Join Early Retirement Today

Retraining the language I use
Old 05-18-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Retraining the language I use

It irks me when I see things like this article: First Person: How We're Planning to Save More Than $12,000 This Summer - Yahoo! Finance

but I'm guilty of it as well. My goal this summer is to be more precise with the language I use with regard to money. For example, the other day I caught myself saying that a pair of safety chaps would be a good investment. Obviously, it's not an investment but a capital outlay.

It's a mindset thing.

Another trap is "hey, look at how much I saved on this doohickey with the triple-flange adjustable torq thingamabob." That hides the fact that the purchase might have been completely unnecessary. From now on, I'm going to only talk about purchases in terms of money spent... and also only buy double-flanged doohickeys.
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My goal this summer is to never, ever get sucked into reading another pointless yahoo 'finance' article. 'Save' money by not getting the house painted every single year

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
My goal this summer is to never, ever get sucked into reading another pointless yahoo 'finance' article. 'Save' money by not getting the house painted every single year

-ERD50
Yeah, they're just painting the trim every year now But they're doing it themselves to save money!

Oh, and they're saving money by not planting perennials this year like they do every year. I'm not sure if they understand what a perennial is
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #4

I don't say I've saved money when I buy something on sale. I would usually never have bought it at the full price ticket-groceries or clothing.
I do say "I did good" when talking about a purchase that I think was a good price. Not buying something you don't need is a better savings.
As for that vacation, I was never going to spend $5k on a vacation 0ever.
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just have to stop saying "motherphucker" and offering people a "hot lunch."

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
I don't say I've saved money when I buy something on sale.
I had that conversation with wife #1. She came home happy that she'd "saved" 40% off on a sale. I had the lack of sense to ask "How much would you have saved if you'd stayed home?"

That did not go over well.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webzter View Post
For example, the other day I caught myself saying that a pair of safety chaps would be a good investment. Obviously, it's not an investment but a capital outlay
That depends. It's cheaper than surgery to reattach your leg after cutting it off with a chain saw.

Not to mention the pain involved.