Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Revenge on Tele Marketers
Old 01-24-2011, 03:47 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Revenge on Tele Marketers

A friend sent this to me in an email attachment and I just wanted to share it with the readers.

The executive summary is as follows: A tele marketer (TM) calls, identifies himself and -of course- informs the callee that he was selected to receive a free gift.

The callee says "Did you know Mr X?" then in a loud voice "Hey guys, get more more shots of the body..." He then tells the TM that Mr. X is deceased, a murder victim."

The TM apologizes andf tries to end the conversation but the callee -who identifies himself Detective Y- barks, "Hold on, this call has already been tracced and we may need you to come in for further questioning!"

Well, by now the TM's voice is obviously cracking with stress (I can't believe the "Detective" was able to keep him on the line) and it just gets more hilarious by the moment.

Its on a wave file and would not upload but its a hoot. I also saw it on You Tube at:

Or, you might google: Greatest Prank Call Ever! TomMabe.com Murder Scene

Lance

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2011, 05:27 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This is funny, but it has been around for a long time.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:07 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Thing is, I had a friend years ago who did this kind of work part time for extra money. She was a struggling single mom. Therefore, I don't want to be mean or abusive to the person - they might very well be someone like my friend - but I also don't want to be bothered by them. Simple solution - hang up without engaging in any conversation or waiting for a "gap".
If they interrupted me and wasted my time (sometimes I have to stop what I'm doing to run and look at the Caller ID), then I'm justified in returning the same. It's not mean/abusive if I do no more than what they did to me.

If they took the job, they have to accept that this is part of the job description. If they can't accept it they should find a job that doesn't involve annoying people. Don't take it out on me - what did I do?

Oh, and BTW, throwing in the 'single mom' description in there just pushes my buttons. I'm quite certain that I had nothing to do with her becoming a Mother, or her marital status, so why lay that little guilt trip on me?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Since dropping our land line a few years ago I don't think we've had a call from a telemarketer. Nice side benefit to going mobile only.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:15 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Is it wrong that when I answer the phone and it's either that momentary dead silence or a telemarketer and I'm feeling a little cranky that I immediately put the phone on speaker and mute and enjoy their discomfort as they either keep up the pitch or just keep repeating our name?

We only get calls from overseas for pharmacy products (go figure). Being on the do-not-call list is very effective otherwise.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:20 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
If they interrupted me and wasted my time (sometimes I have to stop what I'm doing to run and look at the Caller ID), then I'm justified in returning the same. It's not mean/abusive if I do no more than what they did to me.

If they took the job, they have to accept that this is part of the job description. If they can't accept it they should find a job that doesn't involve annoying people. Don't take it out on me - what did I do?

Oh, and BTW, throwing in the 'single mom' description in there just pushes my buttons. I'm quite certain that I had nothing to do with her becoming a Mother, or her marital status, so why lay that little guilt trip on me?

-ERD50
It was not my intention to lay a guilt trip on you. However, since it was perceived that way by you, others may think the same. Therefore, I've deleted my post.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:24 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Since dropping our land line a few years ago I don't think we've had a call from a telemarketer. Nice side benefit to going mobile only.

Except that they are starting to get there also... Some telemarketer got my cell phone number... so about once every two weeks I get some scam.... usually it is a few in a few days... then nothing for a long time.. then another batch of calls...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
It was not my intention to lay a guilt trip on you. However, since it was perceived that way by you, others may think the same. Therefore, I've deleted my post.

Since your's was quoted... it is still 'here'....

I don't see it as a guilt trip... but I am more in ERD's camp than yours... I am on the do not call list... I still get calls... when they call a LOT (say 3 to 5 times a day!!!)... I will answer and yell at the person to get me off their list... they usually do NOTHING... even though the law says they are supposed to... I do not have any sympathy for someone who does this work... they can find a more honest job IMO... (and yes... I think the job is dishonest)...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Worse than the telemarketers who violate the do-not-call list law are the calls from the permitted organizations such as those you have a current or recent business relationship with. I am always getting calls from my local cable TV company offering me expensive upgrades to their service. I got into an argument with one caller last week when she asked me a few questions about how much I was paying for my phone service ("Are you paying more than $30 monthly for it?"). I told her I was not but she just went on to another similar question which evoked a similar reply. I yelled back to her, "Why should I switch to your phone service which would be a bad deal for me?" then just hung up on her.

This is hardly the first time I have received calls like this and there is no real way I can stop them. At least I can shred all the MAIL they send me every week advertising their useless promos (couldn't I subtract the cost of their junk mail they send to me from my bill?).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:55 AM   #10

For those who are bothered by useless telemarketing calls despite being on the do not call list, here's my solution.

About a year ago, I bought a new phone system for the house. It has a base unit with answering machine, and several remote wireless units. It's a very good phone system in its own right, but it has a feature that no other system has, to my knowledge.

This one lets you put a block on up to 20 specific numbers, in addition to any number that has caller ID blocked (the ones that just say "unknown number" in the caller ID window). There are a couple of other systems that do the same thing, but this system is unique.

Since the caller ID information is transmitted between the first and second rings, other phone systems will ring once, then block further rings and disconnect. I didn't want even that initial ring. This system always suppresses the first ring, so you're not bothered at all. If you hear it ring, there's a good chance you'll want to pick it up.

Whenever I get a questionable call, I simply block that number. When I get up to the limit of 20 blocks, I just delete the oldest few blocks and keep adding new ones as needed. I maintain a list of blocked numbers and when I blocked them, and find that when I need to delete the oldest ones, they are always more than six months old. Those generic "unknown number" calls don't count against your 20 blocks.

If you're interested, it's the Uniden DECT 6.0 system, model 2188-3 (there are various systems with different numbers of remote wireless units so you can buy the number you need), and the whole thing cost me less than $100. Amazon and others carry it. Well worth it in avoided aggravation, and I highly recommend it.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Since your's was quoted... it is still 'here'....

I don't see it as a guilt trip... but I am more in ERD's camp than yours... I am on the do not call list... I still get calls... when they call a LOT (say 3 to 5 times a day!!!)... I will answer and yell at the person to get me off their list... they usually do NOTHING... even though the law says they are supposed to... I do not have any sympathy for someone who does this work... they can find a more honest job IMO... (and yes... I think the job is dishonest)...
I saw ERD's point and deleted my post so let's please just let it go.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
... it's the Uniden DECT 6.0 system, model 2188-3
Any idea of whether it would know the difference between "Private Number" and "Unknown Number"? I have a son who has privacy enabled on his number. I would like this solution if there were some way to allow his calls through. Sounds like probably not, though.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #13

Easy, free solution: Google Voice.

I have numerous numbers blocked already. When a telemarketer calls, I hang up, go to the webpage for my number, and click on the "block" link. Done.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
For those who are bothered by useless telemarketing calls despite being on the do not call list, here's my solution. ...

This one lets you put a block on up to 20 specific numbers, in addition to any number that has caller ID blocked (the ones that just say "unknown number" in the caller ID window). There are a couple of other systems that do the same thing, but this system is unique.
Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
Any idea of whether it would know the difference between "Private Number" and "Unknown Number"? I have a son who has privacy enabled on his number. I would like this solution if there were some way to allow his calls through. Sounds like probably not, though.
I'd also be concerned that I might miss an important call. It seems to me that occasionally a cell phone will come up with blank info. If one of my kids was in trouble and borrowed a phone to call home, I'd hate to have that call blocked by accident. Caller ID data can also just get 'lost' in the transfer.

Rare, no doubt, but it is a concern.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:21 PM   #15

I hate to admit that I agree with this from ERD50:
If they took the job, they have to accept that this is part of the job description.

BUT that video was absolutely hysterical...thanks for the laughs!!!!
Old 01-24-2011, 12:27 PM   #16

You don't have to enable the generic unknown number block, although we do. I find that we average at least one of those every day.

You can check out all the features in the user manual:
http://www.uniden.com/pdf/DECT2188om.pdf
Old 01-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #17

We don't get many unsolicited calls, but if we did, we'd be buying one of these. I don't know if they're available in the US. Check out the video for how it works. Brilliant.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:16 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

My default response to my land line ringing is Do Not Answer, let the machine take the call. My lovely exMIL's wacky daily messages (for 25 years) conditioned me to respond thusly.
Fast forward to the incessant telemarketer call era. Hmmm...would they deserve a response from me either?

Old 01-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #19

The following is a scenario I would use in the old days when I received a call from a tele-marketer (before we dropped our land-line).

Tele - Hello, is this Mr. X?
me - no, but I will call him. (yell) Hey Joe, the phones for you.
then I would tell the tele he was on the way and I would set the receiver down. In a few minutes if the tele was still holding, I would say Joe had to use the toilet but would be with the tele as soon as he was done. I would set the receiver down again. After a few more minutes, if the tele was still on the line, I would tell the tele that Joe was out of the bathroom, but the doorbell rung and he is answering it. But hang on, he will be with you shortly. This scene would continue until the tele gave up.

It was a game to see how long you could keep one on the line and waste their precious time. After using this technique, I never received a repeat call from the same company. I think they voluntarily put me on their do not call list.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:13 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Except that they are starting to get there also... Some telemarketer got my cell phone number... so about once every two weeks I get some scam.... usually it is a few in a few days... then nothing for a long time.. then another batch of calls...
Yeah, its not exactly a telemarketer call but my Thai cell provider has started sending me "promotion" offers, so maybe it's tele creep, as in a foot in the door

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote