Join Early Retirement Today

RIP - Marvelous Marvin Hagler
Old 03-14-2021, 08:46 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

RIP - Marvelous Marvin Hagler

I'm not a huge sports fan, being mostly into baseball and boxing. But when I was a kid I did a little boxing and it was during the era of the Middleweight Kings. Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas "Hitman" Hearns, Roberto "No Mas" Duran and my favorite, Marvelous Marvin Hagler.

Marvin died yesterday at 66. No cause as yet released.

RIP Champ.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1pH8M0Jo.jpg (27.4 KB, 42 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2021, 08:51 AM   #2
gone traveling

He grew up in Brockton MA. Which is a rough part of Boston. RIP MMH.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:45 AM   #3

The Hagler-Hearns fight was one of the best I've ever seen, only lasted 3 rounds but an all out slugfest.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 11:15 AM   #4

Remember him well, growing up in Massachusetts. Apparently he lived here in NH. That 3 rounds with Hearns was an incredible fight.
finnski1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 11:27 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas "Hitman" Hearns, Roberto "No Mas" Duran and my favorite, Marvelous Marvin Hagler.
I had totally lost interest in boxing until these guys came on the scene. I was a Sugar Ray fan. Loved when he would wind up with one fist and then punch the opponent with the other. The opponent never saw it coming.
JRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 11:48 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
The Hagler-Hearns fight was one of the best I've ever seen, only lasted 3 rounds but an all out slugfest.
+1 Very entertaining fight.
Old 03-14-2021, 12:34 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

RIP-Marvin Hagler. Strange that the family doesn't want to say what he died off. I guess, it's private. But still a bit odd, IMO.

Since the RIP for Leon Spinks about a couple months ago I've been watching old boxing matches on youtube.

The Hagler-Hearns fight was just wild. Both whaling on each other the entire first round.
Old 03-14-2021, 12:39 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

RIP, Marvelous Marvin. He was one of the great boxers of our time.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 01:08 PM   #9

Unlike most boxers Hagler was pretty good managing his money, estimated to be worth close to $50M.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 01:37 PM   #10

Retired at 32* and worth 50MM. He was an E-R role model as well !

*we'll ignore his second career as an actor in Italy.
Old 03-14-2021, 01:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRon View Post
I had totally lost interest in boxing until these guys came on the scene. I was a Sugar Ray fan. Loved when he would wind up with one fist and then punch the opponent with the other. The opponent never saw it coming.
I liked the Tyson era of heavyweights as well that followed them but that Tyson era couldn't match this one (for me) because of the lack of quality opponents.

These four guys were all class (most of the time), incredibly well matched against each other and all produced legendary fights.

The depth of talent of the era was probably only second to the Ali/Foreman/Frazier/Holmes era.
Old 03-14-2021, 01:46 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
RIP-Marvin Hagler. Strange that the family doesn't want to say what he died off. I guess, it's private. But still a bit odd, IMO.

Since the RIP for Leon Spinks about a couple months ago I've been watching old boxing matches on youtube.

The Hagler-Hearns fight was just wild. Both whaling on each other the entire first round.

Easy you want to see one of the best slugfest fights on youtube, google “George Foreman/Ron Lyle fight”. Now that was the all time best heavyweight brawl fight ever. From the mid 1970s. I think it lasted 5 rounds and they took turns decking each other to the canvas. I think the 5th round Foreman got decked again, and got off the canvas to deck Lyle for the knockout. If memory serves Howard Cosell was on the mic.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 01:54 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Easy you want to see one of the best slugfest fights on youtube, google “George Foreman/Ron Lyle fight”. Now that was the all time best heavyweight brawl fight ever. From the mid 1970s. I think it lasted 5 rounds and they took turns decking each other to the canvas. I think the 5th round Foreman got decked again, and got off the canvas to deck Lyle for the knockout. If memory serves Howard Cosell was on the mic.
Thanks for the reminder. I remember that fight when it happened as well as the Hagler/Hearns.
Old 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM   #14

The greatest fight of all time, for me, was the 1990 Julio Caesar Chavez vs Meldrick Taylor bout. It was Ring magazines fight of the decade for the 1990s.

An incredible fight.

An incredible ending.

The effective end of a career.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:55 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Thanks for the reminder. I remember that fight when it happened as well as the Hagler/Hearns.

Easy, If you want to go off beaten track watch the 2002 fight of Larry Holmes vs Butterbean. Holmes was 52 or so then but still had solid control over ol Butterbean, ha.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:03 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I met Marvin in a bar south of Boston probably around 1988-1990. He bought me a beer!
It was just him his body guard and me and my buddy at the bar. It was rather early in the evening, nobody else was there. He was a complete gentleman just a great guy and very humble too. He arrived driving a Porsche with his body guard following in an SUV. I'm a car guy so we talked about that too. He said he preferred to drive.
I jokingly asked why he needed a body guard, lol. He said "you'd be surprised how many guys want to fight me" and he couldn't defend himself otherwise he'd be sued.
He made a quite the impression on me. Just a wonderful man.
NewEnglander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:11 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
He grew up in Brockton MA. Which is a rough part of Boston. RIP MMH.
Yes, one of his nicknames was the "Brockton Bomber". I had a work client who was named "Brockton" because his father was a huge Hagler fan but didn't quite want to name him "Marvelous" .

I used to watch boxing a lot at that time, as there were just so many good fighters in the middle divisions. Although the press portrayed Hagler as sullen and moody, I also heard from others that we was a great person outside the ring, friendly, kind, patient with fans, and generous. RIP.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:12 AM   #18
Administrator

Multiple posts speculating on Hagler and COVID related matters were removed. Let’s all do our part to make sure COVID does not infect this thread.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 02:22 PM   #19
gone traveling

One of the kings from the golden age of middle weights, RIP Marvelous Marvin. Sugar Ray is still my all time favorite from that era.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:34 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

What a great era of middleweights .... Marvin, Thomas, Sugar Ray, Duran ... the Hearns/Hagler fight sticks in my mind as an epic battle.
albireo13 is offline   Reply With Quote