Riddle me this one

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Why is it that one can buy a reasonable 65" Flat screen TV for ~$600, and yet a decent small 10 - 12" tablet, Android or iPad cost upwards of $450 for a half decently memory equipped version?

It sure seems strange, doesn't it?

While we're on the subject of electronic device costs vs. sophistication, why does a hearing aid, with one IC, a microphone, a speaker, and a volume control cost $3,000-$4,000 whereas a 65" HDTV with a remote control costs $699?

Same reason a clock costs less than a wristwatch.

the answers to many of these can be found on the internet. Search engines are your friend :).

Why is it that one can buy a reasonable 65" Flat screen TV for ~$600, and yet a decent small 10 - 12" tablet, Android or iPad cost upwards of $450 for a half decently memory equipped version?

It's a brand user interface thing I have several Fire HD tablets and they all cost less then 3 digits.

Or get a Chromebook..

While we're on the subject of electronic device costs vs. sophistication, why does a hearing aid, with one IC, a microphone, a speaker, and a volume control cost $3,000-$4,000 whereas a 65" HDTV with a remote control costs $699?

Better to compare to an android phone for $100, has the speaker, microphone, volume control, and a LOT more than a hearing aid.

^^^^^ Yup, but I am in the market for a Tablet not a hearing aid or phone ......... not yet anyway. :)

Expensive things come in small packages.

Buy the TV and put it on your lap. You will then have the answer why the smaller thing costs more.

While we're on the subject of electronic device costs vs. sophistication, why does a hearing aid, with one IC, a microphone, a speaker, and a volume control cost $3,000-$4,000? ..............

I heard recently they will no longer require a prescription for hearing aids, and the cost should come down a lot. Don't recall the time frame they were talking about, or how likely it is to actually happen. If I needed them I would look into that though.

TVs are made in huge quantities as a near commodity so the production process has been ruthlessly refined. They have plenty of internal space, so sophisticated packaging is not required. There are multiple manufacturers at various price points engaged in what must be a brutal competition - reminds me of the hard drive wars. Interestingly it looks like more iPads are sold than TVs each year - and I mean iPads alone, not including competing devices.

I bet it boils down to technology cost, packaging cost, and a big heap of "what the market will bear" cost.

For those that were ever in business, my next statement will be a “duh”. For some it might be something new.
There are two methods of pricing:
Cost plus. Take what it costs you to build, add what you need for margin and that is your cost. Competition and other factors be damned.
Market pricing: price it at what people are willing to pay. Usually the most profitable because you can always lower your production cost and if the product is desirable enough, you can get multiples of your cost.
Retail is usually at market pricing. That is why Nike can make a shoe for $5 and sell it for $150. People will pay it.
Same holds true for tablets. Folks will drop $300-$500 for a small internet enabled device because they want it.

Back
Top Bottom