Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Review" Under-Sink Mini-Tank Water Heater
Old 12-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Review" Under-Sink Mini-Tank Water Heater

After about 10 days with the new water heater, I can tell you that it works very well, and was worth the installation headaches.

We simply have hot water all the time. It takes about two seconds for the hot to start coming out of the faucet. Lena loves it, and says it was the "best thing we've done for a while."

No waiting to wash your hands, fill up a pot, or start the dishwasher.

My kill-a-watt tells me that it used 2.79 KWH in 49 hours, which means an average wattage of 56.9. At our rate that means it will cost about $75/year to operate. I set the temp to about 120 degrees, so that it won't be too hot for hand-washing. If we didn't have a two-lever faucet, I might set it higher.

If I turn the whole-house water heater off, hot water lasts for about 70 seconds, followed by a gradual cooldown (faucet runs at about 1.5 gals/min). Normally, by that time, the hot water from the whole-house water heater has reached the faucet, so it never cools off.

One should service it (descale) every two years -- I think I'll have the plumber do it.

In summary: Two thumbs up.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, I was gonna ask for an update.

I was thinking you might still get a lag between the little tank, and the main hot water, so that the water might run hot-warm-cool-hot. Good to hear it works well at 120F.

edit/add: You know, you might even save money by running the hot water for more than 70 seconds each time. If hot water is flowing from your propane tankless by then, you will only use electricity to maintain the temperature, rather than raise the temperature. And if the tankless provides well above 120F, and you draw enough to refill the tank with heated water, it won't even need to come on again until the temp has dropped.

But if you stop at 70 seconds, the tank has been filled with cool water, and will have to raise it to 120F.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I am so envious! My daughter had that in a rental house, and the water was hot enough to even make instant coffee or tea.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

The tankless is also set to 120, since the installer chose a cheaper controller. I might get a new controller and increase it some day.

I'd increase the mini-tank temp above 120, but since we have a two handled faucet, it's simpler to have the hot water at a good temp for washing your hands. We chose a two-handled faucet since a one-handled one often would cause the tankless to start even when you only wanted cold water.

I realized that if the mini-tank water heater isn't on, it will take a lot longer to get hot water from the faucet, but that will only happen during power outages (tankless can run without power).
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

I realized that if the mini-tank water heater isn't on, it will take a lot longer to get hot water from the faucet, but that will only happen during power outages (tankless can run without power).
My propane fired tankless water heater requires 110v power for the control panel, fan, and the pilotless electronic ignition. Yours must be different.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
My propane fired tankless water heater requires 110v power for the control panel, fan, and the pilotless electronic ignition. Yours must be different.
+1 mine requires power too. Never heard of one not requiring power. What do you have Al?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Al's tankless heater is electric, not gas. I think he meant that without power water can just flow through the heater unimpeded.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:20 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

The tankless uses propane, but requires a little electricity to run an exhaust fan and the control stuff. When the power is out, I feed it 110 from an inverter connected to the car.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app