Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

RIP - Bobby Unser, 3-Time INDY 500 Winner
Old 05-04-2021, 02:49 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

RIP - Bobby Unser, 3-Time INDY 500 Winner

Bobby Unser was an amazing driver and commentator.

I'm glad he got a long FIRE following his storied c*reer.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/03/bobby-...er-dead-at-87/

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2021, 01:36 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Followed both Al and Bobby most of their racing careers back in the day when racing was a great sport.. AJ was my favorite Indy car driver but I liked the Unser bothers too. I had lost some interest in Indy car racing until this year, when Jimmy Johnson switched over from NASCAR.

May Bobby RIP....
Old 05-05-2021, 02:13 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Followed both Al and Bobby most of their racing careers back in the day when racing was a great sport.. AJ was my favorite Indy car driver but I liked the Unser bothers too. I had lost some interest in Indy car racing until this year, when Jimmy Johnson switched over from NASCAR.

May Bobby RIP....
My first INDY 500 was 1963. IIRC my last was 1991. Best era was up to maybe 1982 or so IMHO. Not a big fan of the "wings" and definitely not a fan of the change from USAC to USAC/CART and especially not to IRL. Heh, heh, you can tell I'm an old guy.

Actually enjoyed the "old" 2-weekend qualifications "back in the day" more than the race. For the race, I had a family friend (part time official) who saved a parking space (with a barrel) back by the inside 2nd turn un-reserved bleachers. IIRC, "good seats" were going for $25 and up. I got "a" seat and parking space for $4. A cooler of cokes, a big bag of chips and some ham 'n' cheese samiches and I was good for nearly 4 hours.

From the mid 60s to the early 80s, it was Unsers, Foyt, Lone-Star JR and the USAC gang. What a time in motor sports. Too fast to even watch now except on TV though YMMV.

God Speed Bobby.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:05 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

It was AJ that got me interested in Indy car racing.... Probably because he lived in Houston where I grew up... I actually saw him in person a couple of times. He was often in the local papers because of his "extra curricular" activities... Like driving ~3 times the posted speed limit on loop 610 in Houston. Originally the article said 175mph back in the day.... The last time I saw it in print was in the New York Times and it was up to 200mph....

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/02/us/02houston.html
Old 05-05-2021, 05:46 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

ABC Wide World of Sports was a staple in our house and exposed me to sports way outside of those around me, including racing. So the names of the race car drivers of the 60s and 70s are very familiar to me. RIP Mr. Unser.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:55 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I met him in about 1973-4 when he had been in a terrible crash in Arizona, then came home to Albuquerque to see his doctor. I worked for his doctor. He was terribly bruised and yet very kind to me. I was just out of college. I never saw him race, but I do remember someone who was obviously in a great deal of pain making the effort to be agreeable.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote