Richard Engel might want to ask himself, is it time to FIRE?

Not sure what these people are thinking ... sheep walking among wolves.

A college friend solved his mid-life crisis volunteering to go to Afganistan for 3 months to work on a defense contract. He lost his laundry when the green area was attacked following a visit from the president. The main gate was opened with a car bomb then they took over the laundry room for a few minutes ... before being killed.

We had a candid discussion about doing these things when you're 20 yo - not 50 plus.

We had a candid discussion about doing these things when you're 20 yo - not 50 plus.
That is interesting. From one pov anyway, dying at age 50 is less a tragedy than dying at 20. The 50 year old has had 30 more years to enjoy what lie has to offer.

Ha

IMO, reporters like Richard Engel have a vital role as they give an account of what the situation really is like first hand. Yet, at the same time, he was lucky that the captors didn't separate him from his team and then do the psychological torture as they were separated. At least they had each other communicate with, even in blindfolds.

Last edited:
If you roll the dice long enough, sooner or later it will come up snake eyes.

That is interesting. From one pov anyway, dying at age 50 is less a tragedy than dying at 20. The 50 year old has had 30 more years to enjoy what lie has to offer.

Ha
My thoughts exactly. For me, there is something about the very young dying that is particularly painful. It is the knowledge of all that promise that will not be fulfilled.

My observation of Richard Engel as a reporter is that he is ALWAYS at the front lines.
He's been on the frontlines in Iraq and Afghanistan, in Syria, in Palestine, all over the Arab Spring uprisings.

The guy is clearly an adrenaline junkie.

He speaks Arabic and Farsi - which comes in handy given the areas he covers.

Good reporter, but he is not doing any of it against his will - I get the feeling he loves the danger aspect.

I have made the comment to my DH several times that I was afraid that he would end up being killed one of these days. I definitely hope that I am wrong, but he is always in the thick of it.

+1. I like the guy, as he seems to do his job wih integrity. I also like his reporting on MSNBC live when he comes back to the US sometimes.

IMO, reporters like Richard Engel have a vital role as they give an account of what the situation really is like first hand.

CBS Lara Logan is another adrenaline junkie reporter. It is has already got the poor woman sexually assaulted (or worse) in Egypt, almost killed in Afghanistan, but I understand she is always itching for a dangerous assignment.

I admire their bravery and pity their loved ones, worse than being a soldier.

Back
Top Bottom