Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-10-2017, 04:35 PM   #101
Dryer sheet aficionado

The history I heard behind the open carry law in Texas was there were people who could not have a CHL because of criminal convictions. They pressed legislatures to have open carry as an attempt to circumvent the process. Surprise! The legislatures agreed, but with the provision open carry holders qualify under the standards of CHL. Ha!

Personally, why would I want to let someone know I have a firearm outright? So they can take me out first before they start hurting others?
Retirement Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2017, 04:54 PM   #102

I yell at other drivers... but only from the confines of my car... usually something like "you JERK!" if someone cuts me off - or changes lanes to in front of me then slows way down.

I honk if a) someone is changing lanes and doesn't see me (blindspot or some such) or b) the light has been green for a while and they don't realize (because of stupidity, texting, or whatever).

I would NOT honk at someone texting on the road - they are already distracted and honking at them might make them swerve or do something that would endanger ME. I try to give them a lot of room and get around them or fall back from them. (Same thing if I suspect another driver is drunk).

I don't speed up, pass, and pull in and slow down... that doesn't serve any purpose and might get me rear ended.

In college I was visiting a friend in the bay area and there was an incident with another car when we were driving in Oakland - we flipped them off after we perceived they'd cut us off. They ended up following us off of the freeway and jumping out and surrounding us a light... 5 guys surrounding 2 young women... it was scary. I try not to flip people off anymore.

But yeah... I yell at other drivers, from the confines of my car with the windows rolled up. Other than that I drive as defensively as I can.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:02 PM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nice, but how would you feel if they kill somebody while texting and not paying attention to the road, fast lane particular. Would your conscience be bothered? It would for me. How about if they were about to kill a kid like one of your kids. Especially now that California passed the law of no cell phone while driving, I still see them. I wish there is a number to inform police to go after them, reckless behavior that needs to be stopped period.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:59 PM   #104
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retirement Nerd View Post
The history I heard behind the open carry law in Texas was there were people who could not have a CHL because of criminal convictions. They pressed legislatures to have open carry as an attempt to circumvent the process. Surprise! The legislatures agreed, but with the provision open carry holders qualify under the standards of CHL. Ha!

Personally, why would I want to let someone know I have a firearm outright? So they can take me out first before they start hurting others?
I think the good thing about it is that now you are not breaking any laws if you conceal and it prints, or you lift your arms and it shows....
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:41 AM   #105

I find this thread a little scary. I spent my adult life travelling and logging well over 1.5 million miles. I would seldom even use the horn, preferring to focus on evading the dangerous situation. Driving is serious business and I don't believe most of the people on the road aware of that.
A major reason I FIRED myself.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:38 AM   #106

Open carry is generally considered an extension of your 2nd amendment rights, except in about 5 states, where state laws restrict the practice. Some states require a CHL or TLC to open carry, but not as a rule.
Citizens not familiar with handgun safety or handgun laws are often freaked out with someone carrying "open". But the hazard is perceived, are those who are carrying "concealed", hence the laws for permit/license to carry "concealed". In earlier times, most households had someone in the house who was familiar with firearms, as a veteran or hunter, but that trend slacked off. Only with some of the recent lawlessness, has gun sales and their trained use, been on the rise.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:41 AM   #107
Administrator

In CT, we need a permit for anything to do with a firearm. There are three types: 1) a pistol permit allows you to purchase and carry a pistol on your person (open or concealed). It also allows you to purchase and carry a long gun and purchase ammunition. 2) a long gun permit allows you to purchase and carry a long gun and purchase ammunition; 3) an ammunition permit only allows you to purchase ammunition. All require application to the local and state police. Obviously, the smart thing to do is get a pistol permit, because it allows the most things.

The big issue at the statehouse this session is whether the police can require that you show them your pistol permit, which the law requires that you have on your person when you have a firearm, without probable cause that you have violated the law in some way. It became an issue because some guy was open carrying in line at the Dunkin Donuts, people freaked out, and when the police showed up, he refused to show his pistol permit, claiming that it was not required. It is an interesting legal question, but to my mind, the smart move is not to freak people out in the first place, so I would only carry concealed.

And, yes, brandishing a weapon in a road dispute is a really bad idea. You will get charged for that, and they could take away your permit (assuming you have one).
Old 03-11-2017, 06:45 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
Open carry is generally considered an extension of your 2nd amendment rights, except in about 5 states, where state laws restrict the practice. Some states require a CHL or TLC to open carry, but not as a rule.
Citizens not familiar with handgun safety or handgun laws are often freaked out with someone carrying "open".
I'm about as pro gun as you can get and a life NRA member but I personally don't like open carry. (an exception below) To me it's just asking for problems. YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I think the good thing about it is that now you are not breaking any laws if you conceal and it prints, or you lift your arms and it shows....
Again, IMO, this is one of the few good things about open carry and is probably one of the main reasons it became law in many states. I know it was an issue here in Texas. In the past, if you accidentally displayed your gun (example, coat lifts or is blown open) as a CHL holder, you were considered breaking the law and could be prosecuted. It was a big deal here.

Note - I'm surprised this thread hasn't been closed yet. So I'll say thanks to the mods while it's still open since to many of us, these are important issues.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:01 AM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
The big issue at the statehouse this session is whether the police can require that you show them your pistol permit, which the law requires that you have on your person when you have a firearm, without probable cause that you have violated the law in some way.
This has been another issue in Texas. I've heard and read it both ways but common sense just tells me to show my license to the police if asked or stopped for any reason. The last firearms class I took, the instructor clearly said to show your CHL/LTC anytime you interact with the police, no matter if asked or not.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:20 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
In PV MX, we expect drivers to make left turns from the right hand lane AND right turns from the 3rd lane on a 4 lane road. There is little road rage. When the light changes, you just wait and see what happens.

On the road to Costco, there is an advanced left turn signal for the left hand northbound lane. I have made it when there were cars both to my right and left making the same turn! You have to have your wits about you at all times and forget about rules.

Carrying a gun is illegal in Mexico. Good thing!
Old 03-11-2017, 07:27 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Nice, but how would you feel if they kill somebody while texting and not paying attention to the road, fast lane particular. Would your conscience be bothered? It would for me. How about if they were about to kill a kid like one of your kids. Especially now that California passed the law of no cell phone while driving, I still see them. I wish there is a number to inform police to go after them, reckless behavior that needs to be stopped period.
If that was directed at me - who chooses not to honk at an already distracted driver....

I make that choice out of fear that if I honk they might swerve- because they are *already* a menace on the road. How would you feel if you honked at a texting driver they were startled and jerked the wheel... and killed a kid like one of yours or my kids.

I think we're both coming from a similar place - abhorring the texting drivers and fearful they will cause an accident. But we're approaching it from different places - you by honking in hopes they'll calmly stop texting and pay attention to the road... my be not honking and moving my car as far from them as possible in fear they might hit me or another car.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:27 AM   #112
gone traveling

While I don't think this is what Rodi meant to imply, if a distracted texting driver crosses the centerline or might somehow hit me or someone else, I am most certainly going to lay on the horn.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:28 AM   #113

I became a much more alert, considerate, patient, forgiving motorist ever since I got my motorcycle license. When I'm on two wheels I feel my vulnerability intensely. Knowing that I would lose a paint swap, even with the tiniest SmartCar, puts it all in perspective.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:26 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
This has been another issue in Texas. I've heard and read it both ways but common sense just tells me to show my license to the police if asked or stopped for any reason. The last firearms class I took, the instructor clearly said to show your CHL/LTC anytime you interact with the police, no matter if asked or not.
Although I haven't been stopped since 1979, I would gladly show my LTC and the location of my sidearm to the officer, if I was stopped now.

I,also, don't open carry. People are unnecessarily freaked out already about guns, and I prefer not to provoke.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:35 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's exactly what we were taught. My CCW was separate from my DL. When I was rear ended on I-70 I gave the officer both cards and he immediately handed the CCW back.

When we were through I asked why, explaining that I was told to always give it to LEO. He responded "thanks but since you can legally carry without one in this state I treat everyone as if they might be carrying. He pointed to the console of my truck and said you can legally carry there." He didn't know and at that point I didn't inform him that's where my 9mm Sig Sauer was stored.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:49 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, in Texas, it IS a "shall inform" state (anytime you are asked for identification, which should indicate that you have been stopped for a good reason as opposed to just "chatting" at say a gas station check out) so you HAVE to tell them you are armed. The couple of times I was stopped while living in TX, I simply gave them my CHL with my DL and that was the end of it. There has been more than one occasion when a TX DPS trooper has been aided by an armed citizen, so they tend to treat them well.

Here in Georgia, you do not have to inform. I have never informed and I have never been asked, either. For the most part, if you act professional during a stop (don't be an ass!) then there is no real reason to bring it up. There are quite a few folks who would say (if asked by the officer) nothing or refuse to answer the question. I don't think I would take that route, but I haven't been asked, either.

Interestingly enough, I find that I drive more courteous when I am carrying a weapon (all the time), because frankly, like my fire extinguisher in the kitchen, I hope to never need it and have to use it. And really, even if I get very frustrated at the driver who cuts me off, getting pissed about it and voicing my opinion (telling them they are #1 or horn) will do absolutely NOTHING to change their behavior. NOTHING. So...in the end, I just think to myself, "I bet that person is late for w*rk, and I would be an ass too. But, I am NOT going to w*rk, so I can sit back and smile".
Old 03-11-2017, 10:04 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
If that was directed at me - who chooses not to honk at an already distracted driver....

I make that choice out of fear that if I honk they might swerve- because they are *already* a menace on the road. How would you feel if you honked at a texting driver they were startled and jerked the wheel... and killed a kid like one of yours or my kids.

I think we're both coming from a similar place - abhorring the texting drivers and fearful they will cause an accident. But we're approaching it from different places - you by honking in hopes they'll calmly stop texting and pay attention to the road... my be not honking and moving my car as far from them as possible in fear they might hit me or another car.
I did say you were nice thinking of them. I have a different personality, I can stand these jerks.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:08 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
While I don't think this is what Rodi meant to imply, if a distracted texting driver crosses the centerline or might somehow hit me or someone else, I am most certainly going to lay on the horn.
This is on the busiest freeway in the USA, the 405. Driving in the fast lane, keep a longer distance from the next driver, they drive slower than normal but texting or looking down at the cell phone. On a single day, I can count at least 10 on my round trip back and forth to work. I hunk the horn so they can focus on driving and put away the cell phone. One accident and it will delay traffic for many hours. That's when people have real road rage. They can't get to work on time, they might have to miss their flight because it's on the way to LAX airport.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:22 AM   #119
gone traveling

Quote:
This is on the busiest freeway in the USA, the 405. Driving in the fast lane, keep a longer distance from the next driver, they drive slower than normal but texting or looking down at the cell phone. On a single day, I can count at least 10 on my round trip back and forth to work. I hunk the horn so they can focus on driving and put away the cell phone. One accident and it will delay traffic for many hours. That's when people have real road rage. They can't get to work on time, they might have to miss their flight because it's on the way to LAX airport.
I hear ya, it was a long commute on freeways that were under construction that convinced me to retire. Aside from these clowns on cellphones, my biggest pet peeve is the high speed tailgaters that think their in a NASCAR race, so dangerous if you have to apply your brakes.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:32 AM   #120

Quote:
I did say you were nice thinking of them. I have a different personality, I can stand these jerks.
I'm not thinking of them - I'm thinking purely selfishly.... If I startle them they are more likely to swerve.... potentially impacting me or some other driver near them. I consider them to be jerks and dangerous - and give them large leeway to protect myself from them.

Does that make sense?

I'm not avoiding honking at them out of "niceness".

And yes - if they do swerve in front of me - I'll definitely lay on the horn (as I try to avoid being hit.)