RIP: John McAfee Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExFlyBoy5

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
By suicide while in a Spanish jail awaiting extradition to the US.

He lead an awfully *interesting* life. I have spent half the morning reading about his adventures (and misadventures) in life...and wow. I knew of some of his antics but I had no idea how many there were. I would guess that a Netflix docuseries is in work as we speak....watch out "Tiger King."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/23/tech/john-mcafee-death/index.html

Some articles of interest:

From 2010: https://www.fastcompany.com/1615167/plagued-lawsuits-mcafee-founder-hunts-cures-belize

John McAfee, the antivirus-software pioneer, says he’s lost most of his fortune — but doesn’t care. To the contrary, he now hopes to give something back by deriving antibiotics from jungle plants in Belize. Really?

From 2012: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/11/mcafee-security-founder-wanted-for-murder-in-belize/
John McAfee, the man who originally founded McAfee Security, is now wanted for murder in Belize. He has been named as the prime suspect in the death of another American expat, Gregory Faull, who was shot and killed in his home Saturday evening in San Pedro Town, off the Belizean mainland.

Saw the documentary that came out about him a few years ago, if at all accurate he was a mentally ill individual.

When I knew John 2006-2009 he was an eccentric, risk taking, but gentile, kind person. He loved living in my part of the world in the bootheel of New Mexico, and the Chihuahua mountains.

When he left he auctioned some things, and than opened his compound to the community to take what they wanted. If you were a friend he couldn't do enough for you.

I followed John's journey after he left town, and he didn't seem to be the same person I knew. RIP

When I knew John 2006-2009 he was an eccentric, risk taking, but gentile, kind person. He loved living in my part of the world in the bootheel of New Mexico, and the Chihuahua mountains.

When he left he auctioned some things, and than opened his compound to the community to take what they wanted. If you were a friend he couldn't do enough for you.

I followed John's journey after he left town, and he didn't seem to be the same person I knew. RIP

Didn't know him at all, but sure lusted after his Rodeo NM compound complete with old vintage trailers and matching cars when that auction took place. Understood that he had ultralight buddies base and fly out of there.

Didn't know him at all, but sure lusted after his Rodeo NM compound complete with old vintage trailers and matching cars when that auction took place. Understood that he had ultralight buddies base and fly out of there.

Yes and the legal filings in a wrongful death suit (where he had a flight school who was run by someone who only had a sport pilot's license) where a client was killed by getting boxed in a canyon points to the allegations that he was trying to sell off his US possessions to avoid monetary judgement(s).

I would not be surprised if speculation begins, like Epstein, whether he actually committed suicide. Definitely a real strange eccentric character.

I would not be surprised if speculation begins, like Epstein, whether he actually committed suicide. Definitely a real strange eccentric character.

Perhaps, but his latest Tweets (in the last few weeks) pointed to some mental issues that could make suicide as a "good" choice for him. I am not sure if he was tweeting or a friend/family member was relaying messages since he was in jail.

Seems like very different situations. There are a lot of rich and influential people that seemed to have a lot to lose if Epstein got talkative, and he hadn't been in jail for too long--less than a month. McAfee had been locked up for 9 months, and I'm not sure who would really need him to be dead.

Seems like very different situations. There are a lot of rich and influential people that seemed to have a lot to lose if Epstein got talkative, and he hadn't been in jail for too long--less than a month. McAfee had been locked up for 9 months, and I'm not sure who would really need him to be dead.
Apparently he spent some time on Epstein's island and knew about what went on there? Or not. I read it on the internet. Of course everything we read on the internet must be true. :2funny: Wikipedia says he was heavily involved with illegal drugs, at least one unsolved murder, driving while drunk with firearms, and a half dozen other edgy things.

But anyway - - whether it was suicide, or murder, or whatever - - apparently McAfee chose to live a very risky lifestyle and sadly I guess it finally caught up with him, one way or another. Such a tragedy for someone that bright to come to life's end this way.

Too bad. I've been losing family left and right these days and although I am glad they are all doing well, sometimes a person has way too many bad years. I suppose I should just refrain from posting.
The subject of the OP deserves no recognition for his behavior of the last couple of decades.

75 is a good run anyway.
At least it seems so when you’re 50-ish.
Some of our older members might not agree. :)
<raise hand>

This is an RIP thread, so let’s give the deceased the benefit of the doubt and pay our respects. Plenty of opportunity elsewhere for criticism and gossip.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if you are offended, I'll refrain from posting.

I’m not offended and there’s no need to stop posting. RIP threads are ways to acknowledge someone has passed, and that’s not the right time or proper place to criticize a person’s life. As I said, plenty or opportunity to do that in other threads.

I'm sorry if you are offended, I'll refrain from posting.

I thought it was funny.

I was thinking that John doesn't have to go through the angst of LTC insurance or retirement home selection.

Hearing of his death, made me recall way back, how I used to collect computer viruses and would hunt around the University for infected machines. This was around 30 yrs ago.

By suicide while in a Spanish jail awaiting extradition to the US.

He lead an awfully *interesting* life. I have spent half the morning reading about his adventures (and misadventures) in life...and wow. I knew of some of his antics but I had no idea how many there were. I would guess that a Netflix docuseries is in work as we speak....watch out "Tiger King."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/23/tech/john-mcafee-death/index.html

Some articles of interest:

From 2010: https://www.fastcompany.com/1615167/plagued-lawsuits-mcafee-founder-hunts-cures-belize

From 2012: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/11/mcafee-security-founder-wanted-for-murder-in-belize/

The last I knew about McAfee antics was during the 2008 subprime meltdown. He was living in NM then.

The following Web page updates me on his whereabouts and activities since he left NM.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/3146799/fugitive-john-mcafee-gun-toting-world/

The speculation started the day he died. But like Epstein, it will be buried... No pun intended..

Last edited:
I didn't know anything about him, but found this video of his amusing.

Posts were deleted and the thread closed.

As a reminder of forum policy:

1. Members may still post individual RIP threads for each notable passing and discussion will proceed along as currently. Please always check for a recent thread before making a new one; we often get 2 or 3 when someone has just recently passed.

2. At the end of each year, all RIP threads opened during that year will be combined into one consolidated thread for the year.

3. In the new year, individual RIP threads may be opened until they too are combined at the end of the year.

Please PM any moderator or administrator if you have questions or further suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom