Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-12-2017, 05:18 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow!

However, that is a really pretty lamp and I can see why you bought it.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2017, 05:50 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Just another reference point on these wire gauge and cord safety issues, to make it more understandable to others:

A typical desk lamp might commonly be rated for a max 60 W old-style filament bulb. We've probably all seen those labels right?

Well a 60 Watt bulb draws only ~ 1/2 Amp. So the cord would really only need to be rated for that to supply the bulb. Even a tiny 32 AWG wire is rated for that much current. And a 32 AWG wire is only 0.008 inches in diameter - tiny indeed (that's the diameter of the copper wire, insulation would be additional). A 32 AWG wire is about the size of a typical single strand from a typical multi-strand power cord - you know, one of those tiny little wires in the bundle of wires that make up the cord.

But these lamps have much heavier cords - to be able to handle the 15 A from the wall until the breaker pops, in case of a short in the cord/appliance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

-ERD50
Actually if you go to Lowes or Home Depot you see 16 and 18 gauge wire used in lamp cords. The web seems to be divided between 16 and 18 guage, but talks 16 beyond 25 foot. As pointed out led lights at a max of 25 w draw 1/4 amp. the issue in the past is that folks would plug a 1500 watt space heater into a #18 extension cord which is a no no. If there is a short the current will be far above 15 amps, so its the fact that the short would only last a very short time. The idea is that a lamp typically has a 8 foot or less cord so apparently #18 works. Here is a link to a guide for selecting light duty extension cords, (and thus wire guage) https://www.thespruce.com/select-pro...n-cord-1824710 note for lamps, clocks, up to 7 amps total up to 25 feet 18 guage is ok. 16 for 50 feet etc.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:30 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
... for lamps, clocks, up to 7 amps total up to 25 feet 18 guage is ok. 16 for 50 feet etc.
Yes. The major consideration for cords is voltage drop, which is linear with specifid resistance, linear with current and linear with length. Incandescent light bulbs just get dim with low voltage, but trying to operate a motor below its rated voltage can be problematic. Specific resistance goes down with increasing wire diameter, which allows length to go up.

There is actually no such thing as an "amp rating" for a piece of wire. Carrying capacity depends on its environment (free or packed in with other wires, for example), type of insulation (heat resistance), and ambient temperature. The code sort of wraps all of these issues together to develop a simple-to-use concept called "ampacity," but it is really a one-size-fits-none kind of concept.

Interesting Factoid: The conductors in high-voltage distribution systems (aka "the grid") actually heat up enough that wire sagging limits current carrying capacity in the summer.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:30 PM   #44

OK the process for the physical modifications have been set in place.

I somebody going to weigh in on which operating system to install?
Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:36 AM   #45

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Alas, I am afraid this may be the case. I was wondering why I couldn't seem to remove the socket.
As it turns out, there is a UK electric regulation that requires socket bases to be affixed at no less than 2 Newton meters torque.

In case I missed the answer asked, it is it a standard USA screw socket or some fiddle bayonet type bulb base?

All engineering aside, the lamp is gracefully designed.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:26 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
You worked in a much more efficient place. We would have the engineering meeting and that would spawn a tiger team to figure out the best solution. The ISO guru would hear about the project for which we did not have defined process and start a ISO effort to define the process for this new effort. After killing an acre of trees for the process documentation the quality lead would pick up their coffee cup an see the brown coffee ring and declare that was the brown circle of quality. We would leave and no one remembered about the tiger team or the engineering issue the started the whole effort. Soon someone would come up with an idea that would generate the next tiger team and the death of more acres of trees.
All of this reminds me of the documentation manual for an early database program (in very early shrink wrap form) in 1983 for the new IBM PC. Their blank pages between chapters all said, "This page unintentionally left blank." After trying desperately to make that package work for a client, I began to believe it!

Tags
british to american, lamps, rewiring