out of their lounge chairs? now picture them climbing aboard. what happens to them in 10 years when their knees buckle?
I agree with just about all of your points, and I think you make a very logical and persuasive case against retiring on a houseboat. However I wanted to say a few words about this one point, with which I disagree.

Amazingly, my arthritis nearly disappears at sea on an oceanographic cruise. I think it's because you move your joints almost continuously as you balance once you get your sea legs (and rheumatologists do say that moving is good for osteo). The salt air is invigorating, too. At sea I can scamper up ladders easily and without a second thought, climb lithely through tight hatches or into an upper berth with ease, jump down, and generally keep up with the 20-somethings and make them look feeble.

On shore I'm almost 60 and nobody's fooled. :)

unless you've actually lived on a boat similar to the one you
intend to retire on for at least a year. it's sounds like an
incredibly bad idea to me.

I might enjoy a few months. But I would not like it permanently.

Back
Top Bottom