Join Early Retirement Today

RIP - Erin Moran
Old 04-22-2017, 08:01 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

RIP - Erin Moran

Sad news. Erin Moran, famously known as Joanie from "Happy Days" and "Joanie Loves Chachi" dead at 56.

Quote:
Moran was found by Harrison County dispatch officers in Indiana responding to an "unresponsive female" report. Upon arriving at the scene, officers identified Moran and she pronounced dead at the scene, a Harrison County Sheriff official confirmed.
Erin Moran Dead: 'Happy Days' Star Dies at 56 | Hollywood Reporter
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2017, 08:17 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow that's sad and she was young. RIP Erin.

Interesting that Henry Winkler has already tweeted his sentiments which are shown at the bottom of the article.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:20 PM   #3

So young...very sad to hear.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:29 PM   #4

Sad news for somebody so young. RIP.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:58 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

That is sad. Her quality of life hasn't been good in recent years it seems.......

Happy Days star Erin Moran downgrades her California home for a rundown trailer park | Daily Mail Online
RIP - Erin Moran
Old 04-23-2017, 05:36 AM   #6

RIP - Erin Moran

Over the years I remember reading of what seemed to be a very unhappy person. Another Hollywood cast off. Forgotten and desperately seeking to re-enter the limelight.

I can't help but think how was it she went from child star to losing her home, broke and now in the trailer park.

All too sad.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:51 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Is it a case of money being managed unwisely?
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadway View Post
Is it a case of money being managed unwisely?
I would certainly assume that played a part in it, but I would guess there was also an element of mental illness (depression?) and probably some substance abuse at work here, as well. Her story over the last 5-10 years would seem to indicate her life was plagued by these demons.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:52 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I would certainly assume that played a part in it, but I would guess there was also an element of mental illness (depression?) and probably some substance abuse at work here, as well. Her story over the last 5-10 years would seem to indicate her life was plagued by these demons.
My first thought is the curse of the child actor/actress no able to find parts after the show is over. Not saying there weren't other elements but that is a common theme, like all the kid actors on "Different Strokes" that got in trouble one way or another and ended tragically for two of them.

RIP.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:53 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I suspect the old expression "Too much, too soon" is a major factor in many such cases.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
My first thought is the curse of the child actor/actress no able to find parts after the show is over. Not saying there weren't other elements but that is a common theme, like all the kid actors on "Different Strokes" that got in trouble one way or another and ended tragically for two of them.
Two of the three actors from Diff'rent Strokes suffered from substance abuse issues (Todd Bridges and Dana Plato), and Gary Coleman had major medical issues his entire life stemming from his congenital chronic kidney disease. Not being able to find parts after the show ended certainly played a role, to some degree, in each of their lives, but it seems like there were larger factors at work for each of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I suspect the old expression "Too much, too soon" is a major factor in many such cases.
I think we tend to focus on the tragic, sensational cases (like Erin Moran) and overlook the far more prevalent cases of child actors who go on to have pretty normal, successful lives. For every star-crossed Diff'rent Strokes cast of kids, there are numerous other shows where not a single child actor went on to have a miserable or tragic adulthood. For example, I don't think any of the girls who starred in The Facts of Life had any major, newsworthy troubles later in life. Same with the child actors from Full House, The Wonder Years, Family Ties, and many others.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:05 AM   #12

What did she die from ?
Old 04-23-2017, 10:05 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Here's a good article about does entertainment industry and former child stars.

Quote:
If you are like me, you have probably wondered why so many former child television, movie, and music stars have ended up addicted to drugs and alcohol, and just in general are living lives marked by excessive levels of melodrama and notoriety.

From Judy Garland in Hollywood’s Golden Age to contemporary figures such as Michael Jackson, Macaulay Culkin, Britney Spears, and Lindsay Lohan, there are innumerable case histories of individuals who found success on the stage, screen, and in the recording studio at tender ages only to be plagued by bouts with substance abuse and mental and emotional breakdown as they advanced into adulthood.
The ariticle's conclusion:

Quote:
Celebrity itself is not to blame for the problem behavior of famous people, but the fact that so many seek fame with such hunger and desperation, as if it were the only thing that mattered, is a sign of deep-seated psychological and emotional immaturity. Child stars all too often are the victims of such misguided ambitions, rooted in the subconscious of their caregivers, and this is why it is hardly surprising that so many eventually fall into the greedy, grasping clutches of drugs and alcohol.
Has the Entertainment Industry Ruined Child Star Lives?
Old 04-23-2017, 10:06 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
What did she die from ?
Hasn't been determined yet.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:06 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I think we tend to focus on the tragic, sensational cases (like Erin Moran) and overlook the far more prevalent cases of child actors who go on to have pretty normal, successful lives. .
As I recall, Opie Taylor did pretty well for himself.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I think we tend to focus on the tragic, sensational cases (like Erin Moran) and overlook the far more prevalent cases of child actors who go on to have pretty normal, successful lives. For every star-crossed Diff'rent Strokes cast of kids, there are numerous other shows where not a single child actor went on to have a miserable or tragic adulthood. For example, I don't think any of the girls who starred in The Facts of Life had any major, newsworthy troubles later in life. Same with the child actors from Full House, The Wonder Years, Family Ties, and many others.
Agreed...that's why I included the qualifier "many such cases".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:55 AM   #17

I remember reading awhile ago that she was very bitter about Happy Days and refused to take part in reunions, etc. I don't recall the reason why.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:03 PM   #18

She's been in reunions. In the last one I remember when the cast was asked whether everyone got along she jumped right in to say yes. There was a rumor that Henry Winkler made unwanted advances toward her. If any cast member other than her said everyone got along it wouldn't be as believable. Winkler even tried to get her work not long ago but it didn't work out. Many of the cast spoke to her but they couldn't help.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:01 PM   #19

Rest In Peace Erin
Old 04-23-2017, 02:20 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Two of the three actors from Diff'rent Strokes suffered from substance abuse issues (Todd Bridges and Dana Plato), and Gary Coleman had major medical issues his entire life stemming from his congenital chronic kidney disease.
Gary Coleman's parents also ripped him off to the tune of millions. He ended up suing them. He's not the only child actor who had parents steal their money.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote