Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-20-2020, 09:23 PM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
One option not mentioned so far is the possibility of filing a Mechanic's Lien for the last 50%. Finishing the job is not a requirement. It can be done for the materials only, such as this instance. One would have to check the requirements in their locale to see if an individual can file. Whether a licensed workman is required or even a written contract. It sure puts you and the cousin in less deeper riff compared to removing the shed.

As I mentioned earlier, rather than do anything else, I would stand tall and finish the work, then work out the money issue.
I agree. The mechanic’s lien, aka Material-man’s lien, suppiers lien, or construction lien is an ancient remedy. It can protect anyone who has provided labor or materials on a project like this. They are generally not very hard to file and can even result in foreclosure if the unappreciative neighbors fail to pay long enough. I’d have some fun with it and have my lawyer send then a notice detailing my entitlement to the lien. Once filed, it will cloud their title and prevent a sale without it being dealt with.

I’ve had kind of a “people pleaser” personality most of my life and have often had a hard time saying “no” or setting legitimate boundaries. At 67 I’m finally getting better at it. What I’ve learned is that I am not responsible for other peoples reactions to my legitimately set boundaries. But their reactions usually tell me all I really need to know about the relationship.

Hope it works out. I would lien them in a heartbeat and be sure of getting my material costs back.
troutnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2020, 09:34 PM   #122
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
We are close to the end of cabin season, will all of you be at the cabin again this fall.

If so I would approach her and say I've been thinking you not wanting to pay the cost of materials in full. Is there something about the build you don't like, or do you feel we didn't give you an accurate bill? You've made things awkward between us when all we wanted was to do you a favor. Any idea how many hours the two of you spent on her shed. . Say we spent X hours building this for you and shouldn't need to stand around waiting to get our money back. Neighbor, you do realize we are out of pocket for this money.? Best to be honest..
That sounds like a win for both sides. I wish I had your skills.
Vinnygret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 05:56 AM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We had a guy at w*rk who had a reputation for being a jerk. I actually got along with him and he was quite competent at his j*b. However, he always opened his mouth when he should have kept it shut. He was the guy who was known for suing his own mother (okay, it turned out it was his mother's estate, but...)

The one that got me was when his neighbor came over and plowed out his driveway using his own tractor. Unfortunately, the tractor broke down and was stuck in the drive. Coworker harassed the guy to get his blanking tractor out of his drive!

One of my other back-up tag lines is from THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN. Calvera (Eli Wallach) says "Sooner or later, you must pay for every good deed." aka "no good deed goes unpunished." YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:03 AM   #124
Give me a forum ...

I am truly amazed as how stupid some people can be.

My take on the matter is this: Explain to her that you did the labor as a friend, not as a business person. You were paid nothing and don't mind it. But, you are very disappointed that your efforts are rewarded with a demand to do more free work before you are paid for the materials as was agreed.

If she is still upset, be glad you are not married to her. Imagine the cost of that divorce!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:36 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I am truly amazed as how stupid some people can be.

My take on the matter is this: Explain to her that you did the labor as a friend, not as a business person. You were paid nothing and don't mind it. But, you are very disappointed that your efforts are rewarded with a demand to do more free work before you are paid for the materials as was agreed.

If she is still upset, be glad you are not married to her. Imagine the cost of that divorce!
But you know people are so different. If I was the neighbor I would have given them the cost of all the materials the minute they started building my shed. I also would have thrown in a bonus gift card to Home Depot to express my gratitude.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:08 PM   #126
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
Sometimes people need to be taught a lesson and often can’t or won’t learn otherwise. I would remind her that you’ve already paid out of pocket for the material and give her the receipts (she may have forgotten about the arrangement or may think you’re taking advantage of her and the whole thing cost way less than you told her). Tell her sternly in no uncertain terms she has to pay for the material and don’t let her off the hook. If she still refuses, burn the shed down🤣. On a serious note, if she doesn’t, finish the work next year, get the rest of the check for your material and never talk to them again. It’s only a vacation cabin so you don’t have to see them all the time.

Letj,
I'm 95% convinced the shed will be paid off in full in the spring, when it has been completed. That is the agreement my cousin and her came to in a fall discussion.
If for some reason it didn't get paid off, I would personally write her a check for what she gave us, and haul it away on a trailer.

Again, I'm mostly venting, because what I thought was going to be a relationship strengthening effort turned into crap, because of her silly behavior.

I will be nice in the future, but our relationship with this neighbor will always be no better than cordial after this.

Take care, JP
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote