RIP - Mickey Gilley

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
RIP Mickey Gilley:
Country singer Mickey Gilley, best known as the pioneer of the "urban cowboy" style, died Saturday in Branson, Missouri, his publicist Zach Farnum said. He was 86.
The Natchez, Mississippi native "passed peacefully" surrounded by family and close friends, according to a statement issued by Farnum. He had recently returned home from the road after playing 10 shows in April, according to the statement.
Gilley had 17 number one country records, starting with "Room Full of Roses" in 1974. Gilley also had major crossover success in 1980 with a country-flavored cover of Ben E. King's "Stand By Me," going to number one on the Billboard Hot Country listings and number three on the Adult Contemporary chart.
Gilley's musical career got new life with the film "Urban Cowboy," which starred John Travolta and was set at Gilley's own honky tonk club in Pasadena, Texas. The movie helped to popularize country-western culture in urban environments, including mechanical bull riding, which was the focus of the film's action.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/news/country-singer-mickey-gilley-dies-at-age-86/ar-AAX1LRv

Sorry to hear that... I spent a few weekends at his honky-tonk in Pasadena. Yes they had a lot of fights there, yes they often had saw dust on the dance floor and yes they had girls there that would knock your eye out (not literally)

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that... I spent a few weekends at his honky-tonk in Pasadena. Yes they had a lot of fights there, yes they often had saw dust on the dance floor and yes they had girls there that would knock your eye out (not literally)

I spent a few good times there too. I even rode the bull. :)

Mickey Lee Gilley, Jerry Lee Lewis and Jimmy Lee Swaggart were cousins, and they all learned to play the same piano. You could hear it in their music.

But Mickey Gilley was my favorite of the three. He was very successful in his nightclub, and was an avid and skilled private pilot.

Jerry Lee and Jimmy Swaggert were skunks of another color--despite being raised by the same granny.

I remember those nights at Hernando's Hideaway in Memphis when Jerry Lee would stagger in about midnight with a big bottle of Jack Daniels. He'd play awhile, drink awhile and cry awhile about the life he'd led--until daybreak. And he was really something. And he's still not very mellow at 86 years of age. Hard to believe he's lived that long.

Yes, MG was one of the reasons I got into Country Music. RIP indeed.

I spent a few good times there too. I even rode the bull. :)

Been there a few times in the ‘80’s, rode the bull, and saw some rodeos. Now, I wish I had bought the t-shirt(s).
My days at Gilley's were in the 74 to 75 time frame... Honestly, I don't recall even seeing the mechanical bull. I'm not sure when that was brought in. Most of my time was spent on the dance floor or drinking lots of longnecks with friends. I never bought a t-shrit either but I do remember getting a Gilly's bumper sticker on my pick-up truck (a badge of honor in Texas). Once I got married I never went again since my DW wasn't big fan of country music or beer joints. :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom