Join Early Retirement Today

Risk sharing
Old 12-14-2019, 09:54 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Risk sharing

There is a huge Eucalyptus tree near our home. These trees are known to get totally blown over in high winds as their roots are very shallow.

I got a couple estimates, both in the $10-12k range to cut down (was looking at installing solar). There are also power lines.

I'm thinking that the Utility Co and my Insuance both are at risk, as am I. Have you ever heard of these entities cost sharing in a preventative procedure?

I'm paranoid to call my Insuance, as they may say I should mitigate this risk, and won't cover future claims.
gcgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2019, 10:06 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I'm amazed at that price, how huge is this tree ?

Any photo to share ?

How did this tree get so huge if they are easily blown over ?
Old 12-15-2019, 03:31 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I'm amazed at that price, how huge is this tree ?

Any photo to share ?

No one said (and they are not) easily blown over !
One of the fastest growing trees in the world - we have a couple that we planted in 1992 - they are 50 feet ++ now and going up fast.
roots are not necessarily shallow - depends on ground they are planted in.
They do have a reputation for drying out higher up (in the tree) and large branches snapping off with no warning ... they tend to kill people if they fall on them (widow maker is one nick name given to tree !)
Father in law planted one , it came down about two years ago - core trunk was about 6 feet in diameter ... it was not that old (est 60 yrs old)

price seems about two times maximum I would have guessed (I would try a 3rd and 4th quote from someone further away !!)
Cortina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 04:59 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
There is a huge Eucalyptus tree near our home. These trees are known to get totally blown over in high winds as their roots are very shallow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortina View Post
No one said (and they are not) easily blown over !
Huh? The OP said they are!

Quote:
I'm paranoid to call my Insuance, as they may say I should mitigate this risk, and won't cover future claims.
My only experience with this, after a hurricane came inland and struck Raleigh, a neighbor had a damaged tree that was a clear threat to come down on the house. She called her insurance company, and they said they wouldn't cover taking it down, but thanked her for reporting it so they could make a note in her file about it, and not cover it if it did fall since she was ignoring a danger. I don't know if that's the standard, or what they'd say about a healthy tree, but I think you are right to be paranoid.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:43 AM   #5

We have an arborist that we use, and I think the most we ever paid to have a tree felled and removed was $3-4K for the big one really close to the house, because it was more work to make sure it didn't hit the house as they took it down.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:07 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Well, Eucalyptus means somewhere warm and moderate where everyone wants to live. So I'm assuming that factors into the price.

Service workers in well sought out places are finally demanding wage to match so they can actually live there.

Just guessing by the tree type, though.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:36 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Neighbors have a huge overgrown mimosa tree, several branches broke off this winter.
She wanted to have the tree removed so she called the local electric company. We have been watching this tree as it overhangs into our property.
The electric company did come out and trim back branches that were hanging over the lines, but she is responsible for the rest of the tree. She got an estimate of several thousand dollars.
Needless to say, it is still there. At least the branches that were over our fence and shed are the ones that came down already, luckily with no damage to our property!
We have called the utility company in the past regarding another neighbors tree that had branches rubbing the power lines and causing sparks. Both the fire dept and power company came out. We were hoping they would force the owner to remove the tree, but the Power company only trimmed back the branches from the lines and left it as is. We continually trim back the branches we can reach that cross over our fence to our property.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:10 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
I'm paranoid to call my Insurance, as they may say I should mitigate this risk, and won't cover future claims.
I would definitely not call the insurance company and say that you think this tree is a hazard. Definitely they will put that on your 'permanent record'.

If you aren't dead set on getting rid of the tree, you could look into just having it pruned so it doesn't catch the wind and dead limbs are removed, probably much cheaper. You'll also then have a record of maintaining the tree.

A tree service did a state of health on my 100+' big leaf maple, said it was healthy but if I wanted it removed, $20k. I'm having a couple of limbs removed anyways on the house side for my peace of mind. They think it's 200-300 years old - I don't want to kill it!
Old 12-15-2019, 02:49 PM   #9

I wouldn't get the utility involved. At least around here, if they think the tree has the slightest risk of causing an outage, they'll hack at it with the sole purpose of eliminating THEIR risk. And in some states, they can do that without regard to the value or life of the tree. When they do that here the tree looks awful and lopsided. If I were you, I would just get more (lower, I hope) estimates and pay for it myself.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
I wouldn't get the utility involved. At least around here, if they think the tree has the slightest risk of causing an outage, they'll hack at it with the sole purpose of eliminating THEIR risk. And in some states, they can do that without regard to the value or life of the tree. When they do that here the tree looks awful and lopsided. If I were you, I would just get more (lower, I hope) estimates and pay for it myself.
I just went through this exact scenario with the power company. They came to our subdivision and clear cut a swath right through all our properties. As in they cut them down to the ground. I lost over 20 trees that were 70+ feet tall. The beauty and privacy of my yard that I have enjoyed for almost 25 years has been permanently destroyed. I will never get that back. So yeah, call the power company. If they feel that tree is a danger to their lines they will probably take it. But they may take a bunch of others while they are at it. Beware the power company. They are heartless.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:05 AM   #11

My neighbor had a tree that reached over my last house. I chipped in a few hundred bucks so that he would have it removed.
He was a crappy neighbor and though it wasn't my responsibility it was worth it to never deal with him anymore.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:14 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Definitely shop around. I had some trees on my Mom's commercial property that we wanted removed. We got a quote of $3k from a local guy that had done some much cheaper tree removal in the past. I called around and found a guy who did it for $800.... and he did a very good job.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:18 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I had to have two, very large trees removed and stumps ground on a commercial property. Total was about $3000. Shop around.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:22 PM   #14

Yes, the tree is big, and yes, I have shopped around. It's Maui.

Was more interested in if anyone had experience with other at risk parties sharing in preventative maintenance costs. The concept made sense to me, but real world seems otherwise.

Don't think I'll be asking my Insuance. Don't want it on my "permanent record ", and another friend in RE biz said homeowners are responsible.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:46 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Permanent record. ha ha.

Two weeks after I changed to Amica, after not having had an accident in the previous 30 years, someone nailed me. I called and asked some theoreticals.

She said, relax Joe, just call Erie. We won't put this on your permanent record.

Of course, it was pretty clear it was not my fault but the other guy's (Erie).

Anyway, do not admit anything. Just take care of it.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote